Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC in 51 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Richard Reed, Jan 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pist-and-Broke and Rocky, them are two fine looking conversions. Both cars look great.

Pist-n-Broke and 210superair like this.
  2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

What the hell is this, some kind of HAMB dick measuring contest or something?

trollst, 210superair and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  3. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I'm six foot two. :)

Blues4U likes this.
  4. I owe Richard Reed an apology for feeding into the Bull Shit Ford v Chevy crowd. I try hard not to do that because it's a never win deal when Opinion over runs a good question. Had Richard asked about installing most any Ford motor past a Flathead (he would have known that) in his 50 I would have tried to be constructive in answering that also. At 70+ I'm a very accomplished builder in all aspects of Cars in general. I've made my living at it from my Teenage years to now. If I tell someone how to do something it's generally backed up with photos and hands on work.
    If I think they are headed the wrong direction I try to explain why, not just interject my Opinion. I got way off course here and for that I'm sorry. One thing I learned here on the H.A.M.B. is no matter the subject there is always someone that's a nay sayer and Opinionated. I try to dodge them and this time I failed miserably. If I can't be constructive in any posts I just move on as 210 superair has suggested. To bad more here don't.

ffr1222k, grumpy65, Baumi and 3 others like this.
  5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Pist-n-broke, you're one of the most helpful members here on the HAMB, and the help you share is born of real experience, you don't just repeat things you've read somewhere else, these are things you've done yourself, lessons you've learned the hard way. That's what this place is all about. Thank you. Forget about the guys with personal problems, they need the kind of help you can't get on an internet forum.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    ffr1222k, trollst, Baumi and 2 others like this.
  6. One of the best hot rod combos out there. @Bass built one of my all time favorites. SBC looks like it belongs there

[​IMG][​IMG]

'49 Ford Coupe, Paul B, F-ONE and 5 others like this.
  7. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

"Those vocal Ford in a Ford guys never seem to have cars at all. Here on FB or anywhere else we never see actual photos of their cars."
    THIS is why I responded- but of course, that's DIFFERENT lol..

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

They say there is an ass for every seat.
    In this case there is a bow tie on one and a blue oval on the other.

upload_2021-1-21_12-1-4.png

williebill, Blues4U and Budget36 like this.
  9. RmK57

RmK57

I'm thinking of the warm reception I would get if I asked for tips on how to drop in a 351 Windsor into my newly acquired 55 chevy 210. People would still be pulling their hair out!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    irishsteve likes this.
  10. I would not be one of those, I'd ask what trans you going to use to help place it correctly and advise that you make sure the Left side exhaust manifold you choose works well with the Chevrolet steering box.

210superair likes this.
  11. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

The Chebbrainwashed heads would explode- but of course, that's DIFFERENT lol

safe_image.php.gif

12. The Love Toilet!

13. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

14. RmK57

RmK57

I can appreciate that, but you would be in the minority.

15. Half the fun is upsetting people.........I thought about a flattie in a 55,and pop the hood at the local cars,and coffee!

16. Ford in a Chevy isn't anything new. Russ is and has been a close personal friend most of my Adult life. He approved of my 50 Chev S.D. with the 300" Ford 6 cyl in it.
    The info below is way outdated. Lot's has changed since the print.
    MadWagoninRC1-vi.jpg

Baumi likes this.
  17. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

That's one damn fine box my friend. I'm not a flame guy, but I dig those, absolutely gorgeous.

Tman likes this.
  18. Brian @Bass doesn't post here as much anymore but builds some really great stuff

19. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I would imagine the reception you received in this thread was due to the fact that your very first post was right next door to insulting to the op, and was certainly not helpful at all.

Enough drama. Can we talk about cars gentlemen?

Blues4U and Tman like this.
  20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

One of the top builders in the country right now....

