Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest SCAM ALERT, This time eBay

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frames, Jan 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frames

Frames

1-18-21 item sold. eBay says send item within 3 days. 1-20-21 eBay says 3-4 days money to reach my bank. eBay says it may take a few days for my bank to show money in my account. $185.00 sale including shipping, $25.03 eBay FEE. $159.97 going to my bank account. Out of that I will pay shipping. Net less than $150.00. Thanks eBay for this new system of paying! Can you spell GREED?

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Nothing new here...they take a big chunk of it. It's not a scam, it's just business as usual.

If you'd like to take your stuff to your local swap meet instead, when it's open, you'll probably get a lot less. At least, that's been my experience.

3. I stopped selling things on that site years ago due to the fees. Listing fees, selling fees, fee on shipping cost, PayPal transaction fees. It all adds up.

4. 5window

5window

It's high, but it is not a scam if they tell you the fees up front. You agreed to their terms when you posted.

clem, SDhotrod, Carter and 9 others like this.

5. The smart folks stopped using that site years ago.....

6. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

When you look up GREED in the dictionary there is a picture of E-bay.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  7. 5window

5window

I don't like it, but sometimes it is the only place to find things I need.

8. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I've been an Ebay seller for over 20 years. I admit that I spend at least 2x what I make.... but I turn trash into stuff I want. Most of that has been car parts. I sell old parts and buy old parts I want! I figure about 35% fees after all is said and done.

I'm not a fan of this new way to get paid either. But I setup a specific bank account just for Ebay so there isnt much in there if anything ever got hacked.

9. I had not looked at the cars for sale section for old cars in a few years & was shocked that 90% of all ads are now dealers. I will continue to buy parts on Ebay for the ones I am building, but doubt if I will sell on there.

The last 2 cars I bought were on the FaceBook Marketplace, one in North Carolina & one in Idaho. I guess most of the guys selling cars these days do it on FB Marketplace, Racinjunk or Craigslist.

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

joel, stillrunners, 5window and 2 others like this.
  10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It must still be profitable for some vendors. For example, I've been looking fro a gas tank for my Ranch Wagon. It is available on Ebay with shipping included. When you go directly to the vendor's web site the cost is the same but shipping is extra. After paying Ebay fees and shipping the net to the vendor is obviously considerably less. Doesn't really make sense to me but I guess the additional exposure of Ebay is worth it. But then again I'm not a dealer. There have been times when I've contacted the seller directly to give them the chance to sell it at the Ebay price to save the fees are they usually agree.

stillrunners and bchctybob like this.
  11. I simply sell here and in specialty FB groups

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Finally. I feel smart.:D

clem, partssaloon, das858 and 2 others like this.
  13. I gave up when the fees started going up and they took all the power away from the sellers. Started seeing buying scams where folks would make up an issue, get a refund AND keep the product

41rodderz likes this.
  14. I have bought and sold plenty on eBay over the years and everything I have ever sold has always been shipped/mailed at the buyers expense.

Yes, the fees are high but the market they bring my item(s) to is HUGE and I can sell every day of the week, all year round. To me, it's just the cost of doing business.

There are certainly costs involved when selling at a flea market and there is no guarantee anyone is going to pay you more than what you can get on eBay.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  15. Yeah, I have never included shipping unless it is a small high value item that can go in a small flat rate box.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  16. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Wait, you guys sell your stuff ? I always seem to just be buying. Huh..

I was brick and mortar with a website when they came around. My credit card machine rates doubled. The banker told me somebody had to cover their fraud rates. People were posting pictures lifted from my website in their ads. The place was, and still is, a swamp. I do occasionally buy there. Only when the prices are stupid low. I'll never sell there. Mike

17. Instagram and Facebook seems to be the best place to buy/sell, as far as variety. Not necessarily protection. At least there is protection through PayPal.

I killed all my social media, so I'm not sure where to find or sell my stuff now. Offer up seems sketchy.

18. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

5-10 years ago I sold about 5 cars on ebay under $2-5k range, Every car had to been relisted due to buyer not paying, It was a headache calling ebay. Im not computer smart. Finally every car I sold went to buyers from overseas and we talked over the phone about the payment with no paypal. I do not understand how ebay lets people bid on cars and then when they win the bid they never pay up. Recently I tried ebay for some small parts but said pick up parts at my house only sold one item though.

19. Just curious what year wagon. I never could find one for my 61 but that was quite a while ago.

20. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'54 Ranch Wagon

wraymen likes this.
  21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It's the old, "you wanna play, you gotta pay" deal, and they make all the rules. I've had more "issues" with E-Bay in the last year than in all the years prior combined, and it's getting to the point I just need to stop dealing with/through them. Off shore call centers, bad sellers, and all the "fees" add up; basically, you're paying more for the level of service, which never was very good to begin with, and it just keeps getting worse. Even Craig's List charges a fee for cars/trucks now. so people are listing them in "parts", so I imagine they'll soon be doing the charging there also. At least the HAMB classifieds don't charge us!!! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

22. Frames

Frames

The HAMB has been GREAT for me selling. I haven't advertised on eBay for quite some time. When I do I add 10% to the " Buy it now " price and I tell the looker that. Hoping he will contact me. Very few people do. I add a picture of my business card to the ad. Maybe eBay deletes the picture. This time they charged about 15%. Lately I have been stating in eBay ads " Use your head, beat the sales tax" Hoping they would contact me. I also sell sports cars on Craigs List. People there are not afraid to LOW BALL the hell out of me.

23. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ebay is forcing sellers to accept direct payment to there bank account...instead of instant pay through Paypal. This way, Ebay becomes the middleman and collects interest on the millions of $ it holds for up to 7 days. A lot of sellers are including "Will ship ONLY after Ebay processes your payment. (5-7 days)

24. TCATTC

TCATTC

Didn't eBay buy PayPal a few years ago?

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Never used "the bay" for anything but my suggestion is treat it the same way as dealing face to face.
    I always factor in the possibility of being "talked down" which has simply become SOP when buying.
    Set your price based on the various side factors that have become part and parcel of dealing on "that auction site".

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've done a lot of that. Actually pack it in the box after I take the photos and know exactly what the shipping is and calculate that into the price. I sold a lot of my wife's college text books that way. Those text books in turn bought a lot of car parts.
    I'm to the point with shipping car parts that I won't even post anything for sale that doesn't fit in a Priority box except what I sell locally. I got beat up by the post office pretty bad on my last two deals and lost money both times due to the cost of mailing it being more that what the online calculator said it would be. Both of those items were sold on FB marketplace in groups that I belong to though. My bad for not actually taking the package to the post office and getting an exact price.

olscrounger and bchctybob like this.
  27. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

What part of this is a scam? The fees and charges are disclosed up front, YOU agreed to them. Not liking the price of an item or service does not make it a scam.

28. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a business model and, as mentioned, has a tremendous market exposure. That has value. If you don't like it, there are other alternatives. As for greed, I've been in business and 35% overhead is low especially if you have employees. There are a whole lot of folks that don't get the concept that business is in business to make $.... period....if not, it is a Hot Rod hobby.
    Usually when something bites me in the ass, it's because I didn't pay attention to the details....how come this doesn't feel like a traditional Hot Rod forum...and the ultimate T-5 thread got locked?
    OH, details...

Fordors, pirate, egads and 1 other person like this.
  29. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I stopped selling on ebay a few years ago. I still buy on ebay when I need something that I can't find other places.
    The fees are right up front. The fees are the reason I won't sell on ebay. THE FEES! THE FEES, I TELL YOU!

egads likes this.
  30. KenC

KenC

Or take it to a local auction with 1-200 looker, some which may be bidders., Some of them potential buyers of your item. And, still pay 30-35% of the sale price in commissions. eBay has been OK for me over the years. I used to by a lot of stuff at those local auctions and resell on the bay. Very few problems buying or selling.

The new govt rules on sales tax collection removed some of the advantage to buying there. But it seems fair, sort of levels the playing field, local brick and mortar with service, vs distant purchase with none.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.