Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

i should be able to build a corvette racecar out of there:)

31hotrodguy, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Dìd anyone else spot what looks to be a wrecked Corvette drag car?
    Three things stand out to me but I'll let you guys find it, kind of a "Where's Waldo"?

scotty t and 31hotrodguy like this.
  3. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Or the Coupe with 6 taillights?

4. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Here's another shot of the same yard:

Vette Junkyard.jpg

5. Here’s another pic of that yard with a 57 nomad in it!
    552FCCF8-9691-475B-B76D-F675B85045CC.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  6. tmwracing

tmwracing
    from Ohio

The one with the push bar and rollbar.

loudbang, scotty t and 31hotrodguy like this.
  7. jimdillon

jimdillon

I remember looking at those pictures probably 40 some years ago. It has long been out of business for years. Sometimes the prices of these wrecked cars are way out of line. Dennis Tracy had a 62 rear tub on ebay for quite a while, from the firewall back with no doors or trunk lid or deck lid for $10,000. I tried to buy a front clip from Paragon that was worth maybe $1000 since it was really twisted and needed tons of repair. They quoted me $2800 I believe and I walked on by. Bought one from a private party not long after in similar shape for $700. I also bough a 62 rear tub similar to the one Tracy has for $750. Tracy's may be a bit nicer but not by much.

There was a junkyard in New York state about five years ago that had to move in a hurry and they had great prices. i was tempted to hook up my trailer but was swamped with work. Sometimes you have to be in the right place at the right time.

I also noticed the rollbar. There were pictures of that junkyard in magazines before the internet was popular. I probably have that article somewhere. Truth be told bringing those wrecks back to life is not for the faint hearted. The fiberglass is the easy part. When they cut the car through the door jambs they cut the metal braces that are in the rockers. They must be replaced and then tied into the metal structure under the dash. It helps to be really sober when you do it. I finished one not too long ago and was proud of it but hard work. I have two more to do (if I live long enough) and not looking forward to it.

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Same here Jim, so long ago I forgot about it but found it just cruising the internet looking for tri-5 Chevy (pass.) stuff.
    That one with the roll bar took some blowing up when it was (vaguely) spotted and then I wasn't sure that was actually a push bar either, then I spotted the rear wheel opening appearing to be enlarged, wanted to know if others agreed or was I seeing things.
    Would really be interesting to hear about it as to the chain of events that got to here.

chryslerfan55 and scotty t like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Great catch, talk about good eyesight!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

There are actually quite a few modified cars in those pics. In the black/white pic there are two C2 roadsters with radius wheelwells. In the pic with the Nomad, the yellow C2 has grille mounted headlights. And in the pic with the funky painted hood C1, there is another C1 with a hood scoop. Theres probably others that Ive missed.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

When I was in high school about 1970 I knew an older guy with a 63 coupe that had grille mounted headlights, he said it was a "competition" style 66 nose.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Jim I seem to remember a "Tracy" that sold Corvette stuff in Hemmings, could that be the same person? It was way before the internet or e-bay. Actually when I was building my 62 Corvette the 70"s

Pat

31hotrodguy likes this.
  14. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

The photos of a Corvette wrecking yard above are mostly Lincoln's which was in the Seatle area. They had segregated areas for Corvette, 55-7 Chevys, and imports like Porche. They sold everything off many years ago and closed up.

You may be thinking of Tracey performance/Tracey Corvette parts & Service Roseville Michigan. The owner is Dennis Tracey and he is still in business. If you bought it from Dennis you probably paid "all the money". Dennis was an engineer and worked for GM. I think Pontiac. He was laid off during a recession back in the 70's maybe. He went on his own and never went back.

15. jimdillon

jimdillon

It is Dennis Tracy more than likely. He has been selling stuff for years. He generally wants top dollar for his stuff but once in a while he can surprise you. I bought a set hood latches about ten years ago and the price was right. He told me where in the aisle I would find them in a box and he was right. Maybe ten years ago I went over there to buy a rear fiberglass section for a 1959 Vette-just like a scrap piece. He had a broken rear section that would do the trick and if was worth maybe a couple hundred at best-he wanted $700 so I made my own. That is the date I saw his 62 rear tub in the flesh. When he told me he had it on ebay for $10,000 I was quite surprised. A buddy need a left side 62 door at that time and I asked him what he had and he had just sold one for $1000. It was pretty rough and I had bought several for a lot less but he is a businessman that is in business to make money.

I did though buy a couple of modified hoods. I wanted a modified hood and he had a couple he wanted strong money for so I passed but he showed me a couple he wanted to unload. One has the Ford style stinger bubble on it (which now sits on my shelf) and the other had a tough 67 Vette scoop in rough shape. He wanted I believe $200 apiece and I passed. The bubble hood had a $25 price tag on it from when he bought it probably. He kept dropping the price when I said I did not want them until I walked out with both for $100. I stripped the hood skin off the one and put on a 58 hood skin I had and that was a plus and the other still sits on my shelf.

I remember buying stuff from him in the late 70s and he had been selling stuff for years then.

16. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Rublegutz that's the one. Big full page ads in Hemmings.

Pat

loudbang likes this.
  17. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

18. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

19. loudbang

loudbang

20. '56 150

'56 150

IMG_8678.JPG

21. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

22. loudbang

loudbang

23. loudbang

loudbang

Hansen Chevrolet

hot78 hansen chevrolet.jpg

mkebaird, catdad49, quick85 and 9 others like this.
  24. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

25. j hansen

j hansen

26. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

That’s funny! The only thing my name is ever on is toilet paper ie Scott! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. loudbang

loudbang

28. 1934coupe

1934coupe

LB I remember a picture like that in my lifetime. I would guess mid to late 60's early 70's. Rocket or Astro wheels on front chrome reversed on back, blond on fender and Corvette in the snow. What could be better.

Pat

chryslerfan55, enloe, quick85 and 5 others like this.
  29. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Sounds good but "on the beach" has always been preferable to me.

c