Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carter WCFB tech

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by carbking, Dec 15, 2013.

1. kilohertz

kilohertz
    from Vernon, BC

Good one Jon, :D, thanks. I don't think my flatty would be happy at 8000 RPM :(.

Thank you for the recommendation, I just found your web site and am scrolling thru the pages of info, there is lots of good info there.

I'll park the 2333 and 2354s on the shelf and move on.

Any other carbs you know of that have that small base that may be suitable? My friend has a large shelf full of used carbs for the taking, I don't mind using an adapter plate but would prefer to stay with the small base square bore.

I would consider something from you if you have the right one. you can PM me if you like.

Thank you.

Hnstray likes this.
  2. carbking

carbking

Other than looks, the adapter is not important.

What is important is airflow!

The Carter 2191s was used as original equipment on a 241 CID engine, very close to your 239.

Second choice would be the scarce and very expensive optional Rochester 4-GC used on the early 1960's GM 215 aluminum V-8. But by far the best choice would be the Carter 2191s.

If your 239 will be in a trailered racecar, there are other carbs that will work.

But if you want to drive it on the street, you need to be concerned with airflow.

Check the second line in my signature block! ;)

Of course, you could always bore the 239 .125 oversize and stroke it half an inch! ;)

Jon.

3. kilohertz

kilohertz
    from Vernon, BC

Thank you Jon. Okay, the search continues. The truck will be a summer time daily driver, no racing.

I am just starting restoration and wanted to get the engine running correctly first, which I have now done, I can keep looking for the carb and carry on with the other 658 things that need doing, like brakes, steering column, driveline etc. :rolleyes:

Cheers

dirty old man likes this.
  4. Roothawg

Roothawg

Bump for those who are researching wcfb carbs.

5. busyhornet

busyhornet

How would i set up the 56 dual WCFB SET UP with an old hydro transmission.

6. carbking

carbking

Will leave this question to the transmission experts for physical hookups.

Virtually every vehicle I have ever owned was upgraded to manual transmissions.

From the carburetors standpoint:

ALL calibrations should be enrichened by about 6~8 percent above those for a manual transmission because of the fluid coupling losses in the automatic.

Jon.

7. j grady

j grady

regarding earlier post by me and someone else with same issue —- on non return to idle stop screw — only while engine is running ( vacuum ) I found the answer after a year of hassle .
    If the return spring is not perfectly 90 degrees to carb throttle shaft it end loads the shaft axially slightly . That pushes it to one side and then one side of a butterfly grabs the throttle bore just as it approaches fully closed , hanging it open . The vacuum pull jams it tight . that raises idle intermittently , drives you crazy as nothing is wrong with carb . arrange spring to be straight parallel to engine problem is gone!
    second , is the spring under the mixture rod vacuum piston the same on all wcfb? mine is missing , 57 dodge 325 poly power pack .

8. Way to stay with and thanks for an update !

loudbang and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  9. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Collected 5x 1957 283 4bbls, some off running engines, put 3x of em on my dual intake, take throttle and deliver baseline fuel... now I can begin applying this tech info to them.

loudbang likes this.
  10. carbking

carbking

NO - several different versions.

Jon.

loudbang and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  11. 6sally6

6sally6

Hey!!...I musta missed........what does the WC stand for on WCFB?!
    thanx
    6sally6

12. carbking

carbking

Will Carter

loudbang and stillrunners like this.
  13. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wrought Cast

loudbang likes this.
  14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No one knows…

GlassThamesDoug and loudbang like this.
  15. carbking

carbking

True, the folks that named it are long gone.

However, friends in Carter Engineering and Carter Customer Service chastised me for calling it wrought cast some 40 years ago, and informed me in no uncertain terms that it was Will Carter. They also pointed out that the wrought cast iron throttle bodies did not appear until the mid-50's. The early throttle bodies were cast aluminum.

So, at least for me, it will remain Will Carter.

Jon

16. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably best found on a Print.
    Just searched.... by most to last in a quick scroll...
    Wrought Cast Four Barrel
    Will Carter Four Barrel
    Will Carter Four Bore
    White Cast Four Barrel <<<

Find the Engineering Print then we will all know. A WCFB Carter book ... beat wrought (white) cast into my head.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  17. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FOUND THIS: Yes, WILLARD CARTER was the owner of the Carter Carburettor Company, but this particular carb wasn't named after him, but for the metal it was made of. Sorry, everybody, it always has been, and always will be, directly from Carter, and yes, for the earliest Buicks and every thing else, WHITE CAST FOUR BARREL, period, end of the confusion.

loudbang, jimmy six and warbird1 like this.
  18. saltracer219

saltracer219

Just remember, if you look long enough you can find pretty much anything written in any narritive you want in print on the Internet.

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’d would have named it DGFB……”Damn Good Four Barrel” for the way my dual quads work and run…;)

20. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookung for my Carter Book. "White Cast" was the terminology, not "Wrought Cast"...
    The Print or Patent would be definitive.

I need to mark my shelf properly....WCFB is a safe play.

21. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought 5x 57 4bbls to build a dual carb 283 set up... will see if small cube motor likes em. Going 097 style cam as well.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  22. carbking

carbking

Not that it really matters that much; but the terminology "Will Carter Four Barrel" is listed on page 6 of the "Carter Carburetors" book, 1st edition, by Dave Emanuel. Supposedly, Mr. Emanual got a lot of information directly from Carter when he wrote this book.

As far as the prints are concerned:

Carburetor type is listed as WCFB-nnnS or WCFB-nnnnS where nnn or nnnn represents a 3 or 4 digit number. I do have many of the prints.

Jon.

dirty old man likes this.
  23. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you.... Dave Emanuel.. would be right on with the industry.

24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I picked up a pair of WCFB's at a swap meet, the numbers on the tag of both are 2622SA. I was told by one guy that these were for the Dodge D-500, but he couldn't say whether they were for the single or dual carb engine. I've searched the net but have not found a listing for tag numbers and corresponding applications. Can anyone clarify what these carbs were originally for? @carbking ? Anyone else?

Thanks!

Hnstray likes this.
  25. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dropped the A... this comes up.
    Did more looking, ...carb kit site noted All have a S, and .. SA, SB..and others were running engineering changes, but use same kits.
    1957-1958 Dodge Carter 2622S WCFB Carburetor *Remanufactured

26. carbking

carbking

27. 1957 D500 came up with the 2622 on one list I saw.

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  28. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plymouth, Dodge Desoto...I found the tag number. Try your search with these tags adjectives.
    Carter WCFB 4 Barrel Carburetor Carb Number: 2530S, 2530SA, 2532S, 2533S, 2622S, 2622SA, 2698S Applications: 1957 DeSoto - Power Pack 1957 Dodge - 8 Cyl. Automatic Transmission, Power Pack. 1957 - 1958 Plymouth - 8 Cyl. Power Pack.

29. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bchctybob likes this.
  30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What makes you think they will not? Between 1956 and 1961 there were thousands of 245 and 270 hp engines built by Chevrolet let alone the small Dodges and Plymouth’s with stock non-performance camshafts some under the 265” of Chevrolet. I have 2 on a 296” yblock with a stock 202hp camshaft and 8.5 comp ratio and an automatic transmission. They perform flawlessly and mileage is reasonable for the engine. They just need to be tuned correctly and depending how you are going to idle a UniSyn and vacuum gauge are a must. I have only adjusted my set twice in 5 years.