Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Show rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Dec 22, 2020.

1. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Even bigger difference than the race cars is the race tracks. Don't see the big dogs parked on the grass any more.

2. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I wonder what the future of this one was. Any finished pictures? Impressive sheet metal layout; Before the magic of fiberglass and paper mache.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  3. Lil32, Sancho, mad mikey and 7 others like this.
  4. ray farners x-ray.jpg

Ray Farhner's X-Ray... Based on a mid-'50 Jaguar chassis. The blower is just sitting on top of the motor... LOL

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Sancho, bchctybob, mad mikey and 4 others like this.
  5. Fordors

Fordors

29DD6F6E-C4A9-469D-9F92-696B94D62F4D.jpeg 9157ED88-64DA-487F-8267-50E59E13BA06.jpeg 65C28B27-67BF-46DD-B77B-609AC0E9CC22.jpeg 0CEF46A5-D3C2-46FB-A412-2EDF71606330.jpeg

Ray Farhner used a lot of Jaguar components in this car, suspension, engine and driveline, wheels, gauges and even the back window was from a ‘55 Jag XK 120.
    The article did not state if the 6-71/ Hilborn combo was just sitting on the engine to look cool or actually functional.

Sancho, mad mikey, Lepus and 5 others like this.
  6. It wasn't.... The DOHC Jaguar six had side-draft induction, the blower is sitting on the cam covers. Look carefully, you won't see any throttle linkage or fuel lines. My understanding is R&C wanted the cover photo a bit more 'out there', this was the solution. I did see it at a show, the blower was missing.

7. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Thanks for the quick response. Impressive build. I don't remember seeing pictures of that car before.

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It needs a custom paint job, maybe 2 toned. With highlights. Built around 1962. Scan0102.jpg Scan0674.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Sancho, gnichols, mad mikey and 5 others like this.
  9. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

The blower balances out the bubble top. After seeing it with the blower, it would look sorta plain without it. When I saw the picture of it while being built, wondered how he was going to blend in the hood with the motor.

mad mikey, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. The top was removable, it was considered as a roadster. It went through several 'restylings', this is it today...

ray farners x-ray 2.jpg

To my knowledge, the 'blower' was never seen again after the R&C photo shoot.

Sancho, Deuces, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Russ is a great guy. I was just out to see him this morning. He is still going strong.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

13. Lil32, Deuces, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  14. These two cars illustrate the differences between a show rod and a show custom...

The top one is a show custom, four place seating, larger than a show rod. The only 'rod' influence visible is the carbs sticking through the hood. This would never be mistaken for a Hot rod. Bubble top almost mandatory.

The lower one has all the Hot Rod cues; smaller, two place seating, mostly exposed rear wheels, no doors, even the motor (not just the carbs) protruding though the hood. And a radically-designed body.

Historically, in the heyday of these 'extreme' customs Ed Roth was main builder of Show Rods, starting with his 'Outlaw'. With a few non-Roth exceptions (the Manta Ray, Silhouette, Wild T. The Lil' Coffin and the X-Ray blurred the line somewhat), bubble tops could be optional. The rest were based on larger '50s-'60s cars, generally had four place seating and operable doors if not trunks. Motors were concealed. Pure customs, no hot rod influence here. Most all of them competed in a 'Pro-only' class. Barris was about the only big name that didn't get on the bandwagon, having made his statement with the Golden Sahara then moving on. Starbird built more bubble-top cars than anyone else.

15. This one is an interesting show rod, it started out as a driveway build and if I recall the history of the car Mr Roth and Watson both had some influence on it.

Oh it was called the X-Sonic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dana barlow, Lil32, Sancho and 7 others like this.
  16. To me that's a show custom, and only by virtue of it's bubble top. Belongs in the same category as cars like the Predicta, Electra and Forecasta.

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  17. The sad thing was that by the time I became a bubble top car it was basically a big kids toy. It had a remote control and was pretty much pure show car.

my favorite iteration of it was the early years that it looked like a modified Corvette.

There was some pretty neat alterations to it though. I guess Calif had a ride height rule. It rode too low and he went to hydraulics so that he could lift it when parked (or stopped) and not be too low. How is that for backward to todays thinking. :D

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Barris did show rods too, here is the surf woody and the calico surfer and the xpac400 surf woody.png calico.png xpac.png

Lil32, Sancho, bchctybob and 8 others like this.
  19. I forgot about the surf cars, yep, those were show rods. But Barris never climbed onto the bubble-top bandwagon like many others did. I didn't include the X-PAC or Roth's Rotar as I don't consider those as 'cars'.

20. loudbang

loudbang

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^thems sum shiny, shiny tires!

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  22. loudbang

loudbang

23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I IMG_20210124_0001.jpg `ve seen it more than a couple times around the Kansas City area.

Lil32, Sancho, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

Like the Red version better. :)

chryslerfan55, stanlow69 and Deuces like this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

In Japan

Galaxian

show6 galaxian jap.jpg

Lil32, chevyfordman, Sancho and 6 others like this.
  26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Don't get any ideas. ;)

I subscribe to the 'build what you like' philosophy, but I also value the opinions of others. Must take some thick skin to build something you know as many people may not like as like.

Anyway I like most of 'em..

27. verde742

verde742

I noticed the "re-creation " has brakes on the front..nice touch!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Lil32, Sancho, Sky Six and 1 other person like this.
  28. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I think that I am in the valley, please hand hand me a flashlight!

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang

30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^That is soooo close to really far out.

loudbang likes this.