Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally got my GASSER to the track

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopperman, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Nice job and goes nice and straight for a new build, nice speed too with the nose in the air. What do you have your timing at 28, 30 or 32 ???

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  2. Chopperman

Chopperman

30 degrees, distributor locked out. I’m also running a Boost / Timing controller. I have it pulling out 1.5 degrees for every 2 pounds of boost.

3. I need a cigarette and i don't even smoke! I needed that fix, thanks man, badass :cool:

mad mikey, Stogy, Budget36 and 4 others like this.
  4. Butch M

Butch M

oh yeah

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  5. Nice - was that your dad up at the line ?

6. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

How cool is that, with your Dad and Son there too, Priceless.

mad mikey, loudbang and olscrounger like this.
  7. Chopperman

Chopperman

yeah - pops at the line and my son was filming, checking tire pressure, and changing plugs.

He got promoted from schwab to crew !

8. Chopperman

Chopperman

long time no see!

I’m assuming the Nova is gone by the picture in your profile.

mad mikey, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  9. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Yep, Nova went to a Museum in Pennsylvania. And I have had a few different 55 and 56 cars and wagons, Having fun with this new to me '55 straight axle car, I'm about 3 seconds slower than yours, single carb small block. 4 speed, 9" Alot of fun though, drive it everyday when its dry out, Hope you keep the plates on your car so we will see it on the local streets around Placer county

10. I'm at 32 not locked with an MSD BTM as well, when I dynoed it I was only making 3 lbs boost on 93 octane so the timing was good, I eventually changed pulleys and went to 12% over, I recently replaced the 6-71 with an 8-71 and swapped the 750 blower carbs carbs to 950's.

20180806_145355.jpg

I was planning on dropping down to 30 on the timing but that would only give me 7 initial which seems low to me. Surprised to see 4160 style carbs on yours, but it must like them lol

11. Chopperman

Chopperman

yeah - those demon carbs wouldn’t have been my preference, but they came with the blower and met the CFM requirements using the online calculator. I was really worried they would be too lean, but the plugs look awesome. I’m sure I’ll be upgrading to bigger carbs with time.

750’s would seem to be perfect. Why are you upping the CFM so much?

12. The 750's are listed as small block carbs and every blower group I'm on and all research done seems to back it up. Like you they came with the blower, they were brand new in the box, the guy was going to put together a 454 but bailed when his budget ran out for the project.
    I have 38 more cubes than you but I know several guys running 950's on 468's and 496's, remember air in and air out, that blower doesn't like sucking through a straw.

13. Not to hijack this thread but learn. Do you guys use boost reference in carbs or plug the PV and square jetting? What size jets?

I'm also in the middle of new 540cid + 8/71 build for my FED here. Carbs are 850 cfm QFs and my plan is to start with 85 square jetting, no pv, 30 degrees locked. 8% od, premium 92 oct pump gas. Also what heat range are your plugs?

Same story carbs came with blower, would have chosen bigger ones otherwise
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  14. My carbs are #2 and #8 on this list of carbs
    "Supercharger Carburetors - Holley" https://www.holley.com/products/fue...ecialty_carburetors/supercharger_carburetors/

I think everyone has their own concoction and idea of what they like, some guys run stock Edelbrock's and say they work great, it does seem lots of people ask how to boost reference regular Holley's.
    Yellow Bullet has a good Supercharged section and this group is very knowledgeable on Holleys
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_sfid=25&share_fid=1979750&share_type=sf

15. Chopperman

Chopperman

Went to a smaller pulley up top, added some timing, increased my launch rpm, and added an air shifter.

Ran 10.53 and I took my foot out of it. She could be a 9 second car with a little more work, but I need to start slowing it down and work on my 10.60 index and my RTs.

she’s a wheel stander!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  16. Heck yeah man !

mad mikey, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. Chopperman

Chopperman

Next on the punch list is:

- wheelie bars
    - head rest (track officials were pretty pissed I didn’t fix that)
    - SFI cage padding
    - mechanical throttle stop

To get into the 9’s I’m gonna need a new valve train and more carb. She’s running out of rev at the top end. And the car and me need to go on a diet; currently sitting at 3800 lbs. she’s thick

18. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I also have a friend that runs D/Gas at Sac, Sears Point etc, the gold T-Bolt clone. Car is very consistent with a 427, and he is a master with the 4V adjustable intake plates. Very happy to stay in D, easily makes the time, runs straight, never breaks, and lots of fun

mad mikey, olscrounger and loudbang like this.
  19. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Good to see this car/you ....I was glued the build thread what seems like a long time ago....

loudbang likes this.
  20. choptop40

choptop40

great video...smoke em up..

loudbang likes this.
  21. Chopperman

Chopperman

Buttoned up a couple little safety items the track officials wanted me to fix
    - head rest, SFI padding, higher side bar

Also started on the wheelie bars which led me to the welding shop to look at TIG machines of course!

Attached Files:

22. If I was local to you I'd let you borrow my carbs to try them out, see what that motor likes.

mad mikey, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  23. Chopperman

Chopperman

yeah it was a long time ago, like 10 years.

I've had this car for so long that the motivation was easily lost as I aquired new projects, but shes back on point and I've gained some new momentum to keep it moving forawrd.

24. Chopperman

Chopperman

Wheelie bars are all welded up 1691185F-2DB3-4B30-8257-C229AF44F2D9.jpeg

oldiron 440, swade41, AHotRod and 7 others like this.
  25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I wanna do wheelies on the street one day...

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Nothing better than having some kid in his WRX challenge you at a stop light and then pull the front wheels off the ground as you leave him sitting there. He wont even look over at you when you get to the next light. :)

27. roddering

roddering
    from Arizona

Great gasser. I love how your passing the torch to the younger generation. Amen brother!

mad mikey, 31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  28. Rooster72

Rooster72

Cant wait till the tracks open now

29. Chopperman

Chopperman

Wheelie bars installed.

E2F84F1A-87C2-48DB-8509-0137664B0358.jpeg 7F01D156-72B1-4152-9D21-3EE0B2601F64.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    Petejoe, mad mikey, swade41 and 8 others like this.