Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical EXHAUST SYSTEM

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Danny1610, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Up, over, down, out behind the rear wheels of out the back is my vote as well.

I have a '79 C30 dump truck I use for hauling firewood and general junk. It's 350 is dumped before the rear axle (cheap and easy) and it gets everything filthy. I dont care as it's just a homemade steel dump body. But that wouldn't cut it on my '59. Too much chrome and wide whites to keep clean!

2. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

mufflers are one of the few things i try to leave to a shop with tools for the job . but a tri five ? write a check . whatever your dream will be delivered shortly . clamps dont rust either

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Australian exhaust (down under and outback)
    upload_2021-1-19_14-21-31.png
    My truck sits low and there is still plenty of room under here. reference the lower shock bolts and the bottom of the pumpkin. Not to say it would work on every application but it worked here. Sounds cool.
    upload_2021-1-19_14-22-27.png

Maicobreako and Shadow Creek like this.
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

5. grumpy65

grumpy65

This is not the place to take the easy option. Up, over, and out the back, either behind the wheels or under the bumper. Only way to go.;)

Danny1610 likes this.
  6. Danny1610

Danny1610

WOW didn't expect this amount of answers:p
    Well, In Italy we have several laws about exhaust.. But nobody gives a f***k 'bout them, me too.

So I checked the underneath of my '55 and yes, as said my exhaust now is too low, next to the ground, I'll look very stupid if I go with the pipes down under the rear axle and then straight out of.. So I decided I will smell some more fumes and then do a well done job with my exhaust. Up and over the rear axle and then is up to me.. stright out down the bumper or sided in the back of the rear wheel.. Thanks a lot for your answers guys! I will keep you updated:):):)

wraymen, 31hotrodguy and Budget36 like this.
  7. TCATTC

TCATTC

If I can put them over the axle on this, they shouldn't have any trouble at all on your '55 0120211304_HDR.jpg 0120211351_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Danny1610 and Elcohaulic like this.
  8. We used to run scavenger pipes under the axle. it is a '60s thing.

If I was building an exhaust I would want my pipes to run over the top on the axle. You can run them close to the floor just on either side of the punkin without bends sometimes. Depends on how low he car sits.

You have another option you can run them out the sides just in front of the rear tires too.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't see the "IN Italy" part when I first responded but I would think that you have decent shops there that can build an exhaust system that fits right and runs the exhaust out from under the car.

I had side pipes on my truck for a number of years and they didn't sound that bad inside the truck. Looking back it had that real 70's look going on. Later I ran it for 15 years with the exaust pipe exiting out in front of the back tire with a very worn out glass pack muffler on it. That was a bit annoying on road trips but I didn't get any fumes in the cab.
    I ran my OT 1971 GMC with a 350 with pipes I took off another truck that exited in front of the rear tire and were basically straight pipes although they did have mufflers on them. That got real annoying on long trips of several hundred miles.

The big problem with dump under the car exhaust is that going slow and maybe not so slow you will get exhaust fumes inside the car. That could be real bad in cooler weather with the windows rolled up. Secondly after a while the constant noise will just get to you. 48 wih side pipes.jpg