Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Have you pulled a straight drive transmission and replaced it with a automatic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Or vise versa?

When I was building the old beater it was a given that a automatic transmission would be used, leg room was a consideration but factor in a accident on a motor cycle more than 47 years ago left me with limited travel ensuring a automatic transmission would be the best choice. HRP

Elcohaulic and dana barlow like this.
  2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Haven't pulled one to swap to the other, but I did swap in my first OD trans in a hotrod on my '39 Chev build. I had planned to use this 700R4 in my '69 Suburban, and replace the TH400. But I figured it might not be as strong for towing, so it got pushed into the corner. Then a few years later I started my '39 Chev build, and decided I wanted a car I could hit the highway with and travel cross country with a little better mileage. So the 700R4 is in my '39 Chev now.
    It's turned out to be an excellent choice as even with a pretty well built SBC 350, and 3.73 gears, it still gets 18 mpg on the open highway at 70 mph.

rod1, Blues4U and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

When I bought mine it already had an automatic thrown in, which I didn't love at the time, but I quite like it now I must admit. And it definitely cruises along at highway speed very nicely. My plan was eventually to swap out the auto, but I think it will stay and my next car I will make more exactly what I want.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was in HS my '65 Falcon 2 dr. wagon had an automatic. My buddy wrecked his '64 Comet with a 3 speed full syncro trans. I bought the complete wreck for $185.00 and proceeded to make the swap. I was a dumb know everything 17 year old and I just assumed it was a simple bolt in job. Luckily it pretty much was. Installing the under dash clutch pedal spring damn near killed me but I was finally able to get it without loosing a finger or an eye. The only real issue was I used the driveshaft from the automatic which seemed to fit fine but little did I know the output spline on the auto was different from the 3 speed. Got everything buttoned up and went to back up and nothing but a grinding sound. Car didn't move. Finally an old mechanic told me about the spline differences. Changed the front yoke and all was good.

LWEL9226 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. 2935ford

2935ford

During my Tri 5 days all but one was automatic. Since then all my Hot Rods until my '19 Dort and '28 Tudor were top loaders. Currently, I have one of each and I appreciate both.

210superair and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

7. larry k

larry k

You can turn in your man card ,,and your hotrodder card ,,at the desk when you leave today !!! .

HOTRODPRIMER and mkubacak like this.
  8. sdluck

sdluck

I took the turbo 350 out of my Model A with a small block Chevy and put in a T-10 4-speed for the hydraulic clutch

Sent from my SM-J737T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. If I'm going to do that amount of work, it won't be to install a slushbox... :eek:

10. Turnipseed

Turnipseed

I went the other way with my '64 Chevelle convertible years ago. Took the Turbo 350 out and replaced it with a Saginaw 4 speed. Swapped the trans, flywheel, converter, and shifter to a friend for the transmission, flywheel and 4 speed shifter. I had to buy the clutch pedal and linkage. It wasn't hard to do at all and I really enjoyed the 4 speed. I never had any problems with the Saginaw, but the guy I sold the car to blew it up a few weeks after he bought it. I knew wasn't a strong trans and I didn't beat on it too hard. IM000202.JPG

11. Yes, I am forced to admit that I swapped out an M-21 for a TH400 with a stage II Transgo shift kit.
    My wife is a tiny person, and in 1974, she was complaining about the combination of the manual steering and having to shift the gears. The new combination has worked well for me over the years, but I still regret having made the change.
    I have acquired the parts to change it back to a manual, but don't know if I am going to change back.
    Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Changing the 53 Chrysler from "Fluid Torque" to 4-speed. Luckily, there's a clutch pedal and linkage.

