Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Be Careful How You Ship Your Parts!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Jan 19, 2021.

1. cfmvw

cfmvw

The USPS here is really weird. I am on a dirt road that runs through a conservation area, and the only house out here. When I built my house, I updated my mailing address and set my mailbox at the end of the driveway. Two weeks go by with no mail, so I finally called them to ask where my mail was. The mail truck goes by my house every day to get to another road, but they told me that they don't deliver mail out this far. When I asked them why they didn't leave a note to contact them, they repeated the same excuse, even after I repeated that they drive past my house every day. After going around in circles with them, I uprooted my mailbox and took it down the road and put it next to the neighbors box. UPS and FedEx have no issues, and funnily enough, USPS actually delivered a package to my house (on Sunday!) instead of leaving a pickup note in my mailbox. Go figure.

2. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I've had some issues with USPS, but they usually straighten it out over time.
    My biggest problem is the SELLER not packing the item very good. I bought a used QJet Carb and it arrived in a thrashed box with hardly any packing and a big hole in the side of the box. I always pack anything I sell like I would like to being shipped to me. When in doubt --> over pack it.

KevKo, partsdawg and wraymen like this.
  3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went to a facility in Greensboro today and, against policy, an employee tried to help me. She gave me a sheet that she printed out that tracked the package to another Greensboro facility. The printed sheet showed the tracking number and my address, which I gave to someone at the call center yesterday. It showed that the package was scanned at 19:29 YESTERDAY, which was about an hour after I spoke with the call center. At this point, they know where it is supposed to go but the online tracking system hasn't changed. I will check back tomorrow and see if it gets scanned back into delivery mode. Clearly, they are not set up to deal with thing when they don't go right.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get McM the next day if I’m before 2:00 pm.. same for Summit. McM is 20 miles and 500 from Reno.

rusty valley likes this.
  5. rusty valley

rusty valley

yup, arrived on time

6. Fordors

Fordors

I've never had a concern with paying bills online from my checking account, banks use encryption and other tech features to keep info secure. Banks have your money at heart, by design they want to protect it, they benefit from having money in their possession otherwise there is no reason for them to hold funds.
    Now paying by check, on the other hand, is a bit more sketchy. If the wrong individual gets a hold of one of your checks all the info is right there- banking institution, your name and address and account number. To me there is more exposure with a paper check than electronic payment. Naturally YMMV.

7. KenC

KenC

Red part exposes yet another issue faced by USPS. A lot of mail used to go by air. But now all airlines have severely reduced their schedules, hundreds of planes sitting in storage. So all that long haul overnight capacity is just gone. Most of it goes by truck, and most not point to point but undergoes unloading and reloading en-route. Lots of possibilities for error.

8. boutlaw

boutlaw

Some good comments. My story about redelivering a UPS package definitely was not an attempt to discredit UPS. My UPS driver is awesome and he just made a mistake that day. My oldest son worked for FedEx ground for about 4 years, very difficult job, long hours and generally no appreciation. They have to return when folks arent home for signatures, climb stairs with heavy boxes, difficult parking situations, 12 -14 hour days etc. I gained a lot of respect for all the delivery guys after my sons experience. I always meet the delivery guy when I see him/her coming, just to save them one trip to the porch. I would assume that since Amazons creation, package/parcel delivery numbers have increased dramatically. The problems we are experiencing will be dealt with, either with new carriers or modifying the current process. Regardless, Im just happy Im not ordering from Summit to ship to Australia, Europe, or even Canada, but hey, for all I know, those international deliveries may be even better than continental U.S.

9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

No offense, but there is a better chance you have no idea what you're talking about.

10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Did you get pepper sprayed? I'm sure the Fibbies will get right on that.

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Circle the name and address in ink and write "Delivered to wrong address". Same thing. Then everybody will know, especially the people who need to.

12. No offense taken, I’m sure I’ve been told that before. However I think I will continue to do it. Hell, I even hand deliver misdirected mail to that anti- social get off my lawn guy at the end of the street. Hey, we might be neighbors!;)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  13. ...I've hand delivered mail many times to a fellow about a mile from me. Miss delivered mail got so bad, we knew each others names and phone number. He called me one day and asked if his issue of Playboy had been delivered to me. I told him no, not yet, but if it does, I'll bring it to his house and I promised him none of the pages would be stuck together.:eek:

14. 5window

5window

Damn. Winter, Covid and 4 pages of complaining. Guess we have nothing better to do. :(

'51 Norm, blowby, egads and 1 other person like this.
  15. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Come August we'll complain that its too hot. And shipping costs too much. Get off my lawn!

