Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Has the market gone crazy ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Jan 24, 2021.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ Same around here--shops are booked many months out and the rates are $100 plus. Decent well done cars seem to still bring good money. A 40 standard coupe we built some years back just sold in upper $60's and rather quickly as well. Maybe not as many as in years past but they are out there and still buying/building.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Should have kept the 64 Merc drop top and added on to the garage! Would have increase the value of the house and you would still have a very cool car. That convert would have made a nice garage companion to my 51 Merc and my 64 marauder hardtop! lol Most folks around my area trying to sell can't seem to find anyone willing to even look let alone ask how much. The market has been pretty soft. Asking prices do not mean anything if no one is buying. I am retiring soon and hope to enjoy my stuff for a few more years . Larry

VANDENPLAS and ffr1222k like this.
  3. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every time I think THIS has got to be it...the market "tipping point", prices just get stupider:eek:

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Doesn’t matter what the market is doing, if I’m selling, my stuff isn’t worth junk price. If I’m buying, everything is gold asshole priced.

5. Lots of high end stuff up for sale in Alberta over the last couple.of weeks as well. I was just commenting to my wife about it the other night.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. 29moonshine

29moonshine

a lot of collectors are getting older and selling off there collections the auction in south fl just sold a complete collection of nice cars

31hotrodguy likes this.
  7. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

If you think car prices are crazy, go to a Gun Shop/Show and price ammunition!!!

Tacson, tractorguy, wraymen and 11 others like this.
  8. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Putting money in a Bank is pretty much worthless, money in land ,stocks ,gold and silver if you want to Make money

9. I'm a wait until the bottom drops out kinda guy...........

wile e-1.jpg

charleyw, 31hotrodguy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. rusty valley

rusty valley

i have always thought the guys who pay someone to build the car, a fancy jillion dollar build by god himself, then think someone else will pay that drives the asking price up for the other hillbillys that see that price...and say "heck, i got one of those". i know this is not what mr vandanplas was referring to, but its all related. i see parts on ebay that are 5 times what they are worth. it all boils down to asking and getting are two different things. usually, when i sell, i want it gone. i am not going to fight for a few hundred bucks as i most likely made a little already, so when the guy with the cash shows up without 27 text msgs , a phone call gets it

11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Entry level 3 window C7C1F2B4-8DB2-493D-8D00-A2D60E004C88.png

Nailhead A-V8 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  12. Jacob Foster

Jacob Foster

I grew up hearing my Grandfather talk about the old days. One thing i remember he said all the time was that alot of guy have gotten out of hand investing money in these cars. High dollar paint jobs and now they trailer them. He said in the 50s and 60s that it was all about having fun. Guys didn't have a ton of money but they did what they could to build and customize their cars and DRIVE them. Now today some of these rat rods are ugly ill admit, but some of them are pretty cool and at least these guys are still having fun and aren't worried about driving them and beating on them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

CornfieldPerformance and bob b. like this.
  13. So, I want to keep things straight in my mind.

If a person has lots of money and pays someone big dollars to build a masterpiece (or has the ability himself to build one), he can't be having fun?

The people who flip cars are causing the "market to go crazy"..really..how?

They study/know the market to recognize a "good deal" when one presents itself, have the means to jump on it, have the ability to recognize what is required to place it back (after some improvements) into the market, put themselves at a risk financially, and put up with the BS from prospective buyers.

When a sale is completed there is a willing buyer, and a willing seller, I'm pretty sure their are no guns held to any ones head.

One thing I've found to be traditional and true is there is jealousy here, and throughout hobby.

tractorguy, TomT, RJP and 6 others like this.
  14. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Just based on the ads that I see on this site, it seems like the better deals or the most reasonable price vehicles are now on the west coast. If I were in the market I would review the vehicles listed on Craig's List. for a vehicle that needs work. Many of the vehicles listed on this site have a lot of money in them, good and bad money and the price of the vehicle shows. We have many flippers on this site that have increase the market price of normal vehicles. I cannot understand why anyone would pay over $10,000.00 for a 4 door station wagon, but that is just me, everyone has their limits based upon their wants, needs, and desires.

31hotrodguy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nobody has mentioned inflation. Stuff just costs more today. Have you priced a candy bar lately? Compare that to the 10-25 cents you paid as a kid.

If you are living in the past, thinking a dollar is worth what it was worth when you were younger, find one of the inflation calculators on the internet and plug yesterday's dollars in and see what it equals today. It is expensive to buy new cars, restore old cars and buy homes. Thats just the way it is.

16. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing you can most certainly count on is Ebb and Flow.

VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. ..........The price of tires has gone up.........due to inflation!:D;).....Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. Just trying to keep it light.:)

18. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AND BATTTERIES!

VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.

19. as with everything in the hamb, it gets fuzzy and convoluted.
    I’m not pointing you out as being wrong, but quoted your post as it summarizes what has been said throughout this thread.

it’s not that prices in my area have gone up straight across the board on everything from a parts car to a 4 door beater.

but a big influx of nicely done high end classic cars and rods etc.

tjay is what has me scratching my head as usually, the “ Really nice high end cars “ are one add in 15-20. But now it seems it’s every other add is a perfect restoration or classic done right up with all the right parts commanding high money ( that it deserves ) as it’s a well built car.

tjat is what as me thinking is there something more going on here. Then just regular market fluctuations.

I know years ago when American pickers and that restoration show came on folks were asking stupid money for any rusted out sign or coke products or and shitty barn find.

tjat is not the case now, but truly high end stuff and a lot of it seems to be floooding the market.

40FORDPU likes this.
  20. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

I don't know if I should jump in this. I think we should think first about what the next four years are going to bring. I have a few bucks in the market and I'm thinking will it be there tomorrow? Or should I
    do some home improvements?

tractorguy, egads, Kan Kustom and 2 others like this.
  21. wicarnut

wicarnut

This subject is coming up often in recent years. Supply and demand control pricing on most everything through the years. The housing market is booming in most areas due to the low interest financing available, it's a sellers market and everyone needs a place to live. Our car hobby enjoyed an upward trend for 30 years+ and driven by us baby boomers which are now aging out, I've lived it and I am aging out, that's why my last HAMB car is for sale, I will drive my OT later model hobby cars as time is flying by I plan to keep one till my expiration date. IMO this is why there's many deals on hobby cars, many more cars for sale than buyers, the next generations of old car hobby guys are going to enjoy bargains galore as unlike housing, not everybody needs a old hobby car. AS an observation the 60's 70's muscle cars are enjoying a booming market, I don't see any giveaway pricing in that area, I don't believe it's at the Barrett Jackson insanity it's been in past, IMO the hobby car market is trending in that area, our beloved car hobby is still strong, I'm sure many of us wish time would stand still or maybe back up some, but changing times/generations. Everything changes with time, the car hobby has served me well, no regrets/memories priceless.

22. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Wise words

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

wicarnut and VANDENPLAS like this.
  23. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

And this what makes me shake my head and chuckle about comments posted on the H.A.M.B. Asking 16K for this Project, and you have guys saying in the 32 5 window for sale post that it was only worth 20-30K. Now I'm adult enough to realize that the Project car will probably be sold at a lower price, BUT, how much money is it going to take to get it to the level of the of the 5 Window??

clem and nochop like this.
  24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yeah, I can't believe nobody wants it. I am not making 5 bucks on it either. I even offered to throw in Von Dutch's power drill that I paid 3 grand for at auction. I wouldn't even be selling it if I hadn't found something else I wanted and am out of room... The upholstery in this truck would cost today what I am asking for the whole truck... I don't get it. Maybe survivors are out of style....
    mcfall.jpg

25. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

No doubt it's a beautiful truck at a very good price, but to me it would be hard to use it as a Daily Driver. I feel (IMHO) that people looking for a Daily, like myself, would be more into a plain jane easy to repair vehicle. For a weekend driver and party at Hooters your truck is perfect!.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  26. @Moriarity I love that truck , and would frame and hang that drill on my wall.

Could it be the guys with money and these cool cars are trying to cash out due to what ever factor we want to surmise and speculate on.
    So now the market is flooded with quality high buck rides and it’s now a buyers market.

I would love to drop 40-50 grand and buy the car if my dreams, but that’s simply not in the cards right now. 10 or there about s will still get me something I will be grinning from ear to ear with . I think once this”pandemic” is truly behind us and the government handout and uncertainty is gone there will be an economic adjustment. Thinking the folks with big money already see it coming.

I know in’08 working at Jaguar a year earlier we saw a lot of “heavy hitters” walking away from there leases or buying them out , we knew something was happing but didn’t know what until the economy shit the bed. I’m thinking something like this is coming down the pipe. Hope im wrong.

BORN 2L8 likes this.
  27. . . . But if you need a new battery and you're short of cash, you can always CHARGE it!
    :rolleyes:

X-cpe, clem, Budget36 and 3 others like this.
  28. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'll have to excuse Don...he appears to be one fog light short of a full set:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

30. There's still interest, this guy I know is in his 40's and just bought this for 13K. He has an Art Morrison frame on order for it. Ted's 34.JPG

rockable, 31hotrodguy and VANDENPLAS like this.