Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Has the market gone crazy ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Jan 24, 2021.

1. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

The market can do whatever it wants to as far as I am concerned as I am keeping my stuff anyhow. If things get bad I am taking mine to the Trailer park with me! And if I get hungry I am gonna Starve to death in my Five window! :D:D

2. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Vandenplas I misunderstood your original post with my earlier response. I think the reason you are seeing top notch cars for sale online and such are because the usual way these cars exchange hands where at large car shows and private sales between collectors. Also big dollar cars where built to win high profile shows, and magazine coverage , which promoted project investment from parts and material suppliers. All that is gone now. Add the fact that many collectors are now looking to reduce or clear out their collections due to age , health, death or finacial situations. they are now using what ever sales venues they can find. the sad part is for every guy that has sold a car in recent years for any amount close to the invested value, countless others are still sitting. the market is over loaded with cars of every style and price range and money talks and bull--it walks. A lot of people invested way to much money in their cars and still hope to get it back. Best of luck to them. Hope you find a good deal on your next project. But then I thought the deal you got on the 64 Merc drop top was good! lol Larry

3. Squablow

Squablow

This is something I hadn't thought of but it does make sense. The Iola swap meet car corral would have been full of high end stuff for sale this summer, and I know some people wait all year to put a car for sale there. Same with spring/fall Jefferson. But there was no Iola swap meet this year. And the shows and swaps that were held, weren't nearly as well attended. So I imagine shops who built cars to resell, dealers, and just private owners who were wanting to sell their finished car, didn't have as many opportunities to do that this year, so they shifted hard online.

There's no hard data to back that up, but the logic is definitely there.

4. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

^^^^
    And that, gentlemen, is the correct answer.

31hotrodguy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  5. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Seems this discussion for the most part is about vehicles listed online.
    Searching for a car to buy online is entertaining but not a serious way to buy for me.
    I like the traditional way...if I can use the term traditional.
    Old school,pre internet. I find old cars and trucks every time I head out and look for them. I talk to people face to face. Get leads from other car guys and chase them down. Locals or out in the state folks who have quietly collected stuff for years. Old Ned up in Out of the Way western Minnesota has a shed full of cars he has gathered over the last 6 decades. Might sell or might not. Either way it's a day trip and a conversation over old cars that is soul satisfying and no...I won't take pics to share with the world. There are 3-10 car collections in the metro area where I live that rarely are seen but the owners would love to show them off and talk for hours about them. Might even sell one. Plus he knows who's got what sitting in a old chicken coop 3 towns over and he just might tell you where it is if he likes you.
    Bet there are in your area as well.
    There are 100's of cars around almost everyone's living area and a lot are for sale if one takes the time to look beyond the computer screen. Plus it cuts out the middle man.
    For all the over priced hucksters trying for the quick buck on a rotting money pit there are the small guys who would love to see their car end up in the hands of a enthusiast who would enjoy the car as much as they did when they first got it and for less than what's advertised online. It just takes some work to find these deals. They are out there. Just like they were when we were all a bit(or a lot) younger.
    Anywho....that's my take on it. Might be a little sideways from what the O.P. was aiming at but I've posted my opinion.

Wanderlust, F-ONE, VANDENPLAS and 5 others like this.
  6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2

31hotrodguy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

In all the years I have been building and wrenching on old cars I never worried about the return I may get on the investment. We enjoy our cars and making them the best they can be with the skill set that we have. Our car evolve over years in most cases so the money spent on them is amortized over several years. I have never felt I would get all the money spent back out of a ride if I sold.

41 GMC K-18, ramblin dan and Budget36 like this.

8. I never thought of it but I think your correct same with @partsdawg there has been no other avenue this year to sell your high end car !
    So simple the answer as be staring us in our bored to death faces this whole time ! Lol.

and @0NE BAD 51 MERC don’t get me wrong, I loved that merc I had, but I have automotive ADD and love all cars ! Lol. Been really lucky over the years I’ve never lost on any of my rides. Break even most times, sometimes make a few bucks but I’ve never lost .

31hotrodguy and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Well this is way it ought to be...
    I'm saying this to toot my own horn but I'm in control of the potential transaction below on my end. I hope he gets it. It's how I want it to be.
    [​IMG]Untitled by Travis Brown, on Flickr
    My '64 Sports Coupe...I know it's been garage kept since '77. It's like a 13 year old car.

