Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you ever get that exhaust smell in car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 35chevymaster, Nov 28, 2009.

1. JerryTball

JerryTball

Thanks for backup there...I grew up in UP, but in NC now, not missin that snow!

2. JerryTball

JerryTball

Well I seem to have resolved the problem with the longer exhaust, I told my guy I’ll take the hit if somebody says anything about the look on the rear end now but to tell you the truth the way the car is shaped I think the long pipes look good and the nice thing about it is the sound is incredible because he reduced a 2 1/2 or rather put a 2 1/4 onto a 2 1/2 The 2 1/2 inch pipe that had the original Tips weld it on so basically I’ve got about a foot of 2 1/4 inside a 3 inch tip gives me a little bit more back pressure and the sound I really like the sound because now I don’t hear that loud noise inside the car I’ve got the Borla crate mufflers I took off the flow masters those are just so loud and now I don’t have the smell inside anymore with the windows up or down I never had smell with the windows up. The original tips that were on the car we’re basically the same as the new ones except they didn’t stick out quite as far although they were out past the bumper but they were very sharp and if you bumped into him and cut your leg these are not sharp

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  3. big bird

big bird

...I usually blame the catalytic converter, or the dog. :)

4. JerryTball

JerryTball

Well no dog and I looked for a catalytic converter not there LOL

5. pnevells

pnevells

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve seen and talked too many 40 owners about exhaust. Some had turned downs right at the end of the body with no smell with windows open or closed. Others had pencil style tips even with the bumpers and no smell.

Since we see what appears to be a tubbed and narrowed rear end I’m guessing a whole lot of engine under the hood which may also play into this. Just cruising may of my friends also crack the air vent and force air through the cracked or completely open side windows. Just a thought for others.

7. JerryTball

JerryTball

The car originally was built for racing about 15 years ago then the big motor and that was taken out and now just a stock 350 crate motor nothing modified just a Edelbrock four barrel carburetor but the rest of the car was left as is so just a standard 350 in it I was just out riding it and it’s much better than what it was this is what it used to Look like

Attached Files:

Elcohaulic, Deuces and jimmy six like this.
  8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are not crazy...it's that vortex/turbulance and pos/neg cabin pressure.
    I had the same problem with my old Sedan Deliv. with turbulence fumes coming in the rear door.

Widows up, positive pressure inside, fine.
    Windows down, Neg.pressure inside, fume city
    Windows down, Cowl vent open, forced air poss.pressure inside, fine.

I tried longer exhaust tips...to no avail. The solution was a much better seal on the rear door.

I suggest you check/replace your trunk lid seal...AND seal up your trunk area behind your rear seat to isolate your cabin area from the trunk and any outside turbulence.

32a.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  9. JerryTball

JerryTball

Thank you for the update since I don’t have any back doors I have done weatherstripping around every door and my trunk actually sells very well but I actually added another half inch of weatherstripping around the inside of the trunk so I think that’s sealed up pretty good like I was saying today I was going for a ride and it wasn’t like it was at all before

Just Gary likes this.
  10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the reply. Did you ever crack open the cowl vent when you drove it with the tips ending at the bumper that you feel were the problem?

11. JerryTball

JerryTball

My vent leaks so I sealed up no longer use it

12. JerryTball

JerryTball

So when you opened up your vent for the positive pressure I was just thinking about this do you think if I opened up my vent windows on my drivers and passenger side might produce the same results guess I’ll try it next time I don’t have as much smell in there as I used to matter fact I really don’t smell it like before where I was getting a headache, I’m sure there’s still a little coming in but not where you can notice it enough and I would have to think with the windows down there’s enough fresh air that it wouldn’t be harmful.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not familiar with '40 vent windows, but if they will open more than 90 degrees, forcing air into the car, they would act just like a cowl vent and positively pressurize the interior.

