Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally My '26 Chevy Roadster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Six Ball, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I'm using the free one. It will do more than I'll ever figure out. My son uses it and he is helping me. The problem is much of it is online and Hughesnet seriously limits bandwidth, no matter what they say in the commercials. I'm watching a lot of "how to" videos. Yesterday I was able to create a rectangle! :D
    Do you use it?

loudbang and Tim like this.
  2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Fusion is a huge pain to learn but it has a lot of power for web-based freeware. I have a background in traditional Autocad and Pro-Engineer and found Fusion's interface to be a difficult adjustment.

BUT I've been able to make things with it and port them to .stl to be made on my 3D printer.

loudbang, Six Ball and TFoch like this.
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Several years ago I started a megaSquirt project for my '68 flatbed. The assembly went well but learning the software was beyond me. The MS is completed in a box somewhere and the truck is still carbureted
    At least I have my son near to help this time and I think I can shame him into it. :rolleyes:

loudbang and patmanta like this.
  4. Twisted6

Twisted6

Yeah I DL the free ( hobby/personal home) I also have the FreeCad which I have not had much time to play with ,So Like I really need another one LOL. And Not like I will get my Mill CNCed anytime soon. Plus I kinda Like it manual
    I have used it that way for so long , alot of my stuff almost Pretty much match's A CNC piece. For what I have had here and Laid the parts side by side Or right over it depending what it was or is.

loudbang and Six Ball like this.
  5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The way some people use a CNC reminds me of an old cartoon I saw where they cut down trees, hauled them to a mill, and turned each tree into one toothpick. What I'm trying is really pretty simple once I learn some basics. I see what my son does and he has just learned it in the last few months. My parts are mostly flat and the same thickness from end to end. I can make everyone of them with simple tools. The good thing about Fusion is that it can check the measurements & angles to see that everything fits before I start cutting. It is a bonus that there will now be a file for these pieces that evidently does not exist anywhere else.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Twisted6

Twisted6

Yeah right . (on the tooth picks) As much other stuff that I am starting get into it just seems like a fairly good Idea to
    play with the software some. As I am also looking at some of the Cnc Routers as many of them have a fairly good size table and with the right Router head they can do alum. Which can be nice for some of the parts I already make.

Six Ball and loudbang like this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The last of the headlight parts got here today. Lets see if I can get them together and boxed until needed. Today I was moving snow with the tractor. We almost didn't make it home yesterday. I had to walk the last 1/4 mile to get the tractor and rescue my wife. Cleared enough snow to barely make it then walk back and get the tractor. The pickup seriously over heated, not sure yet why? So today I cleared that stretch of the road just 1 & 3/4 miles to go.

Stogy, Tim and J.Ukrop like this.
  8. Twisted6

Twisted6

I'm glad I am not in that stuff anymore. But i do kinda miss once a yr for one day.

9. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Sixball, sounds like you are going to have some files to go to the CNC in a few months! I'll still do what ever I can to help out. I have been making saw dust, but going to have to get a frame up to the shop fairly soon for checking parts to see how they fit. I'm finding that there are quite a few pieces of wood that cannot be finished to size (at least on one surface) without bolting to the frame and building up and out. (temporarily) (since I do not have very many reference dims. to go by). When you get your file finished, you should be able to pull all kinds of reference points. I pulled the quarter panels out and started filling nail holes (17 on the drivers belt rail alone) and doing some dolly work. One had been walked on by a cow!! Starting to look a lot better. I have broken flanges in verious areas that I'll have pull together (or apart) and tack to get the correct curves to fit the sills to. GOOD LUCK on your cad learning!

10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I totally agree about building from a frame. Right , left. and rear sills and a good measurement between the front of the R&L sills would yield measurements for trunk floor and passenger area floor. Then go up from there. I will have to build some and draw some to get it all to the point where CNC files would work. Actually the whole Fusion project is an extra step and is basically a documentation file that I'll probably never use again. With what you have and what I have I just think it would be "nice" of us to leave this for others. Think how cool it would have been 20 years ago to have complete blueprints to work from. We might have cars on the road! No matter what, I think some pieces will need to be hand fitted.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

A tiny bit of progress. Just enough to let you know we are still alive. I mounted the other 3 tires for the mock up today. Part of the shop reorganization. 4 mounted tires take up less space than 4 wheels, 4 tires, and 4 tubes.

100_0340.JPG

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome it’s something!

Six Ball, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...And make good Rollers in 2021...;)

14. Great to see! Keep plugging away!

Six Ball, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  15. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Good to you are still at it!

16. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Sixball Looks great! And so true less space required! What size rims?

Stogy, Six Ball and loudbang like this.
  17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The wheels are 19" Chevy. Front tires are old Goodyear 4:00 x 19 Eagle DT (Dirt Track). The rears are new 4:75 - 5:00 x 19 Universal. These may or may not be what I use, one set for sure will be on the front. The rears could end up 7:00 0r 7:50 X 16" or 15" sort of like the SG roadster. I like both looks.
    100_1935.JPG SCAN0096.jpg R and R.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  18. Twisted6

Twisted6

Glad to see you are still plugging away at it.

Stogy, loudbang and Six Ball like this.
  19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Today I built a temporary tank and set a bunch of rusty, partly rusty, and re-rusted parts in a citric acid bath. This time when it is rust free I'll get something , maybe paint on it. The lightly re-rusted parts were cleaning right up.

100_0350.JPG 100_0351.JPG

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Love it!

Six Ball, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  21. Careful dipping springs or iron in citric acid.

22. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Looking Good Sixball! You're making me feel like I'm slaking since I haven't done anything after taking pic's. of my junk......Thanks, I needed that!
    Jimmy B what does the acid do? (embrittlement?) I was planning to dip some cast iron timing gears.

23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Some acids do weird things to cast iron. I soaked a set of flatty adjustable lifters in vinegar overnight and they turned into chalk you could cut with your fingernail.

24. The acid seems to leach out minerals in the iron which turns chalky, spring steel seems to dissolve. My friend Lynn told me dipped something made of spring steel and it came out half the original thickness and had divots everywhere.

25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

We'll see. There are cast pieces on the frame. I've heard of this before and I've heard that there is no problem. My biggest worry right now is the effect of the seeping leaks on my concrete slab. The springs were questionable to start with.

26. The spring mounts on the frame are forged.

Stogy, Six Ball and loudbang like this.
  27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Well that is good to know. I'll be pulling some of it out today if I don't have to go help my son. It looks like some pieces will get wire brushed and put back in.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  28. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Sixball Have you gotten all wet yet? How did things come out?

29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The makeshift tank has developed a few weepy leaks so it's all coming out today. I had planned to throw in some other stuff as long as the mix was working. I'll save some of it in other containers. So far the pieces I've scrubbed a little have turned out very clean and rust free. I'll get some pictures today. I wish I had a better selection of brushes.

30. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

WOW! Glad to see someone doing this large scale!

I'm still thinking about getting a larger INTEX frame style kiddie pool for this kind of thing. I figure a rubber floor mat type material should be good to protect the liner.

Stogy, Six Ball and chryslerfan55 like this.