Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cherry Bomb vs Thrush

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpazTaztic, Oct 23, 2009.

1. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I'm thinking of selling Porter mufflers. I have all their info:confused: , but don't know how well they will sell.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  2. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Thanks guys for the shout out on the Porters. We haven't had a dissappointed customer yet! (Knock on wood) Just sold a Stainless Steel set to England. Thanks Bri69! Here's our brochure with pricing.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  3. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Hey Bryan:

Let's talk. You need to get a set and try them out! Austin Speed Shop just put a set on one of their cars and they are so excited about it! They want to deal our mufflers too. They are Old Skool and they were THE Mufflers to have back in the day! Now they are back! Very well constructed, Handmade in the USA!

4. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Im running 2.5 duals with Cherry Bombs behinds a mild 302 on my 58 F100. The exhaust dumps right behind the meatball. The truck is LOUD almost 80dbs in the cab easy. (thats with carpeting/sound deadner) At some point Im going with Porters. After an hour of cruising at high way speeds its just too much

5. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

I run the 2 foot " red hots" 2.5" about 2 feet behind the headers then out the side. not all that loud by my standards...but the wife thinks otherwise. definatly notice them under a heavy throttle. Hey $100 and an hour in the garage for dual exhaust.

6. Stevie D

Stevie D

I had glasspacks on my wagon they were alright but then i decided to go back to porters.I had a set of short porters on my 63 nova with a six cylinder and i allways got pulled over by people asking what size v8 i had in there but when i told them it was a six they didn't beleave me.So i would have to pull over in a parking lot pop the hood open and show them it was a six.Now on the wagon i'm running a 327 with 2 in. pipe with short porters and i'm happy cause now my wagon has that classic rumble at a idle and a nice rap when i gas it.But the nice thing is that i can carry a converstion in the car with someone else as i'm going down the road.I couldn't do that with the glasspacks.The glassparks that i did have on there where about 28 in. long the porters i have are about 10 in. long
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHb-xgeVrWY

7. Dual Smithy's sound real good. I have them on my flathead and they sound real good. Just a nice mellow rumble

8. I know its a old thread but anyone out there have some old round thrush mufflers for sale? I'm looking for some 2.5 inches. Need a pair for a vintage build. Thanks.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang, I couldn't even tell you when the last time I saw a Thrush muffler was. When I worked evenings at Bowden's auto parts in Sunnyside, Wa from 1988 to 1991 we had a barrel with Cherry bombs in it out on the floor. Guys just reached in and found the ones they wanted and brought them to the counter but I am not sure we even had Thrush mufflers then or sure didn't sell many. I had a set of Thrush side pipes on my 48 back in the late 70's and finally took them off in 1981.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

No mention of these Sounds pretty good on a Y :D-Block

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Someone's been digging through the archives!!! My first new car was of course an OT, way out of the rules of the HAMB. But I hope I'm forgiven. I had graduated high school, and all through high school and for some time afterwards, I worked at a Standard Chevron Dealer Station. Drove a 56 Chevrolet, and saved every dime I could. This 17 years old "kid" bought a brand new, 1970, 340, Dart Swinger, and paid cash for it. One of the first modifications to it was a pair of 16 INCH long Cherry Bombs. First car down the drag strip in, first girl I fell in love with in that car, and the first car I got a ticket in, and it was because of the Cherry Bombs a Lynnwood, Washington police officer took me to task for. Remember the MOPAR square exhaust tips? Well, they also have a little hole in the bottom bulge of them to let condensation drip out of. To get the ticket voided, I stuffed the exhaust with Brillo pads, and put a fairly long screw in the hole, and drove to the cop shop for their "inspection" of my new exhaust. Lady cop at the desk asks if I have new mufflers on the car, and they were, only a few weeks old. Told her yes and she filed the ticket away, did't even come out to hear the exhaust (let alone smell those Brillo pads). It sure choked up the exhaust, and killed the power. When I got back to the Chevron Station, I took the screws out, started the car up, and blipped the throttle. It shot the Brillo pads out about 25 feet. Now, I've never seen Porter's, and they look interesting. I'll have to delve further into them as my DD truck needs a new exhaust.. Are they sold in any place special? Like I said, I've never seen them before, but have heard of them. I put a set of headers and some Thrush glass packs on my older sisters 68 Camaro; sounded good but did't last long; about the same time they started to get "loud", she totaled the car on her way to work one morning; she worked at the Monroe Reformatory/Prison in the Medical Unit, and hit some ice on Highway 2, one of the "death highways" in Washington State. Any stories of mufflers and the police guys?
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. VF-1

VF-1

“Cherry Bombs - Disturbing the Peace since 1968...”

SlamIam, JeffB2 and '56 150 like this.
  13. indyjps

indyjps

Gotta wonder with all the speed part company mergers, is there a difference now? Are the brands remembered from the past all owned by the same company now?

Check out Walker Exhaust,
    big place, lots of products, dynomax being one of them,
    They also make many different turbo mufflers and glasspacks and supply a large % of the exhaust shops. Choose your tube diameter and length.

Ive run their different versions of walker "turbo mufflers" on every thing Ive put exhaust on. Pipe diameter, muffler length and placement, etc can all be changed up to get the sound you want.

Gotta admit, Im not a glasspack fan, dont like the rasp back they are so popular for.

14. I’m pretty sure Brian isn’t looking for muffler suggestions, he’s looking for a specific muffler to meet his vision for the car.