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'll just say that if I had a 55 Chevy 210 (I don't) without a killer sbc for it (I do by the way) and also happened to have a Boss 302 setting around, I could be persuaded to jump ship.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  22. Hombre

Hombre

I am just finishing up two of these swaps, both on my own cars. One is a 49 Ford Coupe and the other is a 52 Ford. Installing a Small Block Chevy in these cars is for the most part an easy deal. Motor mounts are a snap to fabricate, radiator is no problem at all, either using the Ford radiator or going after market both work just fine. The tranny and rear both will almost for sure have to be up graded, a good choice there is a 8.8 Ford rear it will need to be narrowed but only three inches and this is a very simple deal. Just use the short side axle on the long side after you shorten it the three inches a real simple thing to do. If you are going automatic tranny then a TH350 is a damn good way to go, but the 700 r works the same and does have the overdrive which you may just need with that 8.8 depending on the ratio a lot of them are geared low because those cars came with overdrive. There is one problem and that is that damn shoebox center link. It is right snap dap in the middle of the way. One suggestion has already been mentioned and that is the Chevy II front sump oil pan. Trust me that is not just that easy either. I modified my SBC rear sump pan to work, but it did cause a few hair pulling moments, even that caused problems as I had to go find someone "WITH" hair to pull it. There is a way around that damn center link and just use the stock SBC pan, but to do that you need to raise the engine up enough to clear that damn center link. That will require a little floor and transmission tunnel work but even then it's just not that big of a deal.

Now all of that is really an easy or pretty easy swap. Not a straight bolt in but not far removed from that. It is one hell of a lot easier than using any Ford engine out there other than the Flathead or straight six they came with. While SBC engine swaps are pretty boring for the most part because it has been done a zillion times to almost anything with wheels, it is a good fit for the Shoebox Fords other than that damn center link. Do my feeling for that damn center link show? Yea I hate than damn thing. At one time Hurst made a replacement center link to address this problem, it was dropped and cleared the chevy oil pan just fine. Evidently at one time this engine swap was so popular that Hurst engineered a part just for this swap. If you could find one of those Hurst center links then this would be a bolt in swap.

F-ONE, Tman and 210superair like this.
  23. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Geeze Louise! I feel like I'm in grade school... This is Hot Rods & Customs! What the heck are purists doing here? Get a grip you guys, the whole brand loyal thing is political. Nothing wrong with personal preference, just don't shove it in the guys face!
    Most of us find a body we like, use an engine we like, make it look the way we like and go out and have fun in an old car.
    Anyways... I had great luck with a $700.00 '49 Ford sedan that came with a flat 6 and 3 on the tree. I sold the engine to one guy, the trans to another, & bought a 350/350 for less than I sold the flatty for. It was no big deal fabbing mounts, fitting the SBC in the '49 and I used the radiator and rear end that was in it. That car was a blast & I drove the snot out of it.
    It's your car, do it your way and the nay-sayers can pound sand!

Tman, TrailerTrashToo and 210superair like this.
  24. Hombre; excellent account on the swap. Just so those trying are aware, in 1951 Ford went to the first Automatic trans. The floor hump is much larger in them and the T-350 and the 700-R-4 fit without cutting anything at all. The 49 and 50 is much smaller there. Also drawing the Motor as far forward as you can will help all the way around.

F-ONE and Hombre like this.
  25. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that "damn center link"... I notched the 350's oil pan. It took a couple hours. I cut the front bottom off and flipped it, welded it back in and that was it.

26. Hombre

Hombre

So a question. Did Ford use a different tunnel shape and height on the standard as opposed to the Automatic? One of my swaps the 52 is the one that gave me the most grief as I was trying a way to figure this center---- woops Damned center link-- yea that's much better, thing out. It was a standard transmission car.

F-ONE likes this.
  27. Hombre

Hombre

Jack, Yea I did something of the same thing, I just fabricated a piece for the rear of the pan. I ended up with about 5/8th of an inch clearance at all places of movement of the Damned center link. One big problem about how much you can notch the rear of the pan is the oil pump itself. It sets so low and so far back it limits how far up you can make that notch. I had to practice a lot in the fitting of the pan, in the end I finally got it to clear and to work and then I transferred those dinensons to a brand new pan for the final deal. I also liked to never get all of the little pin holes welded up, I thought that damned thing is never going to be leak proof. I hope that I never, ever have to weld up another oil pan. After doing two of the things that is enough for me. IMG_3334.JPG IMG_3338 (Small).JPG

F-ONE likes this.
  28. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Ha-ha... That's Hot Roddin'!

29. Hombre; I wish I could give you a for sure answer on the floor issue. My body book stops at 50. I doubt Henry made different floors in the same year. I know from 55 up they are all the same in all passenger cars. After saying that I know that the convertible is different being they have a full X member in the frame and the Vicky shares the same Body Tub. Good question, I'll do a little homework and see what I can come up with. You know, 51 uses a different heater unit than 49 and 50. Maybe that's why I could raise my Motor enough to clear the center link.

F-ONE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.