Hank37 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, my Stude came with a six and three on the tree plus OD, now it is a SBC w/700R4, I think it is quicker:) The 38 Chevy was three on the floor, now it's four on the floor, I guess not much difference:)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. Budget36

Budget36

Only when doing an engine swap. But never done it just to have an auto

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I swapped a six and 3 on the tree for a V8 automatic in a pickup truck. The original trans failed and could not find another one. Had a parts truck that was originally auto but the engine and trans were missing. Got engine and trans out of a later pickup, used the steering column with gearshift, plus pedals, from the parts truck. It was a straight bolt in swap. They were even the same color. That is the way to do it. If I didn't have the correct parts I would sooner trade the car for one with an automatic than mess around. Of course this does not apply when building a hot rod, you expect to swap in a different engine trans etc. I mean I would not bother if I wanted an automatic car I would just buy one.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

not every stick to auto swap is a bad thing. one of the reasons I drive my 61 Dodge so seldom is the non synchro 3 speed. I'd love to have an automatic in that car.

one good reason to keep your stick shift is in case you get carjacked::

17. I sincerely hope you never find yourself being handicapped in any way, at least I am driving a hot rod! HRP

18. larry k

larry k

Yes “ primer “ I understand and respect you , but I just had to say it . I am to old to change?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Being the indomitable cynic that I am , its almost as if the question was asked to preface this statement , but remember , that's cynical speculation ...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I breezed through this thread, so I didn't notice what kind of car/engine/trans you're referring to.
    Years ago (still in high school) a buddy of mine smashed his right hand and couldn't shift his 4-speed. It was a '66 Impala. We'd never done this before, but put a Turbo 350 in it in an afternoon. Flywheel, converter, trans, I don't remember if we needed a different drive shaft length... Be sure to put in a good trans cooler!
    It's not a huge deal at any rate.

210superair and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. We have a T-5 in Brenda's wagon and I can drive it, there is a lot more room for working a clutch, it has a lot to do with the seat position and I can assure you that your assumption was not my intent, I would think there are other people that choose one transmission over the other for a number of reasons.

Personally, I build my cars to suit myself. HRP

22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Two choices, 1) Take a driving lesson. Back in the day old ladies and grannies drove those things with no problem.
    2) Sell the car and buy one with an automatic
    3) If you got your first piece of ass in the back seat and it has great sentimental value find an identical car with auto in the junk yard and cabbage all the auto specific part. In your case that will include the pushbutton controls special Torqueflite carburetor with kickdown and brake pedal. Then swap the parts over. Expect to make a few trips for things you forgot like the radiator with the cooler in the bottom. Possibly the crossmember and driveshaft.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. TCATTC

TCATTC

Good for you. Do whatever it takes to stay in a hotrod. It doesn't matter at all what some think.

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have done it for other people but not for me.

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

[

I taught myself to drive in a 3 speed on the column in my first car 45 years ago. I've owned my Dodge since 1987, which was 3 on the tree number 4 for me. I just bought a daily with an automatic in December, the first automatic daily driver I have had since the 80's... I definitely do not need your advice on how to do the swap.... are you drunk or just a dick? what would make you post something so stupid?

HOTRODPRIMER, rod1 and Flat Six Fix like this.
  26. If it's got three pedals I immediately make the swap to two. Prepped Glides are my transmissions of choice. I just flat out don't want to be that engaged when I drive. I'm usually to busy thinking about some new project to worry about what gear I gotta be in.

HOTRODPRIMER and 210superair like this.
  27. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yup pulled flathead 6 and truck 4 spd for LA 318 with a 904 auto trans.
    I love this combo, but did not think I would. With 2.76 1st gear and 3.23 rear gears with a fairly light truck she launches not bad at all.
    I still have super strong legs so cant use that to justify. No more squats but heavy full range leg presses for me. I have some lower back issues as a result of lifting.
    But Im 60 so it might change someday...lol

28. clem

clem

I am not sure why anyone took this comment seriously.
    (Perhaps a couple of emojis would have helped - eg - :D - perhaps not.......)

29. larry k

larry k

“Damn” Joe you are really rough on me ! So those that live in glass house’s , shouldn’t ?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back around 1981 I traded one of my students my M-21 4 speed for his Turbo 400 out of his 71 Chevelle. He still has the Chevelle but I am not sure about the 4 speed. I put the 400 in my 48 and ran it until I pulled the 350 out. It was a lot easier to pull my 15 ft camp trailer to rod runs with the automatic.

HOTRODPRIMER and Flat Six Fix like this.