Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Look what followed me home today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Brian I like most of which you post, but how is any of this on topic for this forum. I tend to think if I post about 1966 vehicles and 1968 engines it would get booted as well as it should. Neat stuff, wrong place.

2. Budget36

Budget36

I get ya, but if the selling price of that engine you have, can get you a fresh 427 that you want, and put some coin in your pocket, why not?

mad mikey, loudbang and slayer like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

you don't get it...this is the 427 that he wants.

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Many of us frequent the "General Discussion" forum becauuse it is considered somewhat more contemporary based as compared to the "Traditional" forum.
    Myself, I don't think that talking about my 67 Nova or Moriarity talking about his Chevelle or Brian posting about his 427 engine for his Chevelle is beyond what's reasonable here.
    What we do not do is focus purely on the OT car and specifically don't show photos of post 65 cars.
    I learned my lesson!

5. This really comes down to how most of us grew up. We scrounged up parts at swap meets; junk yards; friends etc. We looked at the classifieds daily in the newspaper. We had networks of guys that knew guys that had parts. i couldn't go down the the local chevy dealership and buy a crate motor. I lived it and did it. I was shut out of the cool stuff because of a lack of funding. Its no different today. The guys with the deep pockets get the pricey engines. Well the little guy scored one using the same methods I was using as a kid. It took 36 years to get it done but it got done. So why would I want to sell it to buy something else. This is what I want and I have chased it all of my adult life.
    As far as why is this engine thread relative to the hamb? Because I'm sharing the info so others can score. I don't hear about anyone bitching about all of the 350 threads. They are outside the hamb cut off to.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    enloe, mad mikey, Allmotor and 8 others like this.
  6. Hey Squirrel what engine do you have in your hamb friendly nova that everyone goes crazy over? No issues with that one. 20160916_145959.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Just Gary, enloe, mad mikey and 9 others like this.
  7. Scruffy i believe i remember a picture you posted of your new hemi hot heads. Surely out side of the 65 cut off year. They were first made in the 80s. See we all do it at times and push it. I think if there is value to the thread some thing are easier to overlook than others.

8. 435 hp 427 isn't HAMB friendly .. or some sh*t. That makes me laugh out loud. It's a Doyle Gammell 427.

Brian, are you on Instagram, by chance ?? Like to check out the garage innards .. .. so to speak. If I may be so lucky. :cool:

loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  9. You were a half step luckier than me. I was lucky enough to get a warranty replacement 435 engine, and although I haven't put it to use yet, I still have no intention of letting it go. ( I went with a 454 instead, for now).
    Your engine is a real find, and I am happy to learn that it is going into a Chevelle. One of my buddies ordered a new 435 horse Corvette in 1966, and it is impossible to describe the fun we had with that car.
    The 3x2 engine is one of my all time favourites. Good luck finding a manifold. What are you going to run for a transmission?
    Bob

mad mikey, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  10. Funny how you make a point and it's conceived as bitching, carry on, did my first Corvette 390HP/427 in 1978 out of a wrecked 1966 for the record. See Ya...

11. Kidcampbell1171 I'm not on Instagram. I'm on Facebook under my name. My thread about my other car rebuilding after the crash has garage shots here and there. I'm careful about whats shown in the background so you won't see it all. Actually not much to see period.
    J-jock i have a m-21 muncie. The car started life as a rare L-79 bench seat four speed no option Malibu. After doing a bunch of work on a friends 67 gto that has a od tremic in it i might be tempted to go that route. Its a tough choice because I'm really trying to keep it all vintage.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Bob
    I think you might have meant to say the 435 hp intake/3x2 Holleys are hard to find cheaper than the whole Corvette cost new, they can be found on that auction site for big $$$$.
    I won't second guess Brians' plans but something tells me he isn't gonna go there.

dirty old man and enloe like this.
  13. I'm not bitching just pointing out the fact that most of us once and a while post stuff outside the cut off year if they think there is value including you. No big deal. Moderators must be ok with it as its now a featured thread.

14. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I got a story you'll enjoy.
    Back in Highschool I had a 55 Chevy with a 283 and 3 Strombergs....unusual for the times but cool to my friends. One of my buds (who had a 69 Chevelle) was at another kids house and bought for $25 a 3x2 intake with carbs that the kids Dad had left after a divorce. My bud knew it was worth something but not much more. So he brought it over to my place to try and ID what came off of. At that time I only knew SBCs but could tell it was GM. The next day my buddy got a ticket. Needing cash, we took it over to a local hot rodders house to see if he wanted to buy it. My buddy got the $85 to cover his ticket. As you can guess, it turned out to be off a 67 BBC Vette. Oh well!!!

MBog, loudbang, racer-x and 1 other person like this.
  15. Its the blocks that don't have the numbers removed from being decked that bring the money. Once the numbers are gone the price really drops. I'm not talking casting numbers as they are all same regardless if its a vette or impala. The intakes are easy to find. Alot of guys I talked to pulled them off and put on a single four barrel for more power. They got a bad rap when the vacuum pods were pulled and replaced with straight linkage. They are the same carbs as a mopar six pack. The fuel line is on the opposite side using a different fuel bowl. If a guy doesn't care about numbers once the air cleaner is on no one can tell. Two holley trick spring kits can dial these carbs in perfectly. I have done a few six packs this way and was surprised at the results. So smooth.

16. That 427 will make a killer day 2 type upgrade. Killer score.
    Just playing devils advocate, what about trading for a fresh turn key big block(say 500+inch) plus cash?

17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I like the please don't lean on the fender of squirrel's car. He must mean just that spot. :p:D

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  18. Because it won't fit what I'm trying to do. The corvette guys are going crazy about a correct numbers matching engine going in a chevelle. It matters to them to get that right engine with numbers. Well it matters to me to get the right numbers engine into my car also. Not that they match a chevelle but they match the era I'm trying so hard to achieve. A corvette owners wants and needs should not supercide mine. Everyone wants that super rare hard to find part that sets their car apart from the others. In my case its this engine. Without it its just another bbc in a chevelle. Its cool to own something that has alluded me for so long. It makes no financial sense but little in this hobby does. Its still a hobby and passion for me not a business. I don't know how else to explain it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    MBog, Graham08, Nostrebor and 12 others like this.
  19. I'm on Facebook because a sponsor requires it. I don't tolerate any political bs on it. I keep it almost entirely about the car. Once in a while I post a family thing.

20. Yeah, I was getting worked over by the dentist today, and not thinking clearly.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  21. I get it. With all the cool correct era parts that you have, or will aquire soon, you will have a killer set up. The direction your heading is far superior to a numbers matching restoration, at least to me.

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  22. I will be using a Super T-10, for no other reason than I have one. I really liked the M-21.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

24. My first car was a '67 435 horse Corvette. Yes original matching numbers bring the big money but obviously the car it came out of is no longer matching numbers. I will say that no matter what anyone says the only person that "your" engine should be worth huge money to is the person that owns thee Corvette that has the matching VIN number. If that car even exists anymore. There's only one that would be an actual matching number scenario. So put "your" engine in "your" car and enjoy.

dirty old man, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  25. i7083

i7083
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi everyone. A newbie here, so I thought I would make my first post in a "maybe contested" thread.
    I know a guy who's shop does a LOT of vette restoration and engine building. The thing now is reproduction parts like bolts, brackets, pulleys, etc. There's another guy who has a broach like GM used, and can deck the blocks and stamp whatever number you want on it. Total bs, as far as I'm concerned...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. That can turn into a mess quickly! Can you say fraud? I think you can. ( Mr Rodgers) That is almost as bad as the high end muscle cars that got "rebodied" back in the nineties.

27. 55Belairretrorod

55Belairretrorod
    from Australia

Hey Brian, I'm hearing you all the way. When one of these other guys has their name on the title to the Chevelle then they can dictate what engine goes into it.
    Years ago I bought a NOS 427 tri-power intake in the car park outside a swap meet here and sold it before I got in the gate. If I still had it I'd ship it to you.
    Keep up the good work!

28. They can re stamp a block with new numbers. They can't stamp four bolts into the mains. The 435 hp engines were all four bolt.

29. chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  30. thats true. i forgot about that it can be done. im so used to the cross bolted hemi mains i wasnt thinking chevy.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.