Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods There are no rules in building Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 19, 2021.

1. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Thanks!

2. Budget36

Budget36

Just a question, if using a SBC is being brainwashed, why is using a Olds or Hemi okay? Or do you feel it’s the same thing?

1971BB427 and 210superair like this.
  3. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Nothing wrong with using a Chebbie- in a Chebbie

4. wicarnut

wicarnut

HRP stirred the pot on this subject. Rules ? What rules you say. There has been many threads on such rules here on the HAMB, there are only a few(pre 1964)with some guidelines to keep this site on track toward traditional which that definition can change depending on your age/generation. IMO the HAMB is the best car site, Be Happy, No Worries, said Bob Marley, Good Advice.

31hotrodguy, Montana1 and 210superair like this.
  5. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...and while we're at it, your comments/opinions on the HAMB would have a lot more credibility if you filled out your "Profile"

To HAMBers you are just some anonymous, ageless FNG somewhere on earth who may (or may not) own a Shoebox Ford...(or just a picture of one).

Also, becoming an Alliance Member would be a good move too (But that goes for EVRYONE)

Just sayin';)

Lil32 and Tman like this.
  6. trollst

trollst

Well, again, I run what I can afford, to me the "look" defines the car, I care not what you use for power. A big dollar vintage engine is no more impressive than a smallblock chev is in an unfinished driver, or a detailed hamb friendly early car. What matters is the workmanship put into the car to look right, detailed mounts, detailed brackets, careful assembly, wires run properly and not strewn all over.
    My own 36 is 327-350 turbo powered, a great asset when I leave the frozen north on my way to bonneville, a couple days drive through bumfuck nowhere country, if something fails, toms parts store in big valley wherever is likely to get what I need to get there, and freds repair can come up with a transmission to help me out. Try that with your twenty grand special parts combination that you searched heaven and earth to find. Here's mine, tell me what it has for power, suspension or frame, and you'd be wrong. It's all hot rod...... DSC07687.JPG DSC07688.JPG

RJP, Fabulous50's, Chicster and 3 others like this.
  7. 34Larry

34Larry

Well there is a rule that says "if you want your hard work to be appreciated by everyone and you would like to be every bit a member of "all" hot rod society then be sure to build it traditional" or you will be banned in showing your work in some circles.:(:(:(

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    hotrodjack33 likes this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

Not what I asked, are you okay putting a Hemi into a ‘32 Ford? Or a Olds in it? Just tying to see where you are coming from.

210superair, D-Russ and Krash Vegas like this.
  9. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

No matter what you do, it won't be appreciated by everyone. We'll, maybe appreciated isn't the word, but you know what I'm saying. Everything about this hobby is subjective. Personally, I can appreciate things that don't necessarily appeal to me, but some can't.

Fabulous50's and Chicster like this.
  10. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

If you ever open a thread elsewhere on the L28 project, pm it to me please. Would like to see that....

Fingers and Tman like this.
  11. koolbeans

koolbeans

HRP....I agree and have always said every "hot rod" is an individual's automobile expression on a universal language canvass. They are all kool.
    Me breaking in and wrapping up "the last hurrah". Love hot rods and the people who create them. IMG_20200926_115215919.jpeg IMG_20200926_115313938.jpeg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

cfmvw, olscrounger, charleyw and 5 others like this.
  12. I have one rule now.. no flatheads any longer.. OHV V8's only ( SBC:D)

D-Russ likes this.
  13. Lil32

Lil32

x2

31hotrodguy and Joe Troilo like this.
  14. Thats going in our lakester turned rear engine roadster for Bonneville. A steel 27 body

flynbrian48 and 210superair like this.
  15. grumpy65

grumpy65

Nothing wrong with a Chevy in a Ford, or a Ford in a Chevy. Broadened horizons can lead to good things.......;)

16. HRP, in answer to your question...a '62 390 Caddy for my 32 Sedan.....Chrome early rocker covers, Edelbrock 4 x 2 intake, 97's with SP tops, magneto, cloth covered wires, painted original Caddy blue

302w for my 32 pickup....Edelbrock finned rocker covers, Edelbrock 3 x 2 intake with 97's, painted metallic gold.

