Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50 COUPE, Jan 26, 2021.

1. 50 COUPE

50 COUPE

Hello everyone, just picked a "new to me" vehicle last week that I wanted to share and get your opinions on. 48 Dodge D24, 4 door. It's an original survivor car that I happened to run across. It called out to me and was priced right, so no it's mine!
    DSCF1287.JPG DSCF1288.JPG DSCF1289.JPG DSCF1290.JPG DSCF1291.JPG
    The car is complete and runs so so. Not sure what I to do with it just yet. Been reading about shock relocation, rack & pinion steering, V8 swap, just to see what's possible. Gonna keep it simple since I'm just wanting a good cruiser without breaking the bank.
    All comments and suggestions welcomed!

2. Moondog13

Moondog13

I’d opt for a good tune up, change of fluids, carb rebuild, wet sand and polish and go go go!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Nice look'n ride for sure!

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Good find - once you start changing motors, etc it will get more involved and more expensive than you ever thought in the beginning - have fun

41 GMC K-18 and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

If you are like most of the people on this site, you will be chopping the top and turning it into a two door. Oh yea, don't forget the early model HEMI. I had a 41 Plymouth, 4 door, drove the crap out of it. It did have a 241.6 Dodge Red Ram in it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. CME1

CME1

As said above; A tune up, change all fluids, check brakes. And then a split exhaust manifold with glass pack mufflers, really a great sound! A little drop in the front to give the car that "COOL" look! The old Mopars make great cruisers. What ever you do, have fun with your new find!:D

41 GMC K-18 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I started a simple V8 swap......over 13 years ago. Still not done!

Tune and drive

Algoma56 likes this.
  8. Bbdakota

Bbdakota

I had a 48 D24 2dr sedan, recently sold and I miss that car! That 230 flathead 6 is as smooth a running engine there ever was. And a sound all its own. Not a lot of power but if the 6 is in good shape, I'd keep it running and enjoy the car! Nice car!

9. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Leave the gun...take the cannoli kind of vibe to it.

Just Gary likes this.
  10. BJR

BJR

??????

chryslerfan55 and firstinsteele like this.
  11. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Godfather reference. Hitmen whack a guy who had just bought a box of cannolis.

chryslerfan55, Just Gary and BJR like this.
  12. 50 COUPE

50 COUPE

Thanks for all the kind replies. Glad she meets your approval. Gonna start with checking all the systems for proper function and then some simpler mods like lowering it a tad. After that, Probably the shock relocation. On the subject of lowering, I was considering using Aerostar springs up and blocks for the rear. This is my first vehicle with a flathead, so I will be reaching to you all for info, as I'm sure plenty of you know these well. Plan to spend some time getting use the unfamiliar features on it, like the fluid drive equipped trans. I have the original receipt from the dealership, as well as a couple of factory books, even registration info as far back as 53. Getting to know her is going to be as cool as getting to drive!

13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

That's one I would just drive. My mom drove one back in the day before I was born.
    Here is mom, the first three of my four older sisters, and the Dodge which was about a year old in this photo.
    My oldest sister, on the right, was pulled out of the car at about 30 mph when she opened a rear door and the wind caught it, pulling her out of the car in an instant. Hit her head on pavement and bled a lot, but no fracture and she was fine, thankfully.
    Family 419.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  14. jaracer

jaracer

Like others have said, get it running, steering and stopping good and the just drive it. Looks like a nice car.

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

16. Rusty J

Rusty J

I'd suggest looking over the wiring carefully for any corroded connections, broken wires, etc. Never know what you're gonna find - don't want a burnt car. Super cool car! Modify as you drive it.

17. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Join P-15 D-24 to get your more obscure questions answered...relocating the lower control arm spring pocket from the top to the bottom will drop you about 3 inches in the front.