Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Look what followed me home today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Deuces

Deuces

Your a cam and 12:1 pistons away from an L-88.... ;)

racer-x, loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  2. Anyways NICE find.. You got the engine you wanted USE IT !

3. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pffft... Matching number's...
    Unless you have the Corvette that those numbers match, they don't mean Shit! What you have is a bullet proof combination of factory assembled parts that will prove to be more fun than most people will ever know! I would like to see you deck the numbers off and watch all the purists start grabbing their chests in agonizing pain, Lol! That's just me though, I'm a dick like that...
    Good on you for making YOUR dreams come true! Build it your way and have a blast!!!

4. The purists are in for a shock this coming Saturday. more on that in a few days.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  5. That's the way a-ha a-ha I like it!

racer-x and Deuces like this.
  6. Big block, 4 speed!
    Screw the modern transmission. I hope you beat on it like a rented mule, I mean 'Vette!

7. Deuces

Deuces

8. The only reason for the od trans is my wife and I plan on doing some traveling with the car. A vintage camper restoration is in the planning stages. I'm thinking about a small canned ham style camper. The combination would be used to tour the country. This camper plan is the reason I added disc brakes up front and considering using the factory three carb set up. Cruising on the freeway would be alot easier. I would also get better milage. I'm far away from that day so I have time to change things along the way. Don't take me wrong with the camper stuff. Reving the engine and sidestepping the clutch will still be the main focus of this car. Its just on occasion going to do double duty.

9. Wow. Rectangular port, open chambers. Nice.

Deuces, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  10. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahaha, clean as a whistle. I said it before, that´s great find. I understand why all and everyone is trying to get it out of your way. But I can not understand why anybody would be offended . It´s yours. Period.

11. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NICE!!! I suppose, for your next trick, you're gonna whip out a NOS L-88 cam too, huh... LOL!!! :D

Deuces, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  12. Those are the rare factory open chamber aluminum snow flake heads. They are fresh rebuilt with no broken stands or welding. They should look good on the 427. Not only do they save around 80 lbs. The open chamber drops the compression ratio down to a street friendly 10.5
    The aluminum is worth a additional drop in compression by a full point. I won't sell the steel heads because its a numbers matching engine.
    Back in the 60s if you wanted to be the top dog you went to the dealer and bought a crate engine and these heads. While rare guys were on the street with these heads taking their car to a whole new performance level. Putting a three barrel on the tm-2 manifold would make it all 60s street racer correct. With a proper roller cam installed it should make a honest 600 hp.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Put longer reach screw in rocker studs. It will save the rocker stud boss.

enloe, bchctybob, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Brian
    Compared to what you're used to that's going to feel like a rental car!

15. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, those heads work just fine.

gasket01.jpg

16. They're not mine; but still put a grin on my face!

enloe, bchctybob, Tickety Boo and 4 others like this.
  17. The trouble with the 'numbers matching' Corvette guys is they think they own Ferraris....

I totally get where you're coming from.

18. Wow , racer-x that's a find , wish it was mine !
    When I worked at a Chevy dealership back in 69 a customer had a new 69 Vette 427 435 horse . I got to tune it and road test . Within 2 blocks I had it up to 90 that one one of the fastest Vettes we ever sold . The sound from the sidepipes I will never forget !

19. I have heard putting in the longer screw in studs helps. They are already in these heads. The rockers have the L stamped into them making them the long slot rockers.
    A cool summers brothers timing cover that put the distributor up front would really be cool. They are out there.

20. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They look like they've been hogged on a little too...
    You're building my dream engine!

enloe and loudbang like this.
  21. 392

Very nice find.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Deuces

Deuces

That's what I would do.....;):)
    Problem is I'd be waking up the neighbors every morning at 5 a.m. to go to work....:D:confused:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  23. Budget36

Budget36

I get it, don’t get me wrong. I assume you did see my reply earlier? But my thought was a bit different. All good. Have a dream and make it a reality.

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  24. AmishMike

AmishMike

Who checks numbers in a chev hot rod? I say sell it for big bucks & buy an alUmimum 502

25. One of the downsides to social media is other peoples opinions.. I understand that there are legitimate reasons to express your opinion about someone else's situation, like a safety or legal concern, but too often it goes past that with their opinion. I totally understand the reasons and emotions involved with keeping This engine and not 'upgrading' it. That's not what you want.
    Since I was a kid I have always wanted a roots style blower on my truck. I know they aren't the most efficient power adder in these modern times, but I don't care, I want a 6-71 on it. I have one on the shelf now and just need to get the truck ready to accept it.
    My FIL just bought his dream car last summer, factory 396 4spd Chevelle. The engine is making some noise and we have talked about what if it needed rebuilt. These days you can build a big inch BBC for the same as a 396. He has decided if it needs rebuilt, it will stay 396, just because that's the way he wants it.

26. Never saw a corvette that I wouldn't ruin...

I bet the corvette that atomic bomb of an engine came out of was wrapped around a telephone pole in 1982, by some dude named Daryll, with Farah Fawcett hair and 7 empties tossed in the back seat. That engine belongs in anything but a corvette. Those assholes had their chance and Daryll ruined it for em. Fuck em.

27. Deuces

Deuces

WoW! Harsh words.... :confused::rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  28. By posting on social media I'm letting all the guys know I'm no longer looking for a 427. I have had the word out for a long time. The other reason for posting was to get guys to show pics of these engines with their vintage speed equipment. I want to see pics of cool parts and engines set up the way they were. Rest assured guys this engine is staying with me until I die. The estate can then decide if its going to a restorer.

enloe, chryslerfan55, Baumi and 4 others like this.