Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '33 5w Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Only one word defines this car !
    per·fec·tion
    /pərˈfekSH(ə)n/
    Learn to pronounce

noun
    1. the condition, state, or quality of being free or as free as possible from all flaws or defects.
      "the satiny perfection of her skin"

Stogy, CTaulbert, SquintBoy and 2 others like this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Already driving in the ice/snow. Is that a thing with you? ;)

CTaulbert and loudbang like this.
  3. primed34

primed34

Looks like it would be kinda chilly with any window glass. Great looking ride.

4. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have achieved the unachievable.

5. I love the way you centered the front tires under the fenders' arches; both lengthwise and crosswise.:cool:

CTaulbert, RodStRace and loudbang like this.
  6. slug

slug

So many times that is missed and it really hurts a could be great car.

33Doll, CTaulbert, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  7. Perfect!...just perfect. Nuff said.

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Cory: Your build just leaves a guy wanting for more. Outstanding job. Gary

CTaulbert, Pewsplace and loudbang like this.
  9. Cory's work is beyond outstanding. I hope his engineering job doesn't have him designing actuator solenoid brackets for some buried piece of heater ducting. His abilities need to be on full display.

loudbang, CTaulbert and flatheadpete like this.
  10. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Thanks Marty - that means a lot!

loudbang likes this.
  11. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Already getting it acclimated!

loudbang likes this.
  12. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Thanks Gary! I’m looking forward to getting this one on the road!

loudbang likes this.
  13. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

The common thread between that and hot rodding is that we’re all just problem solvers!

loudbang and Dick Stevens like this.
  14. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cory,If I may, what is the wheelbase set at now?Although I might as well shit -can mine since you hit all the bases,and raised the bar.

15. RodStRace

RodStRace

loudbang and CTaulbert like this.
  16. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

It’s 112.5”, but I’m sure I moved the front axle nearly 1”. I suspect that I moved the rear axle a little forward to get it more centered too.

17. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

It's been a while since I updated this thread, but it wasn't because I haven't been working on the car.....I've been thrashing on it!

I needed to finish off the front floor area of the car, with the project revolving around the toeboard and trans tunnel. I decided to build one complete unit, fastened in place with several machine screws.

The toeboards are 16g, and the tunnel is 18g, both with a lower perimeter in a 1/8" flange to fasten to the floor and firewall.

020.jpg 021.jpg

51box, brEad, Shadow Creek and 20 others like this.
  18. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

With the floor closed up, I started working on a removable panel to house all of the interior electronics for the car. I made the panel out of 1/8" steel, fastened with a half dozen 1/4-28 nuts. This will allow me to prewire some of the car on the bench, before hanging it under the dash.

Ignore the OT fuel injection controller, but admire the bracket I made to hide it behind the passenger kick panel!

022.jpg 023.jpg 024.jpg 025.jpg 026.jpg 027.jpg

19. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I continued inside the car with getting the heater mounted. I had picked up a Harrison heater, identical to the one I have in the '32. I know it works well!

I shortened the copper tubes that normally pass through the firewall, and soldered on some right angle NPT fittings so that I can transition to AN hose. That also allowed me to get the unit closer to the backside of the firewall too.

I made a hanging bracket, rather than using the cantilevered studs on the back side of the heater case. I learned that lesson on my '32, watching that thing shake going down the road. I eventually added a brace to stop it, but that drove me to plan out a better solution for this car.

I added some AN bulkhead fittings for passing the coolant through the firewall easily.

028.jpg 029.jpg 030.jpg 031.jpg 032.jpg

20. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I also modified a '33-34 pedal to fit back into the car, with a left hand arm exit.
    033.jpg

While I had been working on this stuff, I had a license plate frame getting machined out of stainless too. I designed a California-esq frame, but scaled down to look less bulky.

036.jpg 037.jpg 034.jpg 035.jpg

Peanut 1959, brEad, El Hueso and 18 others like this.
  21. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

With the list of interior items narrowing up, I started building the gloveboxes for the dash. I formed up some 18g boxes, with the rear wall removable. That makes getting access to things behind easy, but it's also going to make the upholsterer's job easier when he wraps them in felt!

Each box has a pair of USB charging ports, and an overhead LED light (that will be tied into the dome light circuit). In the passenger box, I added a mini-USB port to communicate to the OT injection controller. I also managed to tuck the heater valve on the outside of it next to the cowl, with a shaft passing through the box to control the water flow.

038.jpg 039.jpg 040.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  22. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

One of the last projects inside was modifying a '40 park brake lever to fit in the car, and adding a steering column brace to take the load off the dash.

041.jpg 042.jpg 006.jpg

Just Gary, brEad, El Hueso and 16 others like this.
  23. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

By this time, we finally had a nice day in Michigan, so I rolled the car outside again to see how things were shaping up.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg

Jet96, Tjompen, simplestone and 26 others like this.
  24. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

WOW, NICE METAL SHAPING ON THE TUNNEL

loudbang, nunattax, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  25. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

My NOS Offenhauser 2x2 Cadillac intake looked great, but the angle in the carb bases must've been destined for a boat! I knew that I would eventually recut the bases, and finally got around to the project.

I went up to Dan's to use his Bridgeport. The first step was the fixture the intake with the carb bases level. From there, I bored down through the 5/16-18" fastener holes with a 0.373" end mill. That allows me to press in some 0.375" slugs.

With the slugs in place, I refixtured the intake with it level on the mill, and began flycutting the bases until I brought them to be on the same plane. I then redilled the fastener holes with the mill, keeping them perpendicular, and finished it by tapping it by hand.

It looks much better now!

007.jpg 008.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg 011.jpg

26. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I still needed to mount the PowerGen alternator, and factory bypass oil filter in the quickly closing up engine bay. I used a mockup engine to build the brackets near my bench, allowing me to quickly confirm things on the car.

I also built a new oil filler neck, sans the fuel pump provisions since this car won't need one.

012.jpg 013.jpg 014.jpg 015.jpg 016.jpg

rod1, brEad, El Hueso and 15 others like this.
  27. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

At this point, my fabrication is dwindling for the car. I think I've pretty much covered everything that needs to be built for the car, which will make reassembling the car after paint much easier.

Speaking of which, my date with the painter is soon, so I pulled the drivetrain out, and got to work stripping the last bit of paint from the car.

017.jpg 018.jpg

28. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Cory Just Bittchen Work, Outstanding

loudbang, nunattax, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  29. 33Doll

33Doll

Man you have so many good ideas.
    I was wondering about that on my 33’
    It was just anchored to the flimsy stock dash board, with basically the single stock screw holes on the ends.
    I like yours way better than a bar all the way across the bottom sideways.

Also love the trans/toe board Screwed in the stock location? I want to do something similar with the old trans tunnel and a new trans tunnel cut and flip them around, for a Little more clearance for the distributor, and the 39 trans. and make them removable. That way I don’t have to fabricate a curved piece.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I used some of the stock fastener locations on the firewall, but most of them were new holes I added to work with the new floors from Jesse Coots.

I added 10-32 caged nuts everywhere else to make assembling the toeboard/tunnel easier.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    lurker mick, brEad, loudbang and 2 others like this.