Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods No one has scooped this one up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roderick Hazen, Jan 16, 2021.

1. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Sheeeeet, there's a shoebox on ebay for 55k, if Yall wanna talk crazy. Hell, we should be HOPING they get that kind of money. We own these damn things too! Lol. Dude down the road from me listed his house for 600k. I thought Jay-sus.... I hope he gets it!

nochop likes this.
  2. Lots of guys build or pay someone to build these old hoopties and try to sell them for what it cost them to build it. Nothing wrong with trying to recoup your investment. We all would like to do that.

clem, TrailerTrashToo and 210superair like this.
  3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    1. The thrill and joy watching these cars go for stupid money.
    2. Realizing how the heck can I now afford the parts for the car I do own.

210superair and Blues4U like this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Car Auction Prices - Professional Wrestling - Reality, there is a book title for someone.

stanlow69 and F-ONE like this.
  5. GeeRam

GeeRam

Yep, these are what I've bought for my 3w coupe.

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Rust to Riches...Piece to Prince
    How To Get Rich In The Automotive Hobby
    Forward By...Vince
    [​IMG]
    You'll learn how to make friends and influence people from none other than the president of FoMoCo
    Harry Bennet
    We still don't know where those millions went!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You'll lean the intricacies of automotive finance and business from such greats as
    Mickey Thompson
    John DeLorean
    Boyd Coddington

Craigslist Means Cash and lots of it!
    [​IMG]

If you don't want to fool with cars but you still want the bucks, that's simple
    Start Your own Specialty Parts Business
    . Learn the market
    . Develop your business
    . Gain Loyalty and trust from your beloved customers
    . Once you have your sack full of money, sell out to Ecklers or turn it over to your drug addicted kids
    What do you care? You have made your money.
    It's all in here.
    Get your copy of...
    Rust to Riches...Piece to Prince
    Today!!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  7. cretin

cretin

I'd love to see where any of you guys are finding steel '32 running hot rods for $20k.

8. I bought my first 1932 5 window for 75 bucks but that was almost 60 years ago. HRP

9. Budget36

Budget36

I knew something like this would pop up;)

firstinsteele likes this.
  10. Most guys that bash 32’s do so cause they can’t afford one. That’s probably why I hate late model Italian sports cars too.

11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Betcha most of your costs are shipping;)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Roderick Hazen

Roderick Hazen

:) Not Mine ! I'd keep the darn thing even if my kids got less for it than I had in it! :)

Oh, thank you. I've looked at thoses for a while and thought they looked rather good. I just didn't want to be that rude "new guy" that felt the need to point that out ! :);)

As a side note:
    The seller said the coupe may be sold. Hemmings doesn't forward to the seller on the weekend. It was unsold first thing this morning. So, in between my questions to him and he getting back to me someone got serious. Which one of you was it? :D

I'm hoping he will give me an idea what it sold for so I can update you all.

clem likes this.
  13. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Lots of joshing and some tongue in cheek blue collar commentary, but the car is really not that high priced.
    Antony Myric and others know that a 100K car on Barret Jackson likely has 90K+++ into it maybe even more. The profit margin is not as big as most think, that is if there is a profit at all.

The problem I have with the Barrett cars is Johnny Hayseed who thinks the neglected hulk is worth 10s of thousand because "one just like it" sold for 6 digits.

That 32 has a lot of stuff I like and some stuff I don't. Part of it looks like 1962. Other stuff looks like the back half adds from Street Rodder circa 1999.

It's a solid old car.
    Heck a new Rubicon goes for more.

Out of this whole thing, what I can't get over is the dust was not even washed off the car.
    It's not even cool dirt. If it was a TROG car with mud all over it and a number on the door is one thing but garage dander is quite another.
    I'm funny about stuff like that. If someone does not have enough pride to wash the thing off, did they have enough pride to check the oil, the water or grease it? It sends the wrong message.
    The message it send to me is I'm dumping this.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Desoto291Hemi and The37Kid like this.
  14. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Very good point and I agree that buying a 32 ford as a financial investment is not wise, But my point was just that alot of the guys who are saying that 50k for a 32 ford is crazy are driving a 50k plus throw away pickup. I do not think either of these are investments but If I was to gamble on which one of them will hold their value I am picking the 32 ford. And you also pointed out a very important fact here, Since both are being treated as just a means of transportation in my example (Due to the fact that because they payed so much for that pickup they won't use it as intended to haul anything) I guess it is all in how you look at it, As I am the guy with the 32 ford who says you are crazy for paying 50k plus for a new pickup truck you are afraid to scratch. LOL My 32 ford will take me back and forth to work just like the 50k throw away pickup will, And the bonus is if for some reason I have troubles, I can fix it myself with out Understanding G-code and having to hook it up to a computer. LOL

5window and alanp561 like this.
  15. Never seen a 50+k throwaway truck.
    Never seen a 32 coupe pull a 40 foot gooseneck.

