Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Look what followed me home today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jan 17, 2021.

1. How many 435 hp four speeds in 69?

2. I found info on the eelco covers on a old hamb thread. It showed a original ad for them. They were offered with and without the slice. The slice was for brake booster clearance per the ad. The cost new in 1967 69.95. Those were expensive covers back then. I think my 427 needs them. I can't say I have ever seen another set like that

3. More research tells me the TM-2 intake is a tarantula. This pre dates the torker. Its a 70s piece so it would fit my build perfectly. It was a very popular intake that performed very well back in its day. I guess I'm headed to the glass beading cabinet next week to clean it up.

4. Just need this combo, big port 427X intake, 3 barrel Holley, Flying Eye and your day 2 muscle car build would be all set.

Screenshot_20210126-093535.jpg Screenshot_20210126-093600.jpg

Just Gary, mad mikey, enloe and 5 others like this.
  5. Thats a perfect day 2 combo. I had that in mind. I may set up more than one intake and carb option.

6. Deuces

Deuces

If you were smart, pretty much all of them....:):rolleyes::)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  7. I may have missed it but wouldn't it be easier (for a Corvette snob) to identify this engine as a tri power 427 if you ran a tri power intake? With a single four, wouldn't it just blend in with every other BBC? I guess my point is, how do you intend to needle the Vette peeps if they have no reason to take a gander at the numbers in the first place? Run a tri power and they'd be all over it.
    I believe I have an old Cars magazine that shows Motion Performance removing the tri powers in favour of a single carb.

Speaking of 427 tri powers and hemi's, when I was in high school there was a family in my area that owned some kind of auto business (never knew if it was a restoration shop or just their hobby shop ... they had some 'coin' so it could have been the later). The son drove around in a silver ragtop tri power vette (C3 style) and they had in their collection a 1971 Hemi GTX, a rag Hemi Challenger (don't know if 70 or 71), amongst many other cars. Drove by their shop one evening (they were closed) and along the wall (inside, viewed through glass doors) were two Hemi's and two 440 Six Pack engines just sitting there. This would have been somewhere around 1984.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  8. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Then you should do the right thing and put a big inch Hemi in the chevelle!

9. My intention with the car is not to needle the vette guys. As stated previously I plan on having several inductions available to switch out depending on what kind of driving I will be doing. I will be able to pull a camper; cruise around or go racing. I will be able to do it using correct old parts. Changing out intakes is easy compared to maintaining a nitro coupe.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  10. Mystery solved on the covers. I swiped this from a old hamb thread. 20210126_193229.jpg

MBog, mad mikey, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  11. What dust?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

enloe and loudbang like this.
  12. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Very cool racer x!

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

In the wind;)

Deuces, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. He's in Wisconsin, not Kansas.:rolleyes:

Deuces, loudbang and Budget36 like this.
  15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I had one of these on my 73 Camaro with a Dominator it ran very well

mad mikey, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  16. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, but goofy lookin'.... I'd rather stick with a dual plain... But that's just me....:rolleyes::)

17. Its strange how things pop up. I was on Facebook market place and some nos eelco ball joint spacers popped up. It turns out the guy selling them lives right down the street. I go over there and left with the green line gauges i needed for my project and some for a friends project. The wing nuts are nos. They match the ad for the eelco valve covers i posted about earlier. Now I know what packaging to look for so I can complete the set. He had alot of vintage stuff thats very hard to find. I will be going back. He had a cool G meter that looks like a tach. I think I need that it looked so cool. 20210129_200005.jpg 20210129_200052.jpg 20210129_200102.jpg

18. egads

egads

19. interesting read for sure.

mad mikey, egads and loudbang like this.
  20. I stopped at my neighbors place again. Last time I was there I bought the green line gauges. This time I bought the matching tach. Its very nice and came with a nos cup. You dont see these very often. I'm going to try to find out what years they were made. I'm thinking late 60s. I included a pic of the part number if anyone can add any info. 20210203_181005.jpg 20210203_205731.jpg 20210203_205559.jpg 20210203_205354.jpg 20210203_205127.jpg 20210203_205120.jpg 20210203_205448.jpg
    The other piece I grabbed due to a weak moment. Its a G meter. I have never seen this make before. It has a calibration screw in the back. I think it gets adjusted based on the angle its mounted at. This was too cool to pass up. It will go in my nitro coupe. It will be fun to see how many Gs I can pull. I will be doing some research to find out more about this unusual piece.

21. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'd like to see how many g's you can pull too. ;):D does it have a memory so we can recall it while your still passed out? LOL. Lippy

22. The G Metere is cool, but it only goes to 1 G. Your coupe should burry that, maybe even on a burnout.

23. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen that style S/W Greenline tach dated as early as '64 and as late as '75, so that should fit your build style perfectly! Glad you got the sender too, Great score!
    Looks like your's was made in January of '66.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    racer-x, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  24. How do you figure out the date? Thats so cool seeing that its going in a 66. The guy that sold it to me said there is a way to figure out the date. They made several sending units. I don't see a part number on mine. I'm wondering what one it is. 20210203_180631.jpg

25. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

K1, above the sending unit, is the date code. K being 1966, 1 being January. I Googled "Stewart Warner date codes" to get this info and a bunch of chart's came up, pretty cool info. The sender is an Autometer version of what looks to be a S/W 819891 sender, which should be for 4 cycle, 12 volt, 8 cylinder. There should be numbers on the other side of your sender to check and cross reference to verify.

26. Thanks for the additional info. Some of the fun buying these old parts is learning all of the details about them. My build is being done with a very narrow window for the parts I use. Its cool to know the gauges will fit perfectly with what I'm doing. Thanks for the great info.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  27. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My pleasure Brian. I agree that finding out the details is half the fun, the other half is hooking them up and seeing them in action! Too bad you can't show more of the build here, but there's no doubt in my mind that EVERYTHING will be top notch!!! :cool:
    Stay safe and healthy, Jedd

28. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

I had the Tach, Oil Press, Water Temp and Alt Gauges in my OT 68 Hemi RR cirra 1970.

29. I have made a list of other parts I'm trying to find. Some are harder to find than others. It will take some time but I will find them.
    Mickey Thompson scavenger headers. They were orange.
    Finned 12 bolt rear cover
    Hurst rear shocks
    Three barrel carb
    Vintage ignition
    Eelco oil pan
    Sommers bros front cover
    Cool can
    Fly eye air cleaner
    Three point bolt in roll bar
    Thrush round 2.5 inch mufflers
    I want the car to be a rolling collection of era specific parts that demonstrates what once was.

30. Eelco never made a BBC aluminum oil pan, only a small block. Only finned aluminum big block Chevy pan I know of was a marine application

MBog, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.