Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***January 2021 Banger Meet Thread - Good Riddance 2020!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jan 1, 2021.

1. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

and does the plate on the header do anything except look spiffy?

2. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Keeps you from scorching your fore arms when you add a 1/2 turn to the header bolts.

Jet96 and s.e.charles like this.
  3. Genes12320

Genes12320

I will let you know in a week.

4. Genes12320

Genes12320

It keeps my dumb ass from leaning on it and burning my hand, like I did at TROG. It also covers the discolored area from when the timing was off.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Jet96 likes this.
  5. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Nothing blew away. I am surprised nothing did. it was crazy windy. at least there was no snow to go with it. However we desperately need the moisture. Is that RPU you picked up the one Joe had?

6. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

@Binger -Glad to hear it...Yes I got that red/orange one Joe had.

winduptoy and Binger like this.
  7. Any hints, advice, do's or don’ts to mounting a Lion 3 head to a B engine.
    Engine will be standard except for downdraft carb,distributor, intake and headers.
    Thanks.

Genes12320 likes this.
  8. two coupes

two coupes

My Graham supercharged 1929 roadster.

IMG_3045.JPG IMG_3047.JPG

9. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

That is great! what are your plans for it? If I remember he told me a pretty good price and it made me want to get it. But I dont fit into RPUs very well.

Jet96 likes this.
  10. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Yeah they're definitely not made for giants like yourself lol- I haven't completely decided yet, it's got a pretty good banger in it so I'll leave that for now and get it driving good then make a plan. Possibilities are endless...

winduptoy and Binger like this.
  11. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Still on this side of the dirt....

This China flu crap has my day job crazy
    Not a hole lot of time for the fun stuff.

My car hasn’t been started in over 3 years now... I need to fix that

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

modelacrazy, guitarguy, burl and 3 others like this.
  12. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plug the steam holes in the block. B head gasket but I think Yapp tells you that.

13. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to hear you are OK
    Now haven't heard from @RussTee in awhile

14. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. two coupes

two coupes

I have filter and a Carter electric fuelpump hidden behind the firewall.

16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does anyone make a distributor boot for an original “B” distributor with the tapered posts to accept more than a 6mm 15/64 lead , preferably 8mm 5/16 .We have to make our own longer leads to suit the Cragar OHV. I have an FS distributor with straight posts but at present trying to keep it period with points. Any thoughts on distributor choice welcome.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

https://brillman.com/

fourd likes this.
  18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hey everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm building a 'banger-powered 1930 Model A roadster in my one-car garage. I got it running with the stock setup, but I'll be converting to a Stromberg/downdraft/tube header later this winter. I converted it to 12V negative ground with a FSI. I know nothing of the engine's history, although it has adjustable lifters, runs smoothly and doesn't burn oil.

I've been hanging out with some of you on my build thread, but I wanted to post on here to say hi. I'll most likely ask a bunch of questions along the line. Here's a photo of my car with my backup engine, which has been bored 0.080 over and outfitted with 0.30 undersized rod bearings and 0.30 undersize crank bearings. It was rebuilt decades ago and kept in storage. I believe it has not been fired in a long, long time. 16EB8152-6925-4E83-A260-5210DEEA320F.jpg

BCCHOPIT, Old Dawg, guitarguy and 7 others like this.
  19. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

looks like little room to accumulate unnecessary things yet still get the job at hand well done.

don't forget to take the bikes out for a spin once in a while!

Old Dawg and J.Ukrop like this.
  20. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to the banger meet @J.Ukrop. Look forward to your participation

Old Dawg and J.Ukrop like this.
  21. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Welcome to the Banger meet. I have been lurking on your build thread and I love how the project is coming along!

22. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

I dig those headers!

BCCHOPIT, Old Dawg, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  23. Nice to finally see you posting here! If you end up selling all the mechanical brake stuff, lemme know.

24. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very First fire up , obviously needs some adjustments ,tappets , mixtures ,timing etc but just running the cam in ,but its been a long gestation . My engine guys cheap oil gauge is very slow to respond. A few minor leaks to attend to. No rear main leak as yet , we fitted a 48 era Willy’s jeep rear main seal , nope would not tackle that task again, fabricating two half sets to retain the seal . Full pressure clip in bearings, scat crank ,crower rods, Chrysler 440 oil pressure relief and filter, 348 BBC pistons, crower rods, Serr head with original cragar cover , though we did port the head and clean it up some and mill the surface to get towards 8 to 1 compression . Cam ground local as the US ground one had issues with lobe variance of 5 thou which was not acceptable. Our own headers . Murray Horn damper. FS ignition, twin 81 carbs. Etc Etc for some weird reason the new Serr water pump put the pulley 5/8” too far forward so that need attention on our 32 B4. We made our own thermostat housing so any future maintenance would be easy. In fact nearly everything new or not needed modifications which towards the end got quite frustrating, and parts we “thought”should fit and paid for to fit did not. 00018995-3E9F-424B-A34C-EAC038987EBE.jpeg 278AEDD5-5E74-493F-94FF-F3F2CD52C760.jpeg https://youtube.com/watch?v=WTt9_KhXRIw&feature=share

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Nominal, Star 351, Old Dawg and 9 others like this.
  25. Welp, bottom end is looking good, time to put this back together and throw it in my frame!
    IMG_1945.jpeg
    Anyone on the west coast have a 30/31 shift tower?

Old Dawg, barrnone50, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  26. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

been looking for you ! glad your ok . better start the car before you cant ......... take care

Old Dawg likes this.
  27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

there are articles on here on how to do it . i think it has to do with vent holes between #2-#3 .
    be sure to read the articles as i had one on an A but not a B

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  28. brjnelson

brjnelson

[​IMG] I haven’t mastered the cell phone app for the hamb but it’s so dang easy to put photos up.

So who’s hitting the slopes with their banger??
    Going ice racing in Febuary :)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Jet96, modelacrazy, burl and 4 others like this.
  29. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I debuted the ex-Harold Johansen b powered coupe over the weekend. It was a big push to get it registered, especially after blowing a head gasket earlier in the week.

I had 15 miles maximum of seat time prior to setting off on the 10th annual River City Coupe & Roadstrr Club Reliability Run. The car performed flawlessly, doing 120 miles in the day, over quiet challenging roads.

Having trouble loading a picture, I'll try again on my desk top computer

30. Thanks, I’m up with the vent holes now, I’ve also been reading about softening up the sharp edges in the combustion chambers so as to get rid of possible hot spots ?, I imagine that’s just feathering the edges a bit. I modified a Mallory YS701AVC distributor to my avatar car so will look for another of the same as I’m happy with that after having it curved to suit the A.
    A lot to learn yet.

Jet96 and Retson the Racer like this.