Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Charlie Wiggins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 18, 2021.

1. I met Willy Ribbs at a NASCAR truck race in Phoenix, fall 1990. I worked for Chrysler Corp and won a company contest, the prize was to be on a pit crew for a day. Got there at 7:30 in the morning and it was already hot, if I remember the race started at 2:30pm . I asked Willy what it was like driving a race truck in heat like that and he said "did ya ever put a jock strap in a microwave over?" without even cracking a smile. He told me a few great stories and signed a shirt for me. Still have it, nice guy!

tractorguy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. Great story ! Great history.

it’s crazy to think what these guys went through just to do what they loved.
    Good people are just that good people regardless of race, religion etc.

the neighborhood I live in was built in the 50’s one of the original contractors daughters is my neighbour, she was telling me and the wife that the builder would not sell homes to “certain types of folks”
    Well , her dad and a couple others did not like that rule , so they would buy houses themselves then resell them to “ those types of people”.
    This was in the 50’s. It’s funny and scary as really that’s not that long ago and how far we have come .

Stogy and brjnelson like this.
  3. Just one more. From 1967, "I think of myself as a man..."

4. Spooky

Spooky

What a cool story! Love it!
    Thanks for posting this, Ryan!

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story. I learned a long time ago that the color of your skin has far less to do with things than how you present yourself to others. Present yourself well and usually you are accepted, make a bad presentation and you aren't well received.

6. Andy D

Andy D

Thanks for sharing this, I had never heard of Charlie Wiggins. To put up with all that he did, invited as the janitor just to get into the race track is incredible. Incredible history lesson.

7. Book and content was very interesting, but the audiobook was painful to listen to... was really disappointed was the narrator.