Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Performer vs Winters for a traditional 327

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by raoul duke, Jan 27, 2021.

1. raoul duke

raoul duke
    from S.E. Mass

Building a traditional hot rod type 327 for my ‘57 210 and I have the opportunity to acquire a’69 dated service replacement Winters intake for the same cost as a new Performer EPS. I’m leaning toward the Winters, but wanted some opinions.

Just looking for enough performance to zip around town with while maintaining the’60s hot rod meets ‘70s sportsman dirt track vibe of the car.

Thanks in advance!

chevy57dude, 1Nimrod and loudbang like this.
  2. The Mullet

The Mullet

The aluminum Corvette intake right? You might get a little better airflow / performance out of the Edelbrock but the Winters scores some cool points.

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ottoman, verno30, Just Gary and 9 others like this.
  3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I'd go with the Winters, it will work absolutely fine and as Mullet said "cool"

Pat

ottoman, Deuces, WC145 and 4 others like this.
  4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Anyone can have a performer.

ottoman, big duece, Deuces and 8 others like this.

5. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Winters, think of the resale value is if you ever upgrade. ;)

Used performers can be had for $50.00

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    ottoman, Deuces, 1Nimrod and 4 others like this.
  6. Winters worked very well on my dirt modified . IMG_1799.JPG

ottoman, Blues4U, WC145 and 9 others like this.
  7. raoul duke

raoul duke
    from S.E. Mass

Thanks all.
    That’s a beauty Hank!

8. squirrel

squirrel

Spend more time here, you'll learn that this was a really dump question :) but that's ok...you're new.

If you want a car to look traditional, use as many old parts as you possibly can. If you can't find or can't afford one of them, then do your best to find something that looks like they used to look.

And if you can find something old for the same price as a new one, go for the old one, every time. Also, do some research on prices back then vs. now, compared to the general rate of inflation over the years. Spending $200 on an old intake is still a better buy than it was when the intake was new!

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If a person wanted a used sbc intake, he could nearly stand on his front porch and yell, "I need a (fill in the brand) aluminum intake manifold" for fifty bucks and just like that they will drop out of the sky.
    I never was one to make decisions based on up front cost or back end return but any of the Winters intakes are money in the bank. Between 1964 and 1970 there were (at least) four different Winters intakes cast for the small block Chevy, you could literally close your eyes and pick one and it would work great on a street engine.
    In the early eighties I started collecting parts to build a 327/350 hp engine for my 67 Nova. With nearly all new GM parts and about the only thing that wasn't new was the bare block.
    The intake manifold is an NOS Winters cast for the 66/67 L/79 engine, the design has been copied by aftermarket intake mfg's ever since.

Fresh air tube 002 (1).jpg

10. That one looks like an Edelbrock C3B. For a single 4bbl Winters, C3B (X or C4B) or a Weiand (Say Why-And).

1Nimrod and 48fordnut like this.
  11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Only serious consideration would involve which distributor you plan on using; a stock type HEI most likely won't clear the furthest back intake runner on the Winters, while it will on the Performer. I'd go with the Winters and a points distributor; some might add a Pertronix conversion to an older points distributor. ^^^See DDDenny's 327 for how it should "look"^^^. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Deuces, 1Nimrod, arkiehotrods and 2 others like this.
  12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'm kind of ignorant, I looked up Winters intakes on E-Bay and see that they command a premium price. Please school me as to what makes them so dam expensive other than the nostalgic value. Thanks

Roothawg, Deuces, 1Nimrod and 3 others like this.
  13. raoul duke

raoul duke
    from S.E. Mass

Guys - I very much appreciate all the perspective. Especially the direct “tough love” approach;) I spend a lot of my free time searching and reading here and it is an education in itself, and intend to continue.

Grew up in the 70s and 80s surrounded by family that owned garages and raced dirt track oval. Been in a traveling-type business for the past 26 years without the time or stability to re-learn what “hot rod” really means, so please don’t hesitate to call me out for what might seem obvious to those who’ve never left the flock.

Thanks again!

Roothawg, Just Gary, 1Nimrod and 6 others like this.
  14. Corvette restorers are driving up the prices of anything "stock" to get more show points.....

