Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 57 is home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Jul 19, 2013.

1. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I don’t know why it is, but 57’s really get me going.

bchctybob, Stogy, Elcohaulic and 3 others like this.
  2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks and stay Safe Rich!

3. That's very strange that the issue is the 3-4 shift. Usually if there's any trouble, it's the 2-3 shift is where it shows up. The 1-2 and 3-4 shifts are simple forward-and-back movements. It may be shimmed too tightly, 'dragging' the 1-2 lever enough to interfere with the internal interlocks or possibly a part slightly bent. I will say that having the neutral gate precisely adjusted is critical, if it's off even a tiny amount it will make a difference.

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Well.......jumping around here.... made the decision to go with my own HiPo Version on the second 57...(black n white one)
    Needed a break from the 428 black 57... so I concentrated my time on the putting together a 352/Stick Interceptor package...Got a few goodies in this package already.... so I have spent the last few months piecing this package together.
    I picked up a Boss 302 Stick and needed to use a Truck Bell to work(Truck bell is deeper than a passenger car bell by 3/8((I think?))... the added length is needed on the SBF stick set up....)
    Of course this would not matter on a 64 and up FE .... the cranks are hogged out.. but on early FE(58-62-63) the crank ends are shallow.... any how... it all works.
    And yes..I used a 312 paint scheme instead of a black block thing.... ....just because I like it.
    Assembling the intake this weekend and the carb should be back in my hands mid week.

The Y-Blocks will be used for a future project.

352:stick.jpg

5. Jeff, it's been months since I checked your thread. I'm sympathetic about your work situation. The uncertainty of all of this is very wearing. I grew up with y-blocks, fe's and Ford 4 speed shifters. I never had any trouble with the shifters. They weren't as short of a throw as a Hurst but they always worked. One was in a 62 500xl that had 110,000 miles on it when I purchased it. I recall a center pin wearing that caused trouble???? I know there is a lot of nostalgia surrounding y-blocks. They are heavy and not very powerful. People are spending lots of money on them with limited results. The 352 you mentioned will be a neat engine. All of these had solid lifter cams so the noise is there if that is something you desire but a little more cam to give it a nice idle sure would be great. The alum intake you have there will remove about 50 lbs. I think. :) The fe's lack of oiling problems will be a plus. When we reflect on yesterday in a colored way, we sometimes forget why improvements were made. :) Your mention of the 5 speed showed that it was last on the list. Road burner and reliability come to mind. :) You've built many real fine rods. I have no doubt that both of these will be the same quality. :)

chryslerfan55, enloe, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  6. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

in 1957, Ford outsold Chevy for the first time since 1935

Tman, Stogy, Jeff Norwell and 2 others like this.
  7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yes,... these are trying times....

Push on, ..got the Toploader and intake on.... no issues..I was a little concerned about the intake... but it checked out perfectly square and no issues,.... Painted the pan with a hi temp paint.... these lower pans are getting hard to find due too they just rotted away under the intake.This intake is a 390-406 early factory unit 61-62 i believe.Date code suggests around Sept. or October of 1960.
    The carb has been rebuilt and I need to go pick it up.
    One hiccup though.... the Hedman Headers will not work with a late FE starter....The Yoke cover over the solenoid interferes.When I was 17, I would have just used a piece of flat stock and a ball peen.Yea,... not going to trash a brand new starter.I have the same unit on my 428,So.I i'll just keep it in stock or trade for something down the road.
    An older FE starter works fine... but that means i would need to get an early standard bell and then machine it to fit the top loader... plus the early starters are getting hard to rebuild(loss of parts)
    After a bit of research, I plan to go with a RobbMc mini starter..... more torque,smaller and I can clock the starter 360.
    anyhow.... pretty close to buttoning this little FE up and wrapping it in the corner till needed.
    IMG_5129.jpg IMG_4967.jpg IMG_4968.jpg IMG_4969.jpg CAA7B34D-9B31-4D70-B41A-61031A94A41B.jpg Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.41.38 AM.png

Blue One, alfin32, bchctybob and 9 others like this.
  8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Anyone with a Boat need an anchor?

ha ha

63382799370__7CA650AC-0479-4701-A764-81FE7BFB930C.jpg

mctim64, 53 effie, loudbang and 8 others like this.
  9. Jeff I'm with you on the high torque starter. I resisted them for some time. But I'm using one on my flathead now with no regrets.