BigDogSS, blowby, 51504bat and 2 others like this.
  16. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

I bought a present for my sister off Amazon for xmas, it shipped USPS on Dec 14th, spent most of a month in NJ.
    Showed up at my house, also on the East Coast, January 3rd.
    Also, this wasn't some big heavy item, just a winter hat.

So, yeah, I'm with you right now, if I see it's shipping Post Office, I'm running away.

-Woog

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My FedEx guy puts my wife's meds on the front porch. My UPS guy puts stuff in the carport, having to walk around my car and over whatever is laying there to get to the back door. My USPS carrier lady pulls into the driveway and puts larger items on the porch or in the edge of the carport.

My only problems are getting the stuff here. Stuff gets delayed, sometimes lost a few days. No telling how many hands have to touch items before they arrive here, so mistakes and delays happen, some avoidable, some not. Seen stuff come from CA in three days, and seen stuff come from the next state take two weeks, no rhyme or reason for it. I've been in trucking 35 years, a load on my truck gets delivered asap, usually next day. Everybody does stuff differently I guess. My priority has always been fast service in good condition which usually means repeat business.

18. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

A guy I know sold very low quality diamonds on E Pay. He would ship them in small boxes with a high insurance value, most never made it to the buyer and it didn't matter what shipper.

19. Received a small part for my Mig welder yesterday via USPS First Class Package. Ordered it on Wednesday; two days from Indiana to Washington state... guess I got lucky.

20. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I tried that and the next day I had two letters for my neighbor. I seriously doubt that the delivery person even looked in the mailbox.

wraymen likes this.
  21. Budget36

Budget36

I recall somewhere reading about Post Office Logistics, seems your mail might start heading away from you and when tracking something, you wonder why. As I remember it, it’s cheaper or less work, to send to one hub to another , than directly to you. Also depended on how much mail was going to a certain location. I thought if it like an airline flight, fill the plane, and find another airport that can get the next plane filled and get to the destination.
    Other option is pay the premium for a direct flight.
    But like everyone else, I just want what I order to get to me:)

'51 Norm likes this.
  22. 5window

5window

I bought a couple of Lorin Sorensen's Fordiana books on Ebay. (a really good price,too). Shipped Media Mail from California to rural central Pennsylvania. Took 16 days, delivered in an ice storm to my porch. I consider that okay.

23. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This package got to within a few miles of me. It was then deemed "Undeliverable", presumably because the label was damaged or smeared. It has now been sent to Atlanta to a Recovery Center, where they are authorized to open the box. Brian has filed a Search claim on it, so hopefully it will be reshipped to one of us soon.

24. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Didn't Bill Cosby do a movie about the USPS. They had everything that you had described minus the pandemic.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  25. 5window

5window

If he did, I can't find it on YouTube or Google. I suspect he is our of favor, rightly so. He was a great comedian, too bad he turned out to be creep.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  26. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I also looked for it. Can't find it. Maybe it wasn't Bill.

27. Canuck

Canuck

Try having it cross the border.
    Received a Christmas card from my cousin in Cincinnati Ohio, only took FIVE weeks to get here (I live just north of Winnipeg Manitoba about 2 hour north of Grand Forks ND). Don't know if she has received my card yet. Got to try and convince her to start using e-mail.

28. koolbeans

koolbeans

Could be Cincinnati. 11 days certified mail from Charleston SC to Cincinnati. Tracking showed 9 days in Cincinnati. Then finally.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. astep

astep
    from central ca

some of the packages I get looks like they were air mailed without the plane

Truck64 and rusty valley like this.
  30. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

Bought a part from a fellow H.A.M.B. er in N.J. Sent him the mo by mail and that took 11 days to get from Idaho to New Jersey. Only took 2 !!!! days to get the part from N.J. to Idaho via U.S.P.S.
    Makes absolutely no sense.