Sent from my SM-A520F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

There are no rules when it comes to building what I want. There ARE rules if I share something here that doesn't fit the rules here. :p. So, I try not to do that, but sometimes a photo of the new Hemi sneaks in.
    No matter what one builds, there is always some "expert" ready to offer their unwanted, usually unfounded and uneducated opinion as to why that's WRONG. I try to keep in mind they're (usually) complete morons, so when they offer up their misguided critique in person, I ask 'em what they built. No one has ever rolled up later in their perfect car to show me they really do know what they're talking about.

18. goldmountain

goldmountain

Other than my silly 3 cylinder car, my only rule on engines is that they should look pretty. A dressed up SBC works, and hemi's and Arduns hit the top of the charts.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  19. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I disagree. There ARE rules!

But sometimes I like seeing them get broken. ;)

20. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

You knew independent front suspensions were off topic on when you joined.
    Your still here so it's obvious you haven't been banned.

rod1 likes this.
  21. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Here's a challenge to the thread title... Lol. This should be interesting. I must say, I've spouted off about there being no rules, but this video changed my mind...

oldiron 440 likes this.
  22. Let me start by saying at least we are having a conversation, everyone has a opinion and feel free to express yours, you might agree or disagree and that's fine what I point out is merely my observation.

Contrary to many of my fellow hambers comment's I still feel that are are no rules in building hot rods, oh to be excepted in certain circles and sites like this, there is guide lines and hard pressed I suppose they are rules.

But if you answer only to yourself and a not seeking approval from the masses you can throw any preconceived rule book out the window.

I have always liked the simple cars, since I was a kid and I followed that idea of building hot rods 18 years ago I was introduced to the Hamb and I knew I had found a place where other gays like the old styles of building hot rods and customs, I found a home, the limited RULES here on building were of little concern most were in line with what I like. HRP

loudbang and 210superair like this.
  23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_2782.JPG

I follow rules when I like them. There several broken rules here: Fiberglass body, wood braced, two pedals, and coil overs at the rear. The body was practically free, I don’t like shifting, and my buggy sprung ‘34 rode awful.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

fegsta, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  24. The dude that built this didn't like rules either ;) Brookville is just waay overpriced, i'll build my own!

[​IMG]

25. Not rules, what you mentioned are more like preferences. Plus, you have taste and style. That is a classic looking roadster

31hotrodguy and flynbrian48 like this.
  26. cfmvw

cfmvw

My only hard-and-fast rule is to do it right. We've all seen some pretty sketchy work that ranges from scary to downright dangerous. I once saw a '32 Ford that was cobbled together with some very poor workmanship: poor welding, bad fitment, lamp cord wiring - they even used masking tape instead of electrical tape, a real showcase of how NOT to do something. Even my son, who was probably ten or so at the time, recognized that it wasn't safe to drive! Couldn't believe someone put an inspection sticker on that one...

27. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I follow no ones rules but my own, but I do like to put big motors in stuff....And, I like black. And big tires in the back.

33enginedone.jpg

done331.jpg

-Abone.

28. Bjorn Wilsson

Bjorn Wilsson

Many builders- many ideas, I have ideas too. My 40 dlx coupe will have ford sb Aod automatic (I only have two feets- one for throttle and one for brakes.) Cant run 3 pedals:). I'll build with parts that I like 60 Tbird steering wheel n column, bucket seat for comfort, crome wire wheel independent front suspension, 8 inch With fourlink in the rear and so on... Bjorn

29. X-cpe

X-cpe

And maybe some straights too. :oops::D

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  30. I disagree with the title of this thread. There is one cardinal rule etched in granite; If you don't daydream about and love your car unconditionally, forsaking all others, you have the wrong car.