X-cpe, Blues4U and F-ONE like this.
  16. adam401

adam401

Its hard to put a price on this stuff because its all made up. Were the ones that have assigned value to these obsolete cars. Weve decided that theyre worth something but how much?

I love 32s and I do see the appeal of having the right parts like 25 louvered hoods because its fun to find something thats hard to find. Just like early guages, rare speed equipment etc. Theres plenty of guys who its about passion not status. Just because a guy has and likes expensive stuff doesnt make him a gold chainer. All this shit is costly it just depends what you wanna spend money on and whats important to you.
    That 5 window will sell for like 45 and it would be hard to build for that. Its just money, not a kidney.

Blues4U and 210superair like this.
  17. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Not sure about the 32 pulling a gooseneck, but a quick visit to any Used Car in Okieland will validate the other. Yeehaw Cowboy!!

Irish Mike and hotrodlane like this.
  18. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't bash 32's or late model Italian sports cars because I can't afford one. I can and did afford a late 80's 2.0 L, 4 cylinder, hemi-headed, 115 HP OT Italian 2 seater roadster because it corners like a bear on the twisty winding roads in this part of the world. When I'm done building the 59AB powered 27T, I doubt seriously that it will handle like the OT roadster on the same roads.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. 5window

5window

When I was young and couldn't afford anything ,I thought '32s were the cat's pajamas. Now I'm old and could afford one if I wanted it, but find I really like Model As. The world is a strange place. Oh, I really like Duesenbergs ,too. :)

alanp561 and Blues4U like this.
  20. I’ve repaired a lot of those “throwaway” trucks.
    Many more of them on the road than 32s

21. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

It's not even us who decides, eh? It's the market. Anything is worth exactly what you can sell it for, end of story....

alanp561, j hansen and GeeRam like this.
  22. chopped

chopped

I think there's a difference between what its worth and what it sells for. When you overpay is it still worth it?

23. Took me a while to find the old photo on my computer but this is the closest thing to a 32 Ford pulling a goose neck style trailer. HRP

DSC_0053.jpg

d7a43f79-a515-46ae-97e2-7102a12e3292.jpg

24. That’s cool
    Ugly as sin but cool.
    Wonder if we could load 15-20k pounds worth of stuff in it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. The car auction companies talk about the 30 year rule, when you were 20 years old the car you wanted and couldn't afford will possibly be affordable 30 years later. You have raised the kids, have a better job and better credit, more disposal income and now are searching out the good examples of what you wanted then. The prices of Broncos, screaming chicken Firebirds, Toyota Celica's, are unimaginable to me and keep going up at the big auctions. On the other hand at the same auction, usually on day one I see street rods going for way less than what you could build one for. Yes some look "dated" and some are fiberglass but there are some bargains that you didn't see 10 years ago. I have friends in our car club that have passed away and their wives or kids are trying to sell the cars at prices their deceased loved ones told them they were worth, sometimes with appraisals from 15 years ago. The cars won't bring that kind of money today because less people are out there that want them. One such car I know of is an all steel 32 three window that is a nice car without a doubt. But the widow thinks it's worth $120K and it has not sold (surprise!) and she also has a 55 Nomad that is very overpriced. The cars are worth what someone will pay for them today and next year that may change up or down based on a number of unknown factors. If someone is asking $50K for a car and it hasn't sold there is a reason, if they are asking $20K and it sells in 20 minutes there was also a reason. No amount of arguing will change that!

X-cpe, alanp561, Chicster and 4 others like this.
  26. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Well said.

Chopped said "if you overpayed was it still worth it.". Ha, well, I don't overpay. I doubt many here do. I overCHARGE. Lol. Seriously though, if a seller can get whatever they can get, then yeah, I guess it's worth it. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything. If someone will pay what you're asking for something, it's worth it to them...

alanp561 likes this.
  27. A lot of us would love to have that car but the truth of the mater is many of us just don't have the money to spend on another car, I certainly don't but if I did have some discretionary income to blow I would make a offer, the car is well worth the money.

I will say that anyone with the means to buy this car has the others in the same price range to consider. HRP

hotrodlane, 210superair and K13 like this.
  28. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

The price something is sold for is the market value at that moment in time. Not one minute before or after.

210superair likes this.
  29. Deuce Roadster use to have a saying, " You can never pay too much for a car you just bought it too soon, give it a few years" HRP

210superair likes this.
  30. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

And maybe not even then! Who knows the reasons some people will overpay for a certain item. Maybe they want what dad had, maybe they have so much cash they don't care to squabble, maybe some other reason....

If I was a multi-millionaire and wanted that car, I wouldn't haggle, that's for sure.

It would be an interesting thread to know what certain cars were bought for, what their investment level was, etc. I know it comes up from time to time in threads.