Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hey, Bud! Crossing Paths with a Classic

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Hey, Bud! Crossing Paths with a Classic

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Great car.
    Julian owned it up until his death.
    I wonder who owns it now

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

When I was starting out building cars I must have read the articles on the building of that roadster it seems like a 100 times. I keep the Summer 1971 Street Rod Quarterly in a prominent place in my office for reference because it has all the articles on building the roadster. Truly a milestone car that I still enjoy as much today as ever. I had the privilege of building Bud a highboy chassis for his present model A roadster pickup. Truly a nice man who moved hot rodding in the direction it is now.

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Cool car,it's not many I look at an enjoy that much. Every rod I look at ,more then a little ,I look for ideas I like and how the hole combo fits together,but also always think a little about those things I would of done another way.
    Very few times dose a rod have none or only one or two tiny things I'd do def.
    We're mostly all builders,at least in our head.
    This one is neat an clean to me,although I'd not use that type of front tire an from the photo rad shell look a tiny bit high,I love the over look. All of it is why seeing rods is fun + Thanks for the coverage on that one.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021

5. The roadster was nice back when it was built, but maybe nicer now that it appears to be unchanged, unlike many other old hot rods.

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

When I was building my chassis, I dug out all the articles on the building of that car.

7. whiteknuckle

whiteknuckle
    from Dryden, NY

Timely, I was just looking at the collection of the build articles the other day. 20210129_112009.jpg 20210129_112050.jpg

8. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Glad to see it's still around. To me this car has a perfect example of the overused/abused word "patina".
    It comes from being well used and loved over many years of care, not neglect.

9. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool car, I'm loving the road rash on the axle and front end. A true driver!

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it really does not get any better than that.

40ragtopdown, Stogy and Jack Rice like this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy

What is Brizio doing to it? Not a total resto I hope.

Stogy likes this.
  12. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Nonono. They were doing some general maintenance and installing a fresh set of Dirt Trackers.

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I watched that build with enthusiasm. Soon after the car was finished didn't it get rear ended and totaled? Bryant kept it and restored it like 30 years later; or am I thinking of another car? Love it no matter!.

Stogy and warbird1 like this.
  14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Truly a classic work of art, obviously built, driven, and maintained by a real hot rodder. Always liked the forward quarter view of a '29 more than that of the 30/31,but I had to go with the later version because 3 pedals and my size 14 shoes don't fit too well under that narrower cowl, LOL!
    This car also is reinforcement of my long standing assertation that those great big "commercial" headlights so popular on current builds aren't period correct.

15. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

179D4149-8E53-46D5-BFC0-E88ABA42FB81.jpeg Reading TJJ post above brings back lots of memories with that Special A-V8 Highboy. . This picture above is actually where enthusiasts were able to source parts for their builds. This being Antique Auto-Rosemead CA. I call the house that Gene Scott built. Gene had the very best Antique Ford Wrecking Yard. This is where The body came from for Buds A-V8.
    In meeting Gene Scott, Bud Bryan was filling his parts needs & requested an A Roadster Windshield Frame.
    Gene was having those made by a father/son team in Temple City-No. El Monte. Gene sent Bud on over to that team which is Caulfield Automotive. 6D5AAF0C-1089-462E-848A-C7FF02EEA6B5.jpeg In meeting Jim & Dale, it was decided that these were the guys to build that body from pieces and squirt it’s coat of Black (as seen above). The car got done, but many more Rod & Custom builds & features were to come. F1D64EC9-A6A7-446D-980A-B836D4475D1F.jpeg
    Some other very talented guys worked on it at some point after,@weedburner40 The Caulfield’s gave it its look. This car has a very storied past. It was involved a lunchtime rear ending and a premature demise from the Re-emerging Hot Rod scene. Needless to say that Both had sore backs but , Gray & Bud were fine but the back 1/2 of that roadster wouldn’t be the same till the late 70’s with a replacement back 1/2 by a new owner. Later that lucky roadster just happen to become available and Julian Alvarez became its caretaker. Jule’s cared for it the longest and maintained its historic past until his passing. 03D7ED91-37B0-40E0-BA13-800C69D3DA17.jpeg
    I’m fortunate to have witnessed this cars life as Jule’s was a fellow Outrider and his late brother Andy was also a good friend as well. 7D82B7A4-3B0A-43BD-8F65-8EC6A603CB05.jpeg This is it rolling out of that last LARS swap on P-Woods stretcher. I’m so very glad that it exists.
    (I’m amazed that I got this written as I was walking Lucky Dog in the rain which rarely happens it seems these days). ;)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  16. VF-1

VF-1

A great piece of hot rod history!

Stogy likes this.
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That one was always one of my favorite Magazine cars. I've got that annual or what's left if it out in the storage shed and will have to go look for it now.

Stogy likes this.
  18. muroc 29

muroc 29

You nailed it My dad always told me they never ran a hood because the shell is taller than the cowl. Still a great car and that was hearsay. But good observation

dana barlow likes this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20201210_085319.jpg

20. A real classic! I had all the R&C editions with that build in it and still have the '71 Yearbook. Just drug it out for reference as I'm getting serious about resurrecting my A roadster...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing @Jive-Bomber...a classic example of a Post 65 Hamb Friendly Hotrod...and that paint is mighty deep indeed...you are fortunate to be around these Hotrod Havens....where greatness is never far away...

22. neds29

neds29

I remember reading about that roadster. Love those classic '29' hot rods! I actually passed up on a Chevy powered full fendered '32 roadster back in '71 because it wasn't a '29! Proving that you can't fix stupid.
    Ned

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  23. I couldn't agree with you more. Patina is not extremely rusty sheet metal and cancer rot. Somehow that seems to be forgotten with some folks.

24. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Great post of one of my all time favorite hot rods. Dirty Old Man's comments brought up something that has always bugged me. Ir seems to me that 28-29's were/are used more or at least more published than 30-31's for hot rods. (I mean NO disrespect to anyone who ever used those later A years for a build and in full disclosure have had and have a 29') It is all about the cowl difference I think and the thing that I don't get is the earlier A cowl certainly is not as aero dynamic as the later ones. Even at Bonneville, there seems to be no shortage of 28-29's. They certainly are not as smooth as a 30-31, although I am no aeronautical engineer be any means. Even with that said, for some reason the early ones appeal to me and a whole lot of other people more than the larger interior, smoother later A bodies. Am I just confused or are there really more early A body hot rods, an inquiring mind wants to solve a question that has been on my mind for years.

48fordnut and The37Kid like this.
  25. jim snow

jim snow

Great story Joey. Thanks. Snowman

J.Ukrop likes this.
  26. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Good article. I remember seeing it Memphis when he drove it across country.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  27. That car and the R&C build was the one thing that got me inspired to build a highboy roadster.
    Unfortunately I let some street rod buddies sway me to a few detours like 31 body, SBC, and Volvo discs, but the basis was adhered to including the 201 V8 Halibrand. Thanks, Bud!

28. I thought Willie Desatoff painted it the first go round…

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

I remember that series in R&C, couldn't wait for the next months issue. Personal observation, and I'll take some flack I'm sure, why is it the only 28-29 Roadster with the top attached over the belt line in front? Something that has been a distraction or focal point for 50+ years. Bob

30. Jim

Jim

IMG_5657.JPG

Here’s a current picture of Bud from a couple months ago. Glad to say that he’s doing well and seen quite often cruising thru the neighborhood in his RPU.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.