1Nimrod and 31hotrodguy like this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That phenom was spawned by the Wall Street type musclecar restoration whores that turned the hobby into a business starting in the 90's.
    I got real lucky when I bought my NOS intake in the late 80's, got it from a GM parts guy that had been saving it for a project that went a different direction. Got it for $200 and I'm sure he made a little money on it.
    The last time I checked NOS Winters intakes were going for crazy $$$, they are on that auction site pretty regularly in used or restored condition in the $300-$800 range.
    Something that people don't know about these is the cast date that is stamped under the tin oil splash shield which requires removal of factory spiral studs to access and it is the dates that restoration people look for that establishes price as much as condition.

1Nimrod, Deuces, Taboo56Chevy and 2 others like this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

Winters was a casting foundry...they made a lot of intakes and heads for Chevy, but also for other companies.

If it's and old Chevy part with a snowflake on it, it just looks right on a car that would have been built in the 60s.

As for ignition...the stock Chevy point distributor still works, as does an old Mallory dual point, or something more exotic from the era. Modern electronic stuff is not needed and doesn't look right.

17. raoul duke

raoul duke
    from S.E. Mass

Came with 2 shields and a handful of rivets. Date on the bottom is 8/4/1969. It’s 4 months younger than me...
    Squirrel, I agree with you - it will look right.

Deuces, 1Nimrod and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  18. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Cool manifold, and any Winter's casting will continue to increase in value. All of the Chevy guys will
    be making you offers to trade it or buy it....don't...haha...nice score. Bob

Deuces, WC145 and 1Nimrod like this.
  19. Deuces

Deuces

'67-'72 Z/28 and LT-1 intake manifolds.... Winters also cast some intakes for Holley in the mid to late '70s....

lothiandon1940 and 1Nimrod like this.
  20. raoul duke

raoul duke
    from S.E. Mass

Here’s the picture:
    09FF86A6-5D5F-4909-8E9F-686E2D696A56.jpeg 09FF86A6-5D5F-4909-8E9F-686E2D696A56.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2023
    sidewayzz69, Chavezk21, WC145 and 8 others like this.
  21. southcross2631

southcross2631

Chevy made a cast iron version for marine use and all of the dirt track guys who ran up front ran the bowtie intake . The rules called for a cast iron intake and that's what they got with an 1850 Holley mounted on the intake backwards and a van throttle cable. Clears an HEI dist.
    those intake were about 160 bucks from the local Chevy dealer.

22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

If I ever find a Winters for the price of a new Performer, I'll be all over it.

1Nimrod and Deuces like this.
  23. sdroadster

sdroadster

It was already said, but I'll say it again. And HEI distributor will not fit with a Winters manifold because of a rear intake runner.. You will have to use a points type distributor, and convert it to Pertronics or some such.

24. raoul duke

raoul duke
    from S.E. Mass

I happen to have an old 1850 to rebuild that came with the parts I got with the 210. I guess that should be carb for this intake then?

Are those hard to rebuild? I got the rebuild kit in the parts box as well.
    I’ll try the search...

1Nimrod and Deuces like this.
  25. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I just got rid of a Holley Street Dominator single plane intake with a Winter's snow flake on it. Poorest quality casting I've seen in an intake. Lots of porosity.

Gary

26. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The sanding discs to remove Edelbrock and glass bead a later intake if , your kids need to eat will work fine also . The C3B is period perfect also. But I must agree if $$$ is not an issue the Winters is the best looking way to go , for me

jimmy six, 1Nimrod and Deuces like this.
  27. Deuces

Deuces

Very easy carb to rebuild... I did one with the center pivot fuel bowls and a secondary metering block without the idle mixture screws... The carb ran like a champ on a "stock" HO Ford 5.0L 302.... I still have it...

1Nimrod and joel like this.
  28. Deuces

Deuces

They also cast the ZL-1 427 that some Camaros and a couple of Vettes got.... ;)

1Nimrod and Budget36 like this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

Had a chance for one as a kid in the late 70’s. My buddy talked me out of the “used GM” intake for I think 30 or 40 bucks. He worked at Bell and Gaines in Modesto, and made me a deal on a new Torker. Hated that intake. Lol. Only thing I like about it was the “twist” the way the carb mounted. By the time the intake started to get working, I was hitting the next gear. Wound up with the Performer 2.0? On it.
    Thanks for reminding me to give myself another kick in the ass ;)

Edit: I might be mistaken, it may have been from an L88 as I’m trying to remember it. Oh well. The kick felt good.

Atwater Mike and Deuces like this.
  30. squirrel

squirrel

No need to converter it, it will work with points in it....