14. JerryTball

JerryTball

It’s basically like most cars that had the little window with the latch you lift it up and you push the window out towards the door or push it forward like you’re pushing it towards the windshield and mine will definitely go 90° it’ll blow air across that Dash if I needed to. Usually there’s a bar that separates the regular drivers window from the vent that’s built into the drivers and passengers window so when you roll it down the vent is basically sitting here on its own you can open it up and there’s no separator bar there so it’s kind a like a complete piece of glass with a split

Attached Files:

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  15. It’s a hot rod, aren’t you supposed to.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

16. JerryTball

JerryTball

Yes the normal carburetor smell the light hint of the exhaust but I’m talking this was put you to sleep seriously making me sick headache and leaving A metallic taste in your mouth that’s when it’s not fun to drive equated to could’ve ended up like the police cars with their carbon dioxide issue and like I said before it only changed when I went to a different exhaust tip because I changed out the flow masters to Borla I just was looking for a different look out the back and did not realize what I had created. When you have to take a break from driving the car in that condition it’s no fun anymore I’ve got it under control now so it’s all good lesson learned

ct1932ford likes this.
  17. JerryTball

JerryTball

..... why they built this car as a dragstrip car and put a plastic circle track fuel-cell in it with the Sump‘s in the wrong place I’ll never know but I’m tired of opening up my trunk and I’m glad I don’t smoke because I probably blow myself up there’s so much gas fumes when you open the trunk so new fuel-cell next week properly installed

18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LMAO:D:D:D:D
    I do get the concept of "vent windows" ;):D. I've owned a lot of early Fords, just not a '40 Pass. (2 '40 pickups though). and wasn't sure yours would open past 90 degrees. For example, my 48 Chevy Panel Delivery would only opened about 30 degrees.

19. JerryTball

JerryTball

LOL well when you said you weren’t familiar with the vehicle but I had to explain sorry

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. JerryTball

JerryTball

On top of everything I am new to the hot rod scene, since the wife had a stroke a couple years ago I had to get rid of my motorcycles I’ve always been a biker 20+ Harley Davison‘s and she just can’t ride anymore so I figured something different and fun all my other vehicles have always been modern day kind of muscle cars mainly 2010 to 2016 mustangs cars you can’t work on, I know you can work on them but technically speaking they’re all computerized and you can do as much as you want to them I guess but But I’ve never had so much fun going out to this old car every day and doing something you actually have to use your brain and not a computer in your hands to make it run so I know what a bunch of you guys I Sound naïve and I am. But my step sons are the ones that wanted me to get one too because they’re all the hot rodders dragstrip old GTO old nova 32 Ford tear them down themselves so I’m enjoying myself starting out brand new relying on a hot rod garage around town here which is helped me out a lot because basically my car sits in the driveway when it rains I put a cover on it if it doesn’t rain it sits out there which most people would not do with an old classic or whatever, So I welcome all comments good or bad LOL

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. Greasyman

Greasyman

Why do cars like yours use individual pipes instead of a regular header? Wouldn't they benefit from the scavenging effect they'd get from a collector?

22. JerryTball

JerryTball

I apologize for my ignorance could you break that down what you’re saying a little differently I’m not quite understanding what you’re asking or saying. Plus I bought the vehicle as it was so stock 350 with hooker headers and I recently put the Borla exhaust on instead of the Flowmaster that was there.

23. pnevells

pnevells

It is a nostalgia drag car, Zoomie headers were quite common back then on injected cars, we are not out to wring every last bit of performance out of it. it still has a magneto ignition, and i like the way they look and sound

24. Greasyman

Greasyman

Sorry for the misunderstanding but that question was intended for pnevells.

25. Greasyman

Greasyman

Thanks for the response, that is a mean looking engine.

pnevells likes this.
  26. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-3-23_4-8-24.png
    Hello,

My first real car, a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery was an unusual hot rod. No one in the whole So Cal area that we cruised regularly had one on the streets. The original owner had put in 348 Chevy motor, but due to the fact that he pulled an all-nighter in the driveway painting area, his sedan delivery came out Salmon Pink instead of racer Orange/Red. That was one main reason he had it for sale on the first week of his Bixby Knolls cruising nights.