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I agree... I truly want to keep this all FOMOCO.... but there are some things that cannot be avoided.... and after a long time......reliabilty(for me) is Key.

11. loudbang, Thor1 and Jeff Norwell like this.
  12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Ha hahahahaha......

Yes!

13. I've been preoccupied for a while and not kept up but,, am I just dreaming here or can't you drill and tap the through bolt holes and relocate the dowel pin and cure that issue. If the Batt cable terminal was at 6:00 would that cure the problem?

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

The issue is not with the power hook up..... But the drive yoke cover and the Drive Yoke itself on the starter.I have been told I can grind down the Solenoid contact point actuator to clear.. and then relieve the yoke cover itself.
    That...... just may cause other issues.... and I am not comfortable with that...... and there is a different Ford Starter(PN#3155 I believe) where the power hook up is at the front of the starter, used on Ford Tractors as well......

STARTER.JPG

15. I guess my thoughts were rotating the total Field Coil housing would rotate the Yoke housing down below the exhaust pipe?

loudbang, Jeff Norwell, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  16. RmK57

RmK57

I bought a reduction starter from DB electrical about 5-6 years ago like the one you posted for my 514 BBF. Best $53.00 I've ever spent.

17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Well. the little 352 is all buttoned up.... ready to go,.. still need the new starter,plugs and wires.. but all of that is not needed at this time.......
    Back on the 428 Black 57... making some great progress and fired it up over the weekend...more to come very soon.

The 352

IMG_5543.jpg IMG_5545.jpg

18. Great looking engine! Too bad about the starter. Hi-torque starter = scratching a chalk board. Sorry, just how I feel. :rolleyes:

Thor1, loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I know Tim,.... I know.... but, there is one thing I may try this week.. a friends parts house has this unit.....
    He is not sure about it, just the info he has written and stored about this starter.....
    I have never seen this style of starter... could it be an FT?,.... Tractor?... 153 tooth flywheel needed?
    and the real weird part,. its made by Firestone.
    I am gonna go over to his store and check it out.

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 3.10.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 3.11.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 3.11.15 PM.png

20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

(BTW).... It's been bench tested and works.......

21. v8flat44

v8flat44

Man, that is LOOK'N GOOD.......love the Y paint job too.

22. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first NEW CAR 1957 FORD FAIRLANE 500.jpg

23. What engages the drive?

loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Not sure.I need to get it in my hands and see it in person.

lothiandon1940, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  25. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I'm old so I get confused easily but the 352 is going into the Texas car?

Thor1, Jeff Norwell and loudbang like this.
  26. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I believe that starter is from a Ford tractor. Not sure on flywheel tooth count needed.

Thor1, Jeff Norwell and loudbang like this.
  27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Hahaha. yes Dan.. correct.. I just needed a distraction from constantly on the 428/Black car.

loudbang, Sky Six, enloe and 2 others like this.
  28. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

The more research I do,.... the more i believe your correct..... I think I will pass on this starter.

29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Very small Update.......
    -all wiring completed-
    -doors aligned very well and fitment done, inner latches work well and shut/open very nicely.
    -spare hood and small pieces back from the paint shop.... hopefully... car will be in the bodyshop within a 2-4 week period.
    -interior fabric and parts needed have been ordered.. waiting...
    -heading to exhaust shop in the next week.

Covid is still a big issue.. in another lockdown here... very frustrating.

thanks

1.JPG IMG_6112.JPG

30. Roothawg

Roothawg

Any progress is good.

Hamtown Al, Thor1, Sky Six and 2 others like this.