I have too many projects. The '64 has always been the "sacred cow" since I got it 12 years ago. It's ready to go. All the stuff is ready. I have an engine, this engine (from my old F1) 2 transmissions all the small parts from years of gathering stuff. All the manuals. It's ready to be put on the road. The average Hamber could have her going in a month. I've had it a decade.
    I've made my choice and it's this car.
    [​IMG]Untitled by Travis Brown, on Flickr

I need the space. I have been happy to own the little Sports Coupe but it's time for it to go to someone who would really love it.
    I've had the privilige to meet a man who I hope gets it. We both teach Sunday school and he works with youth. He's a contactor, a house painter by trade. He's a car guy. My wife had him repaint the interior of our house. Of course he had to visit the garage. He has been looking for a car.

He used to have a 62 Chevy II, a nice one that he fixed up. He sold that car to adopt his youngest son. If you are familiar with adoption, you know how expensive that is. His son is so bright and such a good little boy. He loves cars too.

He looked at it and really likes that little coupe. He asked me to give him a price. I said lets see....The Coupe with it's 289 that needs building, that '68 302, the 67 C4 all the manuals and all the small parts I've gathered for it through the years...she's ready to be put together....
    How about $500.00 I got it at a deal years ago and I want to pass it on the you if you want it.

Absolutely not he said. I will not do that! Travis, he said, give me a realistic price for that car.

I priced it to him at $2500 with the understanding that I'm a man of my word and I would still take $500, just what ever you can do. He's OK with the 2500. I think he's going to get it.
    I saw him just the other day and he has researched those cars. He said I want it. I said well, it's not going anywhere till you come get it...

I hope he gets it. It would be a good start for them. It's a good car with good stuff.

I'm not saying you need to be Santa Clause with your stuff but then again, for me, it's always been about the people rather than the car.

10. I agree about the people, the last car I sold, ot by a couple years, I priced fairly, had people come make offers trying to get it cheaper by picking it apart. Finally a young couple came and looked and were excited about trying to get it, they hesitantly made an offer which I quickly accepted. It was less than some others offered but I believe the car deserved a good home, they were it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. Budget36

Budget36

You’re a good man.

12. trollst

trollst

Yes F one, I can identify, I recently did the same as you've done, I sold a roadster pickup to a guy I felt should own it, and I'm pleased to say he loves it and is enjoying the hell out of it. It's never been about money for me. My car got a good home.

31hotrodguy, VANDENPLAS and F-ONE like this.
  13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I think a lot of it depends on what you're looking for.

The market for rods and prewar stuff is definitely up. $10K for a beater, non-running A coupe seems to be about the going rate. Don't get me started on 32-34s. They're approaching exotic territory where Porsches and others exist. Tri-five Chevys always command a top dollar

But for other post-war stuff, I have to be honest, I feel like it's been the opposite. Every day I see my FB feed from the Kustom Klassifieds and other groups posting what are really decent cars for very attractive prices. Since this is the era of cars I prefer, there have been some nice deals to be had. And I'm talking for 2 door hardtops and 2 door sedans, not 4 doors that are really nice but nobody wants. For $20K, you can get yourself basically a completely turn-key car that is going to look good and drive well. And I say that for cars that are priced at $35-30K, because I think some of the people asking for that much will ultimately sell around $20K.

I think the bottom line comes down to cash. There's a lot of dreamers out there, but when push comes to shove, are you able to hand over the cash. There's (usually) no financing for 60+ year old car, so if you're a bonafide purchaser with cash in hand, the seller isn't going to usually have someone beating the door down if you play hardball.

14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Prices are all over the place but you can find a nice, I mean nice Shoebox Ford, 49-52 Chevy/Pontiac and occasionally a Olds 88 less for than 15K.

VANDENPLAS and 57JoeFoMoPar like this.
  15. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The market has not gone crazy but a bunch of people have. I'm curious why people figure they ought to get all their money out of a hobby car? Do you recoup all your money on a riding lawn mower, a new couch, or a TV set? My old '55 Chevy has paid for itself over the last 20 years. Thousands of miles and good times in it. I think I have gotten my money's worth out of it so when some starry eyed younger person comes around one of these days he/she will get a good deal.

And, no, I don't think flippers are the cause of high prices. If a vehicle costs more than you want to pay, then don't buy the car. Fairly simple, I'd say. Keep in mind that "worth" is what someone will pay and not what someone is asking for a vehicle. What will you pay for a vehicle? That is the "worth" to you. It might (or might not) be what I think the "worth" is. No car sitting out there has any worth by itself.

16. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

New people to the world of classic cars see TV auctions. They do not realize most of these cars are bought and sold by millionaire collectors and not your average Joe. Notice the same faces at every TV auction. And a well respected restoration shop who specializes in a particular cars are worth alot more then others. If your a average Joe you gotta turn off that TV its entertainment. If your looking for a car you cannot be afraid to search craigslist daily AND BE WILLING TO GO LOOK no matter what seller is asking. I try to buy a $500-$1,000 project every few months to flip so Im always going to look. Best part about going to look you see some amazing stashes of cars. I went last week to buy a 63-327 for the original parts for mine, this old old old guy had a hugger orange 69 camaro S.S. on jackstands in a garage on his farm. Had a tarp covering the wintows and top. I was amazed on the condition of the paint that I did see. He said thats got a 427 AS soon as he seen me pull my phone out he said NO photos come on lets go.

17. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I still see a lot of 90’s era street rods for sale done with the dated interiors, wheels and paint that they’re asking top dollar for. Some have potential to look more traditional but by the time you paint, redo interior and get rid of the other stuff you’d be way over what they’re worth.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. trollst

trollst

So...Carroll Shelby's personal cobra sold at Mecum for $5,400,000, OK........

VANDENPLAS and 31hotrodguy like this.
  19. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

rod1, VANDENPLAS and 31hotrodguy like this.
  20. This thread had nothing to do with the market value of cars until a bunch of people who can't read turned it into that. It was simply asking about the large number of high end cars that seem to be getting advertised online all of a sudden.

21. Everybody's out of work and selling high to try and pay their rent/mortgage and all the auctions really drive the prices up.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  22. Look at MOPAR's 40's and 50's there will be something there thats a driver, you may hate them but that's where they are, also 50's and 60's Nash s

HotRodTractor and VANDENPLAS like this.
  23. exterminator

exterminator

24. TCATTC

TCATTC

I think all those "Reality" TV shows have a lot of people brainwashed.

25. topher5150

topher5150

It seems to be 50/50 from what I've seen. For example this morning I saw a 50? Ford coupe on marketplace no drivetrain, and the floors were cut out and it had some t-bird seats he wanted $5k, then I saw on here a similar complete car with a 302 for nearly half that price.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  26. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

In 2000 I paid $1900 for my 64 Fairlane, it had 50k on the clock and had been sitting in a garage for years. I paid up for it because I had wanted one for 25 years but I thought it was crazy money. After I had the car I started looking to see what was for sale and found I got a great deal.
    What was a $500 car in high school had a new market.

27. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

It's the dreaded Covid's fault!
    Nobody can drive anywhere so why have multiples?
    I sold three last year and if this stuff sticks around, four more are going.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  28. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

In these crazy times, there are many ways to look at the situation. The old story of the old guy leaving everyone a ton of old cars is a story we have all heard. Then the family has a valuation sale they want to get out of the hot rod/custom. So, they hang on until someone comes up with the sale price or the remaining family lowers the total. It has played out many times over the years. Now, with the pandemic, the loss of daily/weekly income has played a part in hot rods being for sale. (Whatever the price, high or low.)

The high dollar collectors can’t see the enjoyment of daily driving and/or just going for short errands in a cool hot rod. To them, it is the challenge to spend money for the classic that no one has, too valuable to them for daily driving, so they sit in the home garages just to wipe off the dust or possibly fire it up. Sometimes, they sit in huge warehouses or multiple car space facilities with the knowledge of someone taking care of them. Some end up in museums as a tribute to the owner or builder.

Jnaki

But, for the most of us, not going on vacations, buying big time items other than replacement appliances or whole house heaters, etc makes up most of the expenditures during this pandemic. So, overall, less is being spent and more is being saved. We have always wanted another hot rod since our early days. But, as mentioned before, family matters took precedence over anything else. The desire was there, the time and place, just not the right time. Has it ever been? Well, with the pandemic, for those that are locked in place and not venturing out as much, it is the normal monthly expenses without extras. That tends to build up over the 9-10 months of staying safe. If the desire is there, the money will be piling up over time.

So, the market will dictate what costs will be, but the individual builder/owner will raise or lower the cost as per his/her situation. Fast sale, lower price. High dollar sale, might last for months, as we have seen in the HAMB ad pages. But, there are hot rods out there that have a fairly decent price for the amount of work and good parts that went into the build. The choice is daunting, as the cash piles up.

upload_2021-1-29_5-13-18.png A Candy Apple Red version of a classic 1940 Ford 2 door sedan… ?

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

A lot does indeed depend on what you're looking for. And since the OP is looking for a Tri Five Chevy, they've been over inflated for many years. Nothing new about high prices on a Tri Five. And so much so that finding a solid 2 door sedan or hdtp. is going to cost outrageous prices. Heck, even a rust bucket that's all there will cost too much since many guys can't shell out for a decent project car in one bite. So they turn to something they can afford thinking they'll peck away at it as money becomes available.
    I see stuff I wouldn't even consider taking on going for around $6000-$10,000 and needing a fair amount of rust repair, simply because it's a 2 door Tri Five.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  30. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Hey that politics! But wait it affects the entire future of our hobby! Oh I’m confused.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app