Everyone was impressed with the build, the 348 motor sounded powerful and the sedan delivery was one that no one had seen before. But, the constant inquiries and comments about the paint color and quality of the paint was overwhelming. The parking lights in the drive-in restaurant corner also added to the off color sightings. And off color jokes, too.

I was in the crossroads of wanting a surf transportation vehicle and had looked at station wagons, plus some woodies. But nothing snapped out at me as the hot rod to have for my high school daily driver. Then when I saw this Salmon Pink 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery come rolling into the drive-in restaurant parking lot, that was it. Powerful, cool looking and no one else had seen one before. But, his advertised price was too much and that was a bummer. I offered him a lower price, but he would not budge.

For the next week, I saw him at school and at the drive-in parking lot hangouts. I kept pestering him to sell the sedan delivery to me. I was the only one interested and he gave my offer some serious thought. Finally, he relented, but had a counter offer. He would keep the 348 motor, but would sell the sedan delivery with a stock Flathead motor. I jumped at the deal and it was my first hot rod for high school.

Jnaki

My friends all thought it was a blast to roll around in the back. No seat belts back then. The only thing was an odd smell that permeated the driver’s compartment when driving down the street. The sedan delivery did not burn oil, have any leaks on my mom’s pristine concrete backyard pad and did not show any leaks on the motor/trans or anywhere.

The whole bottom was spic and span as a result of a pressure washing, after driving it around. No leaks or burning of oil anywhere. No white smoke out of the exhaust, either. The mufflers were even checked for leaks… none found. It did not smoke at all, but the odor of smoke was coming from somewhere. But, it did use a lot of oil.

I realized there were plenty of small gaps in the firewall and clutch/gas pedal areas. Those got sealed up and the other minor holes also got a patch, too. My friends and dates all said the smell was less after I did the patching of holes, but there was still some odor floating around. The girls that I dated all wanted to go out in the 58 black Impala, not the sedan delivery.

I spent the next couple of weeks in the high school auto shop patching every wire hole, floorboard attachments, checked the gas tank fittings and got a new gas cap. The rear door also got a new seal and a new rubber gasket was placed around the rear door window. Each of the driver’s and passenger doors also got new rubber fittings. Now the sedan delivery was sealed pretty tight.

It must have worked as the inside was an odor free place and now, it was fun to be inside, going to all of the So Cal surf spots and to surf movies all over the cruising area. When we all arrived, we smelled nice, and there was no inkling of any exhaust or burning oil residue floating in the air or on our clothes.
    upload_2021-3-23_4-13-17.png
    (in the photo above, the long surfboards would only fit if I took out the rear door window. Then the openings would get old T-shirts and extra towels pushed in for sealing any spaces. When finished surfing, the rear window and seal went back in place.)

27. Occasional? Raw gas & oil & exhaust is the only smell inside my car! It's a hot rod isn't it?

1-2018-nsra-western-street-nationals-bakersfield-april-27th-30th-2018-04-01_23-01-14_499110.jpg

28. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ive still not got the tailgate on my 49 Chevy wagon to completely seal. The pressure and turbulence at the rear always seems to find the leak. I think its coming in the bottom of the tailgate. I also picked up a sample pack of Steele's universal extrusions to looks and try to see what fits best. Call them and you can get samples. Also, there is YouTube of how to use silly putty to help select your seal.

https://blog.steelerubber.com/how-steele-can-help-find-the-right-part-when-it-doesnt-exist/

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why fight it? Now you can enjoy the car aroma inside your home too!
    upload_2021-3-23_11-16-0.png
    Either raw fuel or a nice exhaust scent for special occasions.
    upload_2021-3-23_11-18-11.png

willys36 likes this.