Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 4 barrel carb adapter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flying53gmc, Jan 23, 2021.

1. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

This is the carb adapter on my 4 barrel intake on my Gmc straight six 302. It has a Holley carb. I want to turn the carb 90 degrees to have the primaries parallel with the head and make linkage how I want it. This recessed bolt pattern is barely not square so I need a plate I can drill the recessed holes in myself. Or is there one that has the holes so I can turn the carb. Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could you weld up whichever holes you need and then redrill them?

warhorseracing likes this.
  3. Joe H

Joe H

Hardwood makes good spacers and is easy to work with.

4. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

I’ve never welded aluminum. I like that option especially as cheap as I am. I have a Henrob torch somewhere if that would get it done.

5. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Check Offenhauser. They make some odd spacer combinations.
    They had one that I needed. I needed an angled spacer that has the carburetor angled side to side. NOT front to rear like most angled spacers.
    Not only were they in their old online catalog, they had them...in stock, I bought two. This was about 6 months ago.

Otherwise, just go buy some aluminum flat stock, find a mill to use, and start hogging.

Don't try to weld on a cast spacer. It wont turn out very well.

Mike

6. Depending on much "barely not square" is; you could possibly mill the countersunk holes so they were flat on the bottom, elongate the bolt holes to match, and use button head cap screws to hold it down.

A square end (coarse) carbide burr in a drill press could do the "milling"; a router works good on aluminum, too. Probably could do it with a die grinder if careful.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    X-cpe likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

offy 5585 is the only one I see that rotates it 90 degrees, and you'd still need to use the adapter you have to get to the small intake bolt pattern.

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flying 53 is right the one he has is probably correct for the standard 4barrel. I have 6 adapters from small base to large for 6 cylinders and other small base and they all let me put the carb sideways which is the way I use them with a little work and a few are perfect with no filing. 2 of the above came on a Y Block manifold that had AFB’s on it in the normal configuration.

I’ve never had one that didn’t fit or I couldn’t make fit and I never specifically asked for an adapter to use in a sideways position. Both Offy and Clifford manifolds work the same.

Clifford lists an adapter and in their photo it shows it’s for the alignment Flying53 is looking for. The HMH was drilled by me for the small base manifold. C2B5BC27-472B-41A6-ACEC-E130643D128C.jpeg 95688824-757E-4D88-AE63-F1D34A2AD511.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  9. carbking

carbking

Attempting to weld on a cast adapter will convert something that may be usable depending on the application to something that is now junk! But try it if you wish. As someone already posted, hardwood makes good spacers/adapters.

Jon.

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flying53, I just looked on E-bay and there are a lot of 1/2” or 1” phenolic carb spacers that could be easily drilled for tapered top flathead screws or Allen’s and are all under $20.00. A cap screw with a nut instead of a stud would need to be used to hold on the carb but should not be a problem.

11. Give J-B Weld a try. Fill the holes, let them harden. Re-drill where you need them.