Keep looking Brian, there are some out there somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

racer-x likes this.
  15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

You are a great Dad man.
    The expressions on his face are priceless.
    Your son will remember that for the rest of his life !

( yea make sure he remembers the right pedal is GO ! )

16. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here some Thrush Tips I have had since my single days, I think it was around 73 they were from a speed shop one of my biggest purchases back then. I used and cut them off several cars before I sold the cars now they hold a place in my youth museum archives. Hanging in the garage. Not for sale

Attached Files:

17. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

In 1978 when I first got my 406 car (avatar car) going with the 14:1 427, Edelbrock cross ram etc, the exhaust was very simple (still is). Got a 10' stick of 3" and a pair of truck resonators that have a straight through perforated core, and a pair of turndowns that exit right under the rearend. Real deep boomdeboom idle, and just howls when it comes on the cam. Was about a month before I got a ticket- saw the CHP and kicked it in neutral and coasted, but he heard me coming a couple blocks away lol. So I gathered up a dozen aluminum cans, which were the old style with a flange on both ends, got out the churchkey and put six holes in both ends of them all, dropped the pipes at the Hookers, and put six in each side. Lit it up, and it sounded like a bezerk Electrolux, bfffffttt... So I crawl it down to the CHP office, of course no hood with the 650DPs sticking out (eh) and beg forgiveness. Officer about 30 comes out, looks the car all over, trying not to grin, finally says OK, start it up. Bfffffttt, very unhappy engine- but quiet. Gives me the cut sign, shaking his head, but he signs off the ticket, then breaks out in a grin- says "Get that thing out of here before it frags itself!" Yessir, thank you sir! As I left, I saw the 67 390GT Mustang with Americans in the parking lot- explained the grinning. So I get it home, and didn't want to have to get the jack and crawl under, so tried flooring it- BFFFFTTT- Boom-Boom-BoomBoomBoom as the cans crumpled and went through the turndowns, ricocheted off the driveway and then the garage doors, then WHOOMPAAAH!

18. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Same summer, and an absolutely true story- but no phone cameras back then...

A few years ago I had the 406 car out, and at the time it had the 14:1 427 in it, .660 Delong cam, Milodon gear drive, cross-ram with two 650's, and the 3" exhaust with straight-thru truck resonators- it ain't real silent, and with a solid left engine mount, the whole car shakes at idle. So I'm stopped at a red light coming into town, and a Rabbit convertible pulls up behind me. After a few seconds, this incredible chick jumps out, perfect Farah Fawcett racehorse legs in very short side-slit shorts, short tank top, great tan, and comes up and starts waving her arms and yelling at me- "DO YOU REALLY THINK IT'S FAIR TO SUBJECT OTHER PEOPLE TO THE NOISE OF THIS CAR???" She was so mad she never noticed that "The Girls" had escaped from her skimpy top and were helping give me hell...
    Speechless, I was..

6-bangertim and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm intrigued with the coil spring internals. Do the springs serve the same function as the perforated tube and fiberglass or steel wool do in other glass/steel pack mufflers? Do they use steel wool as well? Very interesting! I think my local rod shop, Reids in Orange CA carries them.

20. I want the thrush round mufflers. They were blue with a white strip and had a pink woodpecker on them. Thats what was on my car when I was 18. I still remember] putting them on. They bolted right to the headers without any extension. It was very loud and cool at the time. I would like to find another set and most likely mount them farther back with tail pipes. All that noise isn't fun anymore. I have had the car since 1984 so its more about returning it back to what it was.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    chryslerfan55, Chavezk21 and '56 150 like this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Brian
    I'm shocked, I would have expected no less than these from you..............

upload_2021-1-29_10-49-16.png

upload_2021-1-29_10-48-49.png

chryslerfan55 and racer-x like this.
  22. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Yep. Smithy's or Porter's, if you want to go old-school.

6-bangertim likes this.
  23. DDDENNY i know what those are. The 66 was my first car so I tolerate it being parked next to the hemi. It was a time before I wised up and learned about the almighty 426. Now I'm on a mission to make it the car I couldn't afford as a kid.

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Long live "The American Dream"!!!

25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve had one set of glass packs in 60 years of driving and that was enough; never again. I’ve had a lot of dual exhaust cars and found resonator removal enough. In our OT F-150 I’ve install a 70 series Flowmaster with a dirt track auger in front of the muffler and small ones in front of the dual tips out the back and it’s perfect. My avatar has the stock 3 tunnel and it is right for a cruiser today. The are way to many “sound-a-like” big blocks out there today and you don’t even need to look to see what’s coming.... you already know.

26. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Runnin dual Red Thrush "glass packs".
    318 with stock manifolds, not very loud at all . Most likely not much velocity outta smogger LA 318 to make it unbearable...

27. topher5150

topher5150

This is a sure-fire way to get your neighbors to hate you. Nothing in the video or comments about what size cherry bombs that he's using.

28. toml24

toml24

I do not profess to be an expert on mufflers. Having said that, Thrush did a considerable amount of advertising for these mufflers. To me, they would look cool on the side of any vintage car.
    1971-THRUSH Outsider exhausr pipes-1.jpg

29. Brian here's a picture for you.
    20210129_160314.jpg
    These are on ebay right now but they're only 2.25 inlet outlet.

chryslerfan55, racer-x and Elcohaulic like this.
  30. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Had a chopped '54 Chevy, called La Bomba, that had a pair of old hollow Cherry Bombs that all of the packing/silencing material had blown out long ago - slightly loud

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021