Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs curved glass substitute

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msgt tank, Jan 18, 2021.

1. msgt tank

msgt tank

what do you use when replacement curved glass isn't available? poly carbonate scratches just by looking at it. aircraft use plexiglass but has anyone used it in their car with good results. we need a substitute rear window for our '49 plymouth fastback.

2. TCTND

TCTND

Polycarbonate ("lexan") is actually tougher and more scratch resistant than plexi but has much poorer UV resistance so shorter lifespan in sunlight. Unfortunately there is no good substitute for glass.

msgt tank and porknbeaner like this.
  3. They make it hardened and polished for the sign industry. It seems to hold up well enough. I guess the upside is that you can cut it easily so when it goes bad its easy to replace. :D

You are correct though, there is really no replacement for glass.

msgt tank likes this.
  4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Back glass usually easy to find compared to windshields because they get less wear. There must be a used one around if you look for it. You might try advertising on the AACA forums or P15-D24 forums.

msgt tank likes this.

5. I would think finding a good used one would be what I would try first considering there really is no good substitute at least long term.

msgt tank likes this.
  6. Again, no location as to where he is. If you want help, you should make it easier for us to help you. If you are near Harrisburg, Pa. contact < chevsotolac > here on the H.A.M.B. Stan gets into a lot of old junkyards, and can usually tell you what is available.

stillrunners likes this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

A used '49 Plymouth fastback rear window glass should be very find-able. Shipping might be a lot, but even if you have to pay up for one, it's a much better solution than a plastic replacement.

8. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Try Pilkington Ohio, now a subsidiary of NSG group. I was able to get reproduction curved glass for old mopars at reasonable prices. Jack E/NJ

811 Madison Avenue
    Toledo
    OH
    43604-5684
    USA
    +1 800 221 0444

stillrunners and alanp561 like this.
  9. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    stillrunners likes this.
  10. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

I suspect that plymouth & dodge fastbacks shared the same glass. Possiblly some desoto & chrysler sedans as well in this immediate post WW2 era. Jack E/NJ