Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy 216 oiling system help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hbomb60, Jul 29, 2006.

1. hbomb60

hbomb60
    from Minnesota

Im trying to put fenton headers on my 216 chevy 6 cyl. The problem is that the oil filter is attached to the block, with no oil lines to and from the filter housing The passages are in the attachement to the block. How do you relocate this filtering system to work with the fentons? Any experiences with these.
    thanks

2. GamblinAJ

GamblinAJ
    from Corona Ca

Well I have no experiance with the oil filter and my Fentons, but did have have one with my throtle linkage. The Fentons seem to be made mainly for a dual carb set up and on my 216 I have a single carb(don't think the 216 could handel 2 carbs) So before you start trying to relocate everything check the throtle linkage. I decided to just split my manifold rather then rig a seconed bell crank and re route everything for that crapy 216. I will wait to use the fentons till I get me a 235 with dual carbs. So save yourself the missery and eyeball it first. Good luck.

3. squirrel

squirrel

I'd like to see a picture of an oil filter mounted to a 216 without any oil lines.

4. Same here. All of them I've ever seen have been mounted to the intake or firewall. Or they don't have one at all.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

This filter setup takes the place of the oil distributor found under the little kidney shaped 3 screw plate. If I remember correctly, it uses a roll of toilet paper for an element. It's a bypass system like the AC & Fram add-on units. I'd remove it and replace the original innards, then plumb in a spin-on adaptor mounted out of the way.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I kind of figured that's what it might be...thanks for the explanation.

7. hbomb60

hbomb60
    from Minnesota

I can get pics tomorrow when I go back to the shop. It has an integreated inlet and return in the housing of the filter. Thats what bolts to the lower side of the block. There is a inlet, outlet, and a spring loaded valve under where the filter housing mounts to the engine. No lines. There is a brass oil line that runs from the mount on the block for the oil filter to the same side of the block, but higher up the engine. Maybe into another oil passage?

8. hbomb60

hbomb60
    from Minnesota

Can I just block off that 3 screw portion and put a twist on adapter in the brass oil line comming out of it?

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

There's a valve underneath the cover that must be replaced for correct oil distribution. It has to be there in order for oil to get where it has to go. I'd use the whole ass'y out of a parts engine, then use the hose fittings in the block same as an AC or Fram setup.

10. hbomb60

hbomb60
    from Minnesota

Will this setup be the same on a 235? Or is this specific to the 216?

11. squirrel

squirrel

it was only used on the splash engines, so look for one from a 216. The later engines did not have the oiling cover on the side of the block.

12. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

interesting.... I never knew of a block mounted filter of any type on the 216 splash oiled motor.

I've run a couple of 235 motors that I modified for full pressure oil filter

13. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The filter that bolts directly to the block is an aluminum aftermarket piece that was sold by Inner Line. I've seen a few of them at swap meets.