Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Technical: Ford Wheel ID: Why Won't Hubcaps/Wheelcovers Fit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phartman, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Here are pics of the 15" Ford wheel I have mounted on my 1940 Sedan. The axle end sticks out just far enough- about 1/4"- so that neither a hubcap or full wheel cover can seat.

thumbnail.jpg thumbnail-1.jpg

What are these wheels off of originally??? What hubcaps will fit?

And is the problem the wheel or the axle end?

Thanks, very puzzled here.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. 1940 to 48 car should fit. Looks like a later Ford wheel though. Do you have a picture of the hub cap your using ?

3. I have tried full Moon discs; '56 Olds Rocket full disc; and a '48 Ford center cap. All have interference from the axle end.

4. thumbnail.jpg 5539972554BB90CB.png 044-vi (1) (1).jpg You need some of these, Pete. Believe they are '47 Mercury. Mine are repros, but I see originals for sale now and then. They have a deeper dome than '46-'48 Ford.

40FORDPU and Paul like this.

5. tim troutman

tim troutman

15 inch may be early 60's f100 wheels

6. What caps will work? Those early '60s wheels won't accept an earlier cap?

7. Why not use a Spacer between the Rim & the Wheel.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Mmmmm...seems a little like cheatin'. Dunno about that. :(

9. Don, that's a great suggestion. Thanks. Didn't know about the dome difference in caps, but it makes sense. With a set of narrow whites, I was thinking about using my '61 HiPo caps, but they won't fit either.

10. Here's the depth of the dome on these '47 Mercury caps. thumbnail (10).jpg

11. Keep in mind though, Pete, that the chrome portion above is what seats against the wheel so you do lose some of that 3" depth shown in the picture.

12. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'm running 48 Ford hub caps on 15" F1 wheels on an early Ford rear end with no problems, wonder why yours won't fit? Your wheels look like KH 15" off an F1 , the hub caps should clear.

f5.jpg IMG_0869.jpg

13. Ok, I looked and I've got two of these wheels. One was one the driver rear, and the other in the trunk as a spare. Thinking that the offset might be more to the inside than the later wheels I have, the two inside nub wheels got moved to the front and the later outside nub wheels got moved to the rear.

But when I tried to use an appropriate cap for the same place but with a later 15" wheel, that cap wouldn't seat either. Interference from the axle end. So caps aren't working regardless of the wheel on the driver side rear.

So the problem is in the axle end. Why would the driver side axle end stick out more than the passenger side? thumbnail.jpg

The amount of the excess is just enough to not allow the cap to seat on either the inside nub wheels or the outside nub wheels.

The '40 has the original banjo rear, never had it apart, don't know of any modifications that were ever made. But this car has been on the road around here for a long time before I bought it.

What gives???!!!

14. Oh - and the caps you are trying to use - originally didn't have something sticking out from the original axel - like a hard on to put caps on.

Went through this on my stock 1947 Ford sedan - only on that rear.

15. What did you figure out? Did you modify the rear, or just leave it alone and not run caps?