Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Tom Senter Mail Call

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Tom Senter Mail Call

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

302GMC, Jet96, Petejoe and 12 others like this.
  2. Barefoot and beer drinking son. :D

Very cool pic!

3. Cool Ardun

Joe Blow likes this.
  4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha! Man you probably get a lot of tech suggestions. But if you know, you know, some of us think posting pics here is pretty damn simple.
    Oh yes, cool pic.

Jet96, bchctybob, HEMI32 and 2 others like this.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I get a few emails from people that are very "internet savvy", but to be honest... I don't get them all that much. And it's not a bother at all... Different strokes for different folks...

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for sharing - must admit that Tom Senter was not on the top of my list of car guys to remember - I accept the staged pic as long as we get to see his very Cool ride - plus, Family is very important too

Joe Blow likes this.
  7. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

He did a 3 part Whitepaper article on Arduns in Rod and Custom magazine. 2 parts were in the magazine then they went belly up - so the last part ended up in one of the Peterson Yearbooks.
    The man knew about Ardun stuff!

8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's really interesting. I recall, in the late 60s, early 70s the magazines (R&C, St. Rodder) would mention Tom Senter quite often...but never really TALKED about him. He was sort of this mysterious Engine Guru/Racer/Hot Rodder that appeared to stay in the background, but that everyone looked up to. It sort of created this Tom Senter Mystique that (at least to me) made him one of Hot Rodding's Heroes

9. alchemy

alchemy

kyle.jpg

Pretty well-known car still. Been owned by Dennis Kyle for many years, sans Ardun.

I've got the TRJ poster hanging inside my garage.

Greg Stokes, grumpy32, Jet96 and 14 others like this.
  10. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

I believe that the Tom Senter built Ardun is currently owned by Dave Simard, who runs East Coast Customs, just outside of the Boston area. From what I have heard the engine is on display in his showroom and hasn't made it's way into a car yet.

I have read Tom Senter's the "White Papers"many times over in Rod & Custom magazine. The white papers were written in a 3 part series in Rod & Custom magazine, all about the buildup of his Ardun engine. He certainly had a flair for writing as well as being a custom engine builder. It's really too bad he passed away at such a young age.

warbird1 and Joe Blow like this.
  11. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Tom road shotgun with Jake in the Niecamp roadster when they drove cross country to the Nats. Great read in Rod &Custom magazine.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

A lot of people don't realize that Tom was just 40 years old when he passed. An abundance of exceptional work for such a short life span. The White Papers were incredible.

13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

One of my favorite road trip stories of all time. Tom really lived it.

14. It sounds like Tom Senter was a guy who could of figured out how to post a photo, though. LOL
    Around here we stash digital photos in digital folders. I don't know if that's "conventional" but I'm pretty sure it's the "traditional" way. :rolleyes:

15. Wonder if he's related to Louis Senter, of Ansen and racing fame?

16. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Yes indeed, Tom Senter is the son of Lou Senter, who has many early speed related automotive achievements. Lou Senter started one of the first speed shops in the LA area ( Senter Engineering/ Speed Shop) along with a long list of other automotive firsts. Lou Senter partnered with Jack Andrews to create Ansen Automotive, which is well known to everyone on here. Tom Senter was born into the business as they say.

17. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Hot Rods & Family.

That says it all.

18. deucemac

deucemac

Tom set a high watermark with his Ardun White papers. I had the pleasure of meeting him not long before he passed. He was working for Ford at the time. Quite a guy, loved his dad Louie too.

stillrunners likes this.
  19. silent rick

silent rick

conventions are fun. i try to make to the national association of assholes every year

J. A. Miller and bchctybob like this.
  20. He left us way too soon...

21. 31Apickup

31Apickup

That is incorrect, his father was John H. Senter, accomplished art director and production designer. There’s another older thread with his bio.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I like it better as a Bonneville car
    It would be cool to replicate its looks,, maybe the Fergusons will 'lend' me an ARDUN
    haha

jimmy six and Tman like this.
  23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Tom Senter. Their are a few names of people who did alot for Hot Rodding that you never here of. Tom is one of them. The Ardun he built in his chassis was a work of art. The motor is a milestone in it self. Owned by Dave Simard. Another person who deserves more credit. I `ll look for the pic as it appeared in an off breed magazine.

rod1 likes this.
  24. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Well everyone, it looks like I was wrong. Tom Senter is not Lou Senter's son as I had previously stated. I remember reading an issue of Rod & Custom or it could have been Hot Rod, a few years ago that Lou Senter and Tom Senter were father and son. The magazine article started out saying "Tom Senter, son of Lou Senter" etc. etc. This led me to believe these two were father and son. I have done some research and found this is not the case at all. I would literally have to go through hundreds of magazines to find that article again and I am not going to do that.

You know, it's January, it's cold outside, there's a pandemic going on, there are no places to go to, no people to see, so this gives me a perfect opportunity to do some research. First I did a search on Lou Senter. He had only one child, a daughter Marsha, so right away I knew that Lou Senter and Tom Senter were not father and son. Next, I checked the HAMB archives and found the one and only post by Tom Senter's cousin, who stated that John H. Senter was Tom Senter's father. John H. Senter was an art director and production designer. Many thanks to 31A pickup for pointing out my mistake.

So there you have it. All the correct information is now stated. My sincere apologies to everyone here on the HAMB for previously posting the wrong information. I am glad I was given the opportunity to set things right again.

25. AmishMike

AmishMike

Love the car... How about the steel rims & poverty hubcaps. Love it

Jet96 likes this.
  26. primed34

primed34

Check out some mid- 70's 1001 Custom and Rod Ideas magazines to read more of Tom Senter's work. He was the editor at one time.

stillrunners likes this.
  27. vinfab

vinfab

here is Tom's Ardun s-l400.jpg

28. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At 12 years old,I remember reading Tom's work,and thinking: This guy knows a Lot more than most guys...I'm 60 now ,and still thinks the same thing.

29. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

RJ.jpg
    Here's the Rodder's Journal cover Steve Coonan did. Tom Senter's Ardun. Owned by Dave Simard.

J.Ukrop and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Tom was a unique guy, a total pure hot rodder. He liked real performance in any form, had prewar toys as well as late models at the same time. I was a subscriber to Popular Hot Rodding when he was editor in the early 80's. His writing style was much like David Frieburger and Pat Ganahl, very relatable to the every man. Tom put a good deal of psychology into writing. His editorial columns still resonate today. I remember a guy writing in to the tech column saying he wanted to buy a nitrous kit for his hot rod, but his girlfriend wouldn't let him, and he wanted Tom's advice on an alternative path to power. Tom's reply was epic, "I say go buy the nitrous system, AND get a new girlfriend!"