Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 customline

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ferdyeight, Mar 2, 2020.

1. loudbang

loudbang

What the heck is it balancing on LOL :rolleyes:

BJR and Johnboy34 like this.
  2. Its on some sort of giant concrete block. Balanced precariously..

Sent from my SM-G975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. David Palacios

David Palacios

4. Nice Ride! I just purchased a 53 customline. Its my first project car. I'm jealous of your chrome BTW, mine in heavily rusted.
    This seems to be an area for 50's Ford guys, mind if I ask some technical questions?

5. Well thank you! Feel free to ask away! There's a lot of good threads for 52-54 fords on this site, and a TON of knowledge.

6. You might also check out the 52-59 Ford social group here. @JeffB2 keeps it pretty active and lots of focused info on these cars in it.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/social-forums/1952-59-ford-social-group.282/

7. Thank Guys! The first thing I want to do is getting running as it is, stock. Is has a 6 volt positive ground system. I need to make up battery cables for it. Someone, somewhere' said a 6 volt system uses a larger gauge of cable than a 12 volt. Is this true? If so, what gauge wire do I buy? Do I need to make them up, or are they available pre-made? (I couldn't find them online).

Second I guess are my spark plug wires. I got some at advance auto, that they claim were an exact fit. Well they're not. My 215 distributor is pretty close to center of the block so the wires aren't long at all.
    She had the original plug wires still on her, they don't seem bad, but they're stiff as a board. Can I soften them up somehow and reuse them? They're cool cause they have FORD on the boots. Or is there a place that sells O.E.M. style wires?

It seems to me like there's not a lot of stuff out there for 215's. Looks they there were just produced for '53, then in '54 they switched over to a 233?

8. You may check and see if plug wires for a 49-51 would fit. Or check for plug wires for a 53 F100 instead of a car. They should be basically the same engine as far as plugs and wires go.

9. chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. Click on the link, then look at the right top of the screen where it says 'social thread tools'. Click on that, then click 'join'. Done!

11. Thank you! Its an early ford falcon console, and t bird bucket seats.

chryslerfan55, MUNDSTER and loudbang like this.
  12. Got the stereo moved to the glove box, cleaned up a bunch of wiring and found a speaker that fits in the stock location. Also got my new liner for the console from Rhino Fabrication in Bend, Oregon. Decided to put a USB charger where it won't be seen. Also found an automatic column and brake pedal assembly, so goodbye floor shift and useless clutch pedal! Should have more parts showing up soon, and be able to make big progress shortly. 20210121_180540.jpeg 20210121_180630.jpeg 20210121_180642.jpeg

MUNDSTER, brEad, 54delray and 4 others like this.
  13. New rear springs showed up today as well from Jamco. Hopefully 4 inch drop will keep it roughly the same height it is with unknown springs, and eliminate the blocks. Possibly going to get these in tomorrow if the weather permits. 20210121_194931.jpeg

14. New rear springs in. Had to keep the 2" blocks, but im hoping these settle about an inch or so. I gotta replace all the hardware again, some of the new stuff stripped out. 20210122_140850.jpeg

15. 6sally6

6sally6

UUUUHHHHHHH.....MOM......He showed a 'M-word'!!!;) J/K.....
    I have one (not pink) and I HAD a 54 (same body style) for my first car when I was in high school!!
    I wish I had tucked the front and rear bumpers in just a little closer to the body. Only thing I didn't absolutely love about my 54. Could you get the T-bird full console?! Might be more in proportion of the interior!? (just chat'in!) Really like the stance too!!
    6sally6

chryslerfan55 and Ferdyeight like this.
  16. Tucking the front bumper in 3" worked wonders for the looks of the car. As far as the console, I dont know how I would mould the full console into the dash. But it should all tie together in the end! I'm trying to remember and figure out the name of the 60s carpet that was "shiny" for lack of a better term.

17. Factory automatic brake pedal assembly and factory radio installed. I need to find the thread where the gentleman put a Bluetooth unit in one of these radios so I can get rid of the glove box radio. Also need to find a guide on rebuilding the steering column, and likely swap to power steering. But most of the parts I need to make big progress are here already. 20210128_143920.jpeg 20210128_150334.jpeg

18. And on the off chance someone needs these 3 speed pedals, DM me. Otherwise I'll put em on ebay or something. 20210128_152021.jpeg

19. loudbang

loudbang

This member @PhilA is the one who converted his radio. He is very knowledgeable on radios.

His conversion is in here somewhere LOL.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/mild-custom-51-pontiac-chieftain.1171852/page-39

chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  20. v8flat44

v8flat44

I want it...nice !

Ferdyeight and loudbang like this.
  21. Went to 3 inch blocks on top of the 4 inch springs in the rear, along with putting the skirts back on. I think it's an improvement.... and the exhaust tips just barely scrape going straight into the driveway. I'm keeping the 2 inch blocks handy in case this low static height doesn't work. 20210201_133550.jpeg 20210201_133715.jpeg 20210201_134106.jpeg

22. Looks really good! I keep thinking of putting 3” blocks in my car, but also would have to do something to keep it from bottoming out when hauling my whole family in it... I already have the driveshaft get the tunnel every now and then. :oops:

loudbang, 54delray and Ferdyeight like this.
  23. I haven't put much weight in the back yet. But I figure if it bottoms out excessively or is too low, I'll either look at air bags, air shocks, or going back to 2 inch blocks..

24. David Palacios

David Palacios

Nice thread, keep up the good work.

loudbang and Ferdyeight like this.
  25. evintho

evintho

I believe the steering column only has one bearing in it. If you're gonna rebuild your steering box, my thread below has a link in it for doing just that. Also, the EPS conversion is relatively easy to do.....
    https://www.killbillet.com/forum/th...ing-from-a-saturn-vue-into-54-ford-customline

Also, I have a question. When you sunk the bumpers into the car, how exactly did you do that? Did you shorten the width too or just leave the stock width and shorten the brackets to bring it into the car?

26. I'll have to look into those threads. When I pulled the bumpers in, I just measured from the splash pan to the back of the bumper, transferred that measurement to where the bumper brackets bolt to the frame and had the holes re drilled. In short, I just moved the brackets back to close the gap. I also had to trim the ends of the bumper off, and I have to move 1 bumper bolt on each side since it bolts to the front fender on my 53. I will get more pics this evening.