Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Roothawg's 390 Cadillac build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Good info guys. Thanks

2. any casting numbers on those carbs?
    I have a nice 4 jet that I will never use if interested

loudbang likes this.
  3. Roothawg

Roothawg

I haven't actually taken posession yet. I have to run up there sometime this week and pick it up.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Roothawg

Roothawg

loudbang likes this.
  5. Patrick D Sims

Patrick D Sims

Just ran across this post and I too am attempting to rebuild a 390. I have a question regarding the timing chain and the camshaft sproket. First, I noticed that the slack on the chain seems to be a little excessive and secondly, like you mentioned, there are only 2 bolts that hold the cam sproket to the camshaft with no plate to hold the camshaft in place. cannot remember when i disassembled the engine if this is the way is was. I can pull the entire sproket-camshaft back and forth with the timing chain attached just doesn't seem right. Any help is appreciated.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  6. Patrick D Sims

Patrick D Sims

Also, all parts are new and the block, crank, and all of the other parts have been machined.

loudbang likes this.
  7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the mains were align bored/honed, the CL of the crank may have moved upwards, leading to a looser chain (you did replace it, right?) reduced center chain sets are available, but I don't know if they are for the Cad.

loudbang and Patrick D Sims like this.
  8. Patrick D Sims

Patrick D Sims

Yes the mains were align bored and the timing set/chain is new. This is probably the problem. just not sure if the slack i have is acceptable. worried about moving forward.
    thanks for your reply.

loudbang likes this.
  9. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just for giggles, I looked up Caddy parts on https://egge.com/part/sag-1705-c-505/ and their sets are interchangeable with SBC, so theoretically you could get a reduced center timing set. YMMV

loudbang likes this.
  10. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.
  11. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think rather than use the adjustable arms, I would just get custom push rod lengths made.

12. Hey, Im at the same spot as you, also found excessive play in the timing chain. Did you solve the problem with a different chain?

We also looked for SBC chains, but they are thin on the ground here in Australia.

Thanks

Monty

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Mike, I don't believe the grind has anything to do with the valve covers. I am no Caddy expert though.

14. Not every engine has a thrust plate for the cam, the lobes are actually ground on a very slight angle so the lifters spinning “push” it into the block so it can’t walk forward.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Sorry Roothawg, I’m momentarily high jacking your thread! I’ve been trying to patiently to get this 365 apart for months. I’ve soaked cylinders in trans fluid, brake fluid, kerosene, PB blaster and a combination of all them. Have tried heat and much pounding with a big sledge and no luck! Got pissed, drilled lots of holes in pistons and beat them apart with a chisel. Probably messed up at least one connecting rod so far. Oops. Anyways 3 down and 5 to go from the 365 Cadillac from hell! Was excited and wanted to share in the H.A.M.B.!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Officially done high jacking the thread! Carry on gentlemen!

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

Wow. That looks bad. I think I would look around for a better core. Caddy's are addicting......Welcome to the sickness.

18. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Thanks man! A new core certainly wouldn’t hurt my feelings! As a Chevy guy I thought I was going to the dark side when I decided to go ford flathead and spend the most money I had ever spent building an engine for the least amount of horsepower..... I think the Cadillac is going to blow that out of the water. But man I’m excited to build one!!!

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1961-cadillac-390-motor-tranny.1142666/

31hotrodguy likes this.
  20. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

By chance does anybody happen to know 50bomb personally? I’ve sent a few pm’s but haven’t heard back. Looks like he sells a lot of stuff on here so he is pretty active. Might have to right this one off for now if I can’t get a hold of him.

21. Roothawg

Roothawg

Cam showed up today! Should be a decent cam. The guys at Bullet listened to all my stupid questions and came up with this setup. image.jpg

22. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Looks like a lot of fun to me!!!!!

Roothawg likes this.
  23. Looks Awesome....:rolleyes::cool:

31hotrodguy and Roothawg like this.
  24. Roothawg

Roothawg

Got my intake back from the polisher. It looks better in person.

3D63F1BC-5D55-48F5-BF9C-F22F94E8CEC3.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  25. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Kinda sorry I didn't buy that from you when I had the chance:p. Looks awesome Chris.

31hotrodguy, Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  26. Yes! I wanted to run a pair of AFBs on my Offy Pontiac intake and it has the same bolt pattern as your Weiand. I got my carb adapters from Speedway...came with the adapters, gaskets and studs with nuts. 370dualquads.jpg

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

An old mechanic told my dad once. What creates rust. Water. What deteriorates rust. Water. He said to soak it in water. Kind of makes sense.

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  28. Does anyone ever chrome their intakes after polishing? Silly question?

Sent from my SM-A520F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

This one was supposed to be plated. They tried but he didn't like the finish. So, he just polished it up.

31hotrodguy and DeLuxe 32 like this.
  30. Looks good Chris! Guessing this means you are starting to think about the 36 again? :cool:

31hotrodguy likes this.