Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Doing some maintenance on the old beater & the Ranch Wagon.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 27, 2021.

1. I had a few things that needed attention on the wagon and my old sedan and I have wrapped up most of the things on the Deuce I started picking up my tools and realized I had more tools on the work bench & in the floor than were in all 3 of my roll around tool chest.

I came to the realization when I couldn't find any 1/2" sockets and I'm sure I have a dozen of them. :rolleyes:

I use to keep my garage neat & clean, man I have gotten lazy during the last year, how about you guys? HRP

2. earlymopar

earlymopar

With more time (for a while at least), I've done just the opposite and organized things that I had put off for years.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. lake_harley

lake_harley

"I must be done, the tool box is about empty". :D

I spend most of my time looking for the ______ (pick one - screwdriver, socket, wrench, etc.) that I just had in my hand 5 minutes ago.

Lynn

4. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

When we were doing the engine swap in my Country Squire mu friend Dave was under the car and kept asking for 1/2” wrenches and sockets, eventually I ran out. He had 4 1/2” wrenches and 8 1/2” sockets under there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Budget36 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

@76yo I learned to keep tools & garage organized early in life. In my early years I spent a lot of time in my neighbor's garage (Eddleman's garage, Kannapolis NC) who was a very organized person. He was also the first mechanic I knew to wear gloves while building an engine. Burlin Eddleman was his name, everybody called him Doc. The best flathead mechanic in his day. Great memories there........

6. 41fordor

41fordor

In the Air Force we had tool kits that you signed out at the beginning of each shift. Every tool was in a foam cutout liner, right down to allen wrenches and Torx bits; and every item better be in it when you turned it in at the end of the shift. You didn't want to be that guy haha!

deathrowdave and loudbang like this.
  7. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I used to clean up the garage only when i ran out of tools. Then a few years ago I started to clean up daily. Now with more time on my hands and ocd kicking in I seem putting away tools quicker, if I need a hammer or breaker bar to take it apart and not to put it back together I put them away right away

8. Budget36

Budget36

Ha!!! I have 3 places I can do work in. I have 4 different sized roll boxes, I have so many multiples of tools.

I also have 4 darn near empty boxes;)

hotrodjack33 and ekimneirbo like this.
  9. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like socks my 1/2 and 9/16 disappear. I pick up stuff and magically it winds up all over the place. Ever go put stuff away and realize you bought two tap and die sets? I have two wagon jacks and I'll be damned if I know why.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  10. Thanks brother, now I don't feel like like I'm the only one.:D HRP

hotrodjack33 and Budget36 like this.
  11. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

When I walk into my local parts store they always ask what I lost today.

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Right now, I’m just the opposite, I have more tools than storage space. Drawers piled full, have to hunt to find anything. Got to buy a new lower box and do some sorting, but damn! New boxes are outrageous! I’m limited in size, I want to put my two 26” boxes on a new bottom, but most are too short or way too long for the space I have. Height limited, too, it all has to fit under my wall cabinet that is also full. Been looking for a used box, but I’m not gonna pay what a good used car would cost for a freaking toolbox!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

I always put away my tools when i'm done for the day. But I do a crappy job of cleaning off my workbenches. They are piled with crap.

HOTRODPRIMER, pprather and Algoma56 like this.
  14. 2935ford

2935ford

I and my mechanic friend are the only ones in my garage using my tools and I can leave my tools anywhere.
    Saying that, I sometimes am not able to find tools we have used for any given job until days/weeks later!
    How can that be! :(

HOTRODPRIMER and Budget36 like this.
  15. It happens when doing any work.:confused: As soon as I have free time I do a cleanup.:) I know when I'm done , because I can see the top of my workbench again.:rolleyes:

HOTRODPRIMER and loudbang like this.
  16. BJR

BJR

Right now I am getting 3 sets of everything. One set for work, one set for home at St Paul MN, and one set for my shop at my farm in Wisconsin.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I go in spurts. Work like hell on something until everything is a mess and I get a fair amount accomplished and then stop and go what the hell happened out here! Rhetorical question of course as I know what happened. Then I spend a day putting tools back, throwing shit out, and generally cleaning up the mess I made.

18. So I could not find my breaker bar, can't remember when I last used it. Ran down to HF store and bought another just like it. Got home glanced down at my old tool bag and hmmm my old breaker bar lying right there. So I returned the new one told the clerk what happened, he laughed says it happens all the time.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope. Chaos...total chaos. I saw the top of my work bench...once. Organization by gravity...if I need something, it's probably on the floor...where gravity put it.
    Everything EXCEPT 9/16 wrenches! Somewhere in the universe are probably 25 of them that defied gravity and just vanished:eek:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got so much stuff in my little one car garage there is no way to get a car even part way in there. When I was working in shops I had my tool box organized to the point that I didn't even have to look very close to grab the right tool but now I have to stop and figure out where I used the tool last and go hunt. I could probably fill a tool box with the wrenches and sockets that are probably under and behind the box though.
    A while back I found out that the local pawn shop has a bucket under a counter that has a bunch of orphan wrenches in it that they will sell cheap. If I can't find a wrench I'll go down there and dig though the bucket and find one for pocket change rather than go buy a new one.

HOTRODPRIMER and GordonC like this.
  21. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

My big problem is finding my garage floor. About every six months I have to try and locate it under all the stuff that gets brought in without finding it a permanent home. All that stuff that's too good to through away and might come in handy some day.

Lee

22. Budget36

Budget36

Make a path, a man isn’t anything if he doesn’t have a path;)

HOTRODPRIMER and Grandadeo like this.
  23. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My tools are cleaned and returned to my tool chest daily , I guess it came from working in a dealership , you leave it out overnight , the cleanup crew owned it the next day . My tools were an expensive investment , kinda like the wife's jewelry , don’t loose it or screw it up and you’ll have a happy life .

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. Oilguy

Oilguy

First thing I do when entering the shop in the morning is make sure all tools are put away, work bench tops are clean ( except maybe today's project) and no tools, electric cords or air lines laying on the floor. Things get messy during a project but then there is clean up time. Also open the drain port briefly on the compressor tank. But I have 2400 sq. ft. working area so it is easier to keep clean; lot of wall space for tool storage. I too suffer from OCD. But I don't have to spend time looking for stuff. Referring to a post from a few days back, I try to keep my shop as clean as my kitchen.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I put everything back when I am done for the evening. When I need something I want it where it is supposed to be. Being lazy and leaving stuff out just means you spend your time looking for it instead of using it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Cleaned out lots of wrench multiples. Loaded them in a tool box and gave them to a non profit that is trying to teach young people to work on cars. The box was so heavy that it was a strain to get in the truck. The man who runs this nonprofit was delighted.

HOTRODPRIMER, GordonC and charleyw like this.
  27. My workbench is a mess, but my tools are all put away at the end of the day.
    I grew up at a one stall service station that was two doors from my home. I was there at least ninety percent of the days from age 8 to 18.
    One of the things I learned from Paul, the owner/mechanic was to wipe down each tool and put it away as each job was completed. This lesson has served me well for over 60 years.

partssaloon and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doesn't matter how small or simple the job is it always seemed like it turns to crap and I end up having to use damn near every tool in the box to finish the job.

bill gruendeman and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I got teased about how neat my tool box is. "Does your Mom come and put your tools away?" As I said earlier, I just don't want to waste time digging through a pile of wrenches in a drawer. Mine are all lined up by size.

partssaloon and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. goldmountain

goldmountain

When you go to the store and buy a set of wrenches, the set goes from small to large. What they need to do is sell sets of wrenches that are all 1/2" or all 9/16" or the metric equivalent that gets lost.