Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8BA w/ Early Intake - Generator & Fan Mount Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Low-Blow, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

I've been searching for a couple of hours to find the exact answer that I am looking for. So far, I have not had any luck. If it is here, I missed it.

I am in the process of finishing up the build on my 8BA for the 29AV8 project. As per the pictures below, I am running an early style, reproduction Edelbrock Slingshot. I am also running the 8RT truck water pumps with the wide pulleys. I do not want to offset the generator. I am trying to find out what kind of generator and fan mount that I need to use. I have the 8BA generator mount, as well as the 21A fan assembly that bolts to the 8BA generator mount. But, the generator mount will not work with this intake. Is there a simple solution? Am I over thinking this? Also, I am a visual learner. So, if anyone has pics, that would definitely help. Mock Up 1.jpg Mock Up 2.jpg

2. v8flat44

v8flat44

Awesome engine. I "think" you can run a one wire alternator and any fan mount if there is room for the fan, without needing to off set. Post this on the Ford Barn too, lots of flathead info there. I had an alt. on my 8BA & would never go back to the gen.

3. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

Thanks. My AV8 is going to be as close to a mid 50's era build as I can get. Thus, I am going to use the generator.

4. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

Ok, here is where I am. Evidently, there are two types of generator brackets that will work with an 8BA/8RT (Picture 1). The one that I have been working with doesn't even remotely fit my intake manifold. I found another bracket this afternoon in some parts that I had forgot about. It will partially fit on the new manifold. The receipt for the manifold that I have shows it to be a 38-48 Ford/Mercury Slingshot Manifold (Picture 2). I have a 59A engine that I tried the bracket on, and it worked (Pictures 3, 4, & 5). But, it does not go down all the way on my new manifold (Pictures 6, 7, 8, & 9). So, my plan is to trim the bracket to where it fits down all the way on to the manifold mount. Does anyone see a problem with doing this? There will still be plenty of meat left on the bracket to support the generator. Manifold 10.jpg Manifold Receipt.jpg Manifold 1.jpg Manifold 2.jpg Manifold 3.jpg Manifold 5.jpg Manifold 6.jpg Manifold 4.jpg Manifold 7.jpg

5. joakimnj

joakimnj
    from Norway

Yes, just trim away the aft support on your 8ba generator mount.
    Then the mount will fit the early slingshot intake.

You can use the early generator with fan pulley. Just cut the mount off and drill a hole for the locating pin in the correct position.

Or jou can use the 8ba generator. Just drill a new hole for the pin in the correct position.

I made a quick cut and took some pictures to show you. The generator mount needs a bit more trimming to look nice! View attachment 5138240 IMG_20210808_200345.jpeg IMG_20210808_200353.jpeg IMG_20210808_201334.jpeg IMG_20210808_201348.jpeg IMG_20210808_201801.jpeg IMG_20210808_201816.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Unrelated but....

How are you going to vent this engine? That looks like a 8RT Oil Pan. The early pans had a vent along with the fuel pump stand oil fill vent. 8BAs/8RTs had the front road draft tube and front Oil fill vent. Both work differently.

7. joakimnj

joakimnj
    from Norway

I'm not sure if you refer the the thread starter or me?

Anyway, there is no oil pan on my engine at the moment.
    My engine will be ventilated with a pcv valve in the draft tube in the fwd valve gallery. The pcv will be connected with hoses to the underside of the intake.
    So fresh air will enter the oil filler cap, go through the valve gallery, then through the crankcase and up into the underside of the intake.

My engine is just a mock up, so I don't have anything there yet, but I found a picture to show you. 20190921_135446.jpeg

8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The thread starter, Low Blow.