Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Woodgrain Hydrographic Printing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark Merritt, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Mark Merritt

Mark Merritt

Has anybody out there tried Hydrographic water transfer printing? Lots of folks so this on handguns and rifles butt it can be done on auto parts as well. I have a 36 Ford Roadster, more hotrod than original and the dash is painted black. I like the woodgrain look of the late 36 Ford Roadsters but guys that do that kind of work want around $1500 to do it by hand. Hydrographic water transfer or Hydrodipping a woodgrain design that's pretty close to the original style can be done for around $250 prepped, painted and dipped. If you've done any parts I'd love to see some pictures.

loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Why not do it yourself? It isn't that difficult. Paint the part beige, add the woodgrain with a feather, rag or graining tool and clear coat. You can use artist's paint for the grain, suitably diluted, but they probably make special ink or paint for the purpose. It might take a little practice but if you mess up you can wipe it off and start again. There must be online tutorials and Youtube videos. I have a couple of books on wood graining, making fake marble effects etc. Here is one to get you started.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Ned Ludd likes this.
  3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Peel and stick. Scan0801.jpg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

My boss played with dipping alot on gun stocks and smaller parts.

Once he got the hang of it- it really looked nice and many of the stocks he put several coats of hi gloss clear on and then sanded and buffed and they came out amazing.

The first ones was probably 5 or so years ago and several of those guns he uses during duck, Turkey season etc and have held up great to wear and handling...

loudbang likes this.

5. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I had some stuff being powder coated and they also do hydrographic printing mostly on firearms. They were experimenting with a black motorcycle gas tank with white skulls and cross bones. The top of the tank had an almost perfect skull and crossbones but as it went down the sides of the tank it became more distorted almost as if the skulls were melting. Not exactly my taste but looked rather cool.

6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I did my garnish moldings in my 32 sedan with a burl look. I love them, the guy that did them did a so so job but I thought they were done well enough. Had the body man shoot clear coat over them So it gives it a nice deep look.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I had my 46 Olds dash and garnish moldings done via hydrographics; they're a bit dusty now however when clean, Wow.
    Dash 2.jpg

Garnish-rear.jpg
    Garnish mold.jpg

Dash woodgrain-.jpg

Dash woodgrain.jpg

Just Gary, charleyw, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Another more elaborate approach that makes a burl effect as seen on the most expensive cars. Notice that he uses only a few cheap brushes, a plastic grocery bag and rags. Plus 3 of cans of stain and some regular paint. You should be able to do this at home for a lot less than a shop would charge, as it is mostly labor time.

Ned Ludd and mgtstumpy like this.
  9. Kevin Dana

Kevin Dana

I’ve got a lot of experience with it from mass producing bicycle parts in Asia. The process is used on so many things these days, and there are likely many places domestically that can do it for you at a reasonable cost, especially if they are doing a batch of the pattern you want.

Most places are doing camo, wood grain, or faux-carbon patterns as they are the most in demand and widely used. Organic patterns work best, as anything linear tends to distort on curves / radii, etc.

With a proper clear coat, it’s plenty durable and depending on pattern, a matte clear can look great as well. Depending on the pattern, your base coat color can/will effect the shade of the finished work.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Are you serious? That looks excellent! Did you clear coat afterwards? Or is this a cruel joke? LOL

11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Stick on. Not perfect, but way, way better than the before pic`s. Just look at the steering wheel. The rest of the car is a polished turd. Found him a better steering wheel on the HAMB. Not cleared, it came shinny. I`m doing hrdographics on my next project. By a professional. A friend of mine said that was the best part of his car !

12. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Kindig did a quick how to on an episode of Bitchin rides too. I'd love to try this I just never see myself with the car to do it on, maybe 1day though.

13. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Woodgraining.com for me too! Unless you're an expert, most hand painted stuff just looks like schmeared paint.

scotty t, egads and uncleandy 65 like this.
  14. 48 Indian Rag

48 Indian Rag
    from conn

Check out Juliano's Catalog last couple of pages . they have been doing it for years and they're top notch people to do business with.

stanlow69 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

16. Mark Merritt

Mark Merritt

Hey thanks to all for references on the "DIY" for wood graining and mgtstumpy for the pics of your 46 Olds. I think I will go for it as its pretty low cost. Worse case if doesn't turn out well is I strip it off. I'll post pictures back here once it's complete.

pprather likes this.
  17. I've been wanting to try this for years.
    I've read about it every now and then.
    Watched some un informative how to vids.

Unfortunately all the vids I've seen so far seem to assume that you don't really need their info.
    "put down your base coat"
    ? If I use car enamel will the next layers wrinkle it like so many other paints will? lacquer? finger paints? ??? what kind of base coat???

"next, wipe on your Toner"
    toner for printer? water based ink maybe?, alcohol based? if I walk into a craft store will they ask what sort of toner? Paint dept at hardware store? The minimum wage attendants all look puzzled too.

"Glaze" Topcoat I assume?
    made of what? automotive clear? arts n crafts supply of some kind? Certainly not pottery glaze, right? Thats a secret too. Store ppl cant seem to answer that either.

I got so many odd answers and puzzled looks when I ask what to buy at various stores.

If I just start grabbing stuff with similar names, and start layering, what are the chances of the upper coats wrinkling the stuff under it? it is a concern isnt it?.

The answers sure werent in any vids yet... they assume you already know without their giving you real info.
    I sure wish ONE of the vids on youtube or elsewhere would mention the exact supplies and the exact sources you need to find instead of acting like you really didn't want the info.

What sort of "glaze"? Is that code for top clearcoat using automotive paint?

Base Coat - ordinary car paint ok? the next coats of other stuff on top wont wrinkle it?
    "Toner" slow dry automotive paint for wiping around? Actual ink? water base or alcohol? special concoction? arts &crafts special stuff???

aw , heck with it....

Sent from my SM-G981V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

WalkerMD and Hnstray like this.
  18. Silverplate

Silverplate

These are photos of a dash and door trim for a 1940 Packard we have that was done using Hydrographic water transfer printing. Came out incredible.

E5282713-5101-40CA-9D53-DC439A9889D4.jpeg D737EF96-2AD0-4F52-AE00-7D2070E0D08C.jpeg ED234131-27DC-43C1-B4CF-2CE436830E38.jpeg

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Silverplate absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for posting. What craftsmen did this fine work, if you are free to say?

Ray

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought this wheel from Julianos. After mock up i sent it back to have the woodgrain hydroprinting done, also did the shift knob to match. It still looks perfect and it is top down most of the time.
    upload_2021-1-19_15-25-4.png

Hnstray likes this.