Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do you do for a living

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by 210superair, Jan 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Pardon me if there's a thread on this, searched, didn't find.

What do you guys do to earn a living? Obviously many of you are retired (since I'm 44 and keep getting told how young I am), but to the guys out there still working, or if you want to tell us what you used to do before retirement, what is/was your career?

I'm a food scientist. Yeah. I eat waffle cones and cupcakes all day. Work in a food factory doing the science end, pathology control, QA, R&D, etc etc. Our stuff goes all over the globe and there's a pretty high likelihood a lot of you guys have eaten products I designed.

You?

2. LAROKE

LAROKE

At 71 I'm taking my Social Security but I still have a full time job doing IT work for a architectural firm.

3. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

I was an automotive tech for 32 years, 25 of which I owned and operated a training center, electronics division and did mobile analysis and programming. I sold my business to my long term employees at the end of 2019 and went to work for a global leader of PC USB oscilloscopes based in the UK. I kept the restoration side of the business and will reopen that in a few years maybe.
    Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I was an operating engineer ,Stationary Engineer 35 years , terminated from there for being of sick to have 4 discs in the neck fused .

5. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Master Electrician now retired who's dad owned a body shop an taught me the business. Now work on family trusts managing the investments so guess not really retired

6. Deuces

Deuces

CNC machinist... Lately I've been having some fun on the Bridgeports.... YaY!!!.... :):rolleyes:

7. Retired pimp, part-time gigalo expimp (1).jpg .:D....

Malcolm, 29A-V8, 48fordnut and 29 others like this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Privately owned Utilities with bulk power plants. 80 megawatts to 750 megawatts. Gas/oil/coal/nuclear. 45 years an electrician and supervisor (that means changing diapers on 50 year olds). Retired 2 times; the last time 6 years ago. Put every cent I could in 401K’s and it was worth it. Started collecting SS at 69. Still live in the only house I every bought with the same wife 55 years, a true blessing. Was blessed to have a precision wind tunnel model maker machinist for a father. My mother up until the day she died at 96 always introduced me as the son who never grew up. I treasure that comment every day. Had 2 race cars that ran on “hard money” that’s overtime to most. I have 2 great children, one is owner/driver of a 1/2 mile dirt Super/Pro Stock race car I’m privileged to pit on. Life is good every day..

9. You look like a purple Hamburgler.

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Trucker for 36 years, owner-operator the last 25 of that. Been in 40 of the lower 48 states at least once. Now stay in a 5 state area, mostly in two states, AL and TN. Hope to semi retire this year at 62, work about 3 days a week for a while before I quit completely.

11. lancew1959

lancew1959

I work in the Oil and Gas Industry as a mechanic mostly on Drilling Rigs.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I thought you were a drummer.

13. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I drove truck for 41 year before retiring last October, now I am mostly full time in the garage. I got more done in 2 months than I have in 10 years when I was working.

14. Fordors

Fordors

I started at Clearing Machine, a large machine shop in late 1969 pulling chips. Clearing produced small OBI presses on up to giant presses for the auto industry, etc. I hired in as a helper cleaning chips out of the machines, hooking loads for overhead crane operators and helping machinists with setups.
    I guess I showed some initiative because they put me on a 6” horizontal boring mill within a year. December of 1970 about 40% of the shop got laid off and I was next hired at EMD, GM’s locomotive plant where I put in 35 years. I retired at 56 years of age effective on 1-1-‘06 and never looked back. I miss some of the people but not the plant.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  15. Fordors

Fordors

I ran CNC’s my last 10 years, but I much preferred the old way- levers and dials. CNC capability is phenomenal but the manual machines were more fun, at least for me.

16. trollst

trollst

Operating engineer, heavy equipment operator all my life. Retired at 55, still working, but only when the phone rings, 65 now, ten years not having to get up in the morning. I prided myself on being the best in my field, worked some pretty interesting stuff, some stuff that took all the skill and knowledge I had, stuff that makes you beam with pride when it was done.
    My hands bother me now, I'm half deaf, but otherwise, 50 years of running iron didn't beat me up too bad. My dad was very proud of me, he was an equipment guy too.

Gammz, Okie Pete, alanp561 and 13 others like this.
  17. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Retired City Public Works Director, 38 years in Public Works.

18. grumpy65

grumpy65

Glazier, Metal Fabricator, shit stirrer...................

19. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I spent the last 22 years of my working career as a partsman for a
    Lincoln-Mercury dealership. My boss would let me be the guy to work
    with any 5.0 Mustang guys I could get to come in. A good gig most of
    the time but I worked with some miserable b******ds there. A good
    partsman is worth his weight in gold and I was better than good.
    Unfortunately, the new car world has passed me by. In all honesty,
    I was more of a common laborer than anything else.

Like Fordors, I also spent time at GM's Electro Motive Division, part
    time while in high school in the late sixties.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  20. charlesf

charlesf

Retired attorney. 43 years. Firm started by my father in 1940. Still carries on with my “junior “ partner.

21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Many hats. Certified pressure vessel welder for Babcock&Wilcox. 10yrs
    EMT/fireman 10yrs
    Robotic Programmer/operator for Volvo/GM Truck industry. 10yrs
    Manager for a Metrology Lab for Genie 10yrs..
    Facilities Manager for one of the largest Historic sites in Ohio. 10yrs
    Retired now it’s all about “me time”

22. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

GM parts guru for the past 17 years. I tell everyone I'm the best damn GM parts guy in the county. And I mean it. @quick85 is correct...a good parts guy is worth his weight in gold. A GREAT parts guy is really hard to find.

23. samdjr74

samdjr74

Radio engineer in the wireless industry for 25 years.

24. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Thanks for all the posts guys, very interesting stuff. Keep it coming...

25. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

210 super air I was at night in crazy Austin

26. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

and how do we know each other my friend

Okie Pete and VANDENPLAS like this.
  27. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

After finishing college for aviation technology I realized that flying the line wouldn't work for me. The early 90s was a bad time for the aviation industry. I wasn't going to fly for peanuts. Horrible wages at the time so I did some home building (framing and roofing).
    For the last 20 yrs I have been a sommelier/ CSW. Wine was a hobby that has become a career.
    The bueaty of this is I very rarely have to take work home with me. Gives me time for my hobbies and family.

28. 4ty

4ty

Retired now, pumped gas at 16, PWA for a while in their overhaul shop in Southington CT, NAVY AIR for 4 years, back to PWA, 29 years servicing typewriters and copiers for IBM and Kodak, 8+ years for Ferguson Water Works delivering water pipe and anything for sewer,water, drain (best job I ever had. Now work part time as a courtesy driver/parts chaser/road tester for a local garage (in business 65+ years). Asked to be laid off last April due to the virus as I'm 76 and type 2 diabetic. Vaccine shot next week and then may go back. First time that I've really felt retired, no alarm clock, come and go as I please.
    Paul in CT

29. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

so superair 210 when are you going to be back home?

30. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Trial attorney, mainly representing individuals injured in accidents in personal injury actions. Bar admitted in PA (inactive) and NJ and the Federal district in 2011, became partner at the Law Office of Patrick Patel in Jersey City, NJ in 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.