Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Look what followed me home today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jan 17, 2021.

1. shit did happen. this is the shit right here. It was a emergency. I like Jim's thinking. I tell my wife that all the time.
    This was a outstanding investment that will pay big returns when I'm no longer able to play with cars. I won't loose on this one. It was bought right.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    MBog, dirty old man, enloe and 3 others like this.
  2. For those that don't know me I work in health care. I have worked in a cath lab for 30 years this month. I see patients every day that tell me if I only knew I was going to get sick i would have lived life differently and had more fun. I have listened to them and live my life with no regrets. Dont wait for tomorrow. I have seen way too many that never made it to tomorrow. I'm not trying to be dramatic just keeping it real.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  3. 63tango

63tango
    from California

Very cool find, that 427 is gonna be bad ass in your 66. I have a L72 in my 68 Chevelle and I love it.

racer-x, MBog, dirty old man and 2 others like this.
  4. Proving yet again that you'll find more deals by word-of-mouth that you'll ever find in ads.... Nice score!

5. It was found by accident. I was just carrying on a conversation with a post heart transplant patient. The guy seemed nervous before his procedure so I asked what he did for fun. Just trying to calm the guy down. He said I build engines for mud truck guys. We then started talking engine stuff and I mentioned I'm looking for a 427. He says I have one from a vette that was rebuilt about 35 yrs ago. It was started but never driven. I'm thinking yah right guy you have a 435 hp engine sitting under a tarp in your garage. I have chased so many leads for a 427 its not funny. I'm thinking here we go again. Talk about a shock walking into his garage and seeing this thing swinging from a hoist. You just never know. I think it was some how made to be. How else do you explain it. He claimed to have a engine out of the big foot truck on a stand. We looked at it and I believe the guy. There were engines all over amongst the four wheel drive junk. I didn't ask too many questions I didn't want to spook the guy into thinking I was casing the place. These deals all have a story. Something tells me I'm going back there. I didn't throw out his number.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It may not matter to you Brian but the old style M/T 427 rocker covers are about the most iconic of the bunch to me, I think if you don't plan on using OEM covers these would look great with either of those single 4bbl intakes.

upload_2021-1-18_12-35-59.png

Just Gary, enloe, Butch M and 5 others like this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

M/T covers are now de rigueur for a late 60's build. We call them "Rocky" covers.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Yes I agree. My buddy that came with me said either go finned with orange paint between the fins or factory chrome covers with the Delco breathers. I'm pulling out late 60s magazines to see what was offered back then. I also have some vintage speed shop catalogs. I have a narrow window on the parts I want to use. This is going to be fun.

9. Deuces

Deuces

Here's a cool big block valve cover... 2016-05-28_02-30-59-640x427.jpg

MBog, dirty old man, enloe and 6 others like this.
  10. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a find and you have a great attitude concerning life. Please keep us updated on how this performs in your Chevelle.

11. squirrel

squirrel

they look neat. But won't work on a period build like Brian's, because they're a modern design.

12. WHAT??? I suppose I have it coming. MTcovers.jpg

13. 20210118_154711.jpg 20210118_154228.jpg View attachment 4946431 View attachment 4946429 March 68 super stock. Look at the top in red. Things that make you go hmmm. All kinds of cool speed parts in this photo. The cars mag is from may 68. Look at the bottom in black. I have collected a lot of things over the years knowing some day the 427 would happen.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Just Gary, enloe, mad mikey and 7 others like this.
  14. Budget36

Budget36

Just recently had a Corvette kinda guy over, he offered 5k for my ‘70 LS5 from a Vette. I thought he was nuts, then figured he could resell it and make some money too. I know it’s not a 25k engine, but seems the Corvette restorer crowd still pays for what they want.
    After he was done looking at it from underneath, he then offered me a grand for the TH400.
    When he left, I bellied under the truck and saw he’d wiped the tag on the tranny off. Guess he knew what to look for, I sure as hell don’t. Lol

enloe, mad mikey, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  15. Cool now you know what numbers to look up. Find out what you have.

mad mikey, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

Aw, I like the engine. I know from where and when it came, and have let the kids know. Truck is set up for it, no reason to change now;)

enloe, mad mikey, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  17. paul nervo

paul nervo

Very cooool

loudbang, racer-x and Deuces like this.
  18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Great find Brian. I always liked the original chrome BBC covers. I had an O/T 67 el camino with a 396. It had factory air and right side wouldn't take a tall valvecover cause of the factory A/C pass side firewall. Lippy

loudbang and racer-x like this.
  19. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Keep it for the Chevelle....they are way cooler than any '69 Vette could be. Plus when you tell people it's a 'Vette 427, ya ain't just blowing smoke.

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said. A friend used to tell all the gym rats at work, "You'll make a fine looking corpse".

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've always liked this quote from another HAMB member.
    "It's never too late to have a wonderful childhood" John Stimac.

Roothawg, mad mikey, X-cpe and 2 others like this.
  22. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

That's a high tower block. Nice!

23. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Just a shame there is not as many "corvette" 427s as there is 350s.LOL

MBog, mad mikey, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Are you thinking "tall deck" 427?
    Those are truck blocks and the numbers on Brians' block call it out as Corvette.

mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  25. Budget36

Budget36

Ya, what’s a high tower block?

MBog, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  26. This engine is for sure a std deck block. The tall decks were in trucks. They don't work with headers in a -body.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  27. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

They sure work good to build a big inch stroker though. :D

mad mikey, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  28. I'm getting alot of heat from guys on Facebook for not selling this to the corvette crowd. I have had several restoration shops call wanting it to. Its been non stop all day. Years ago when I got some max wedge parts cheap I sold them for a profit even though I bought them to put on my 64 plymouth. After they sold i was really upset I did that. I sold my dream for some cash. There was no fun in that. Im not saying i don't like cash but there is a big difference between flipping parts you dont care about and flipping parts that are part of your dreams. This time around its not happening. I'm better off now financially than I was at 24 starting a family. My dreams are no longer for sale. Does it make a good financial decision? No I get that. Most hot rod stuff isn't. When the fun factor scale is looked at this one is off the charts. This car will be built using all the old rare parts guys collect but are afraid to use. The stuff guys hang on the wall as trophies and brag they have. It will go against the way the hobby is headed were parts that are considered too valuable are used as intended. When finished the car will be a time capsule of what we used to build. I should have a big big update on all of this on Saturday. Stay tuned in. Its going to get way better.

29. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Good for you Brian!

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  30. Brian,,,,you keep it,,,you earned it .

If anyone has ever seen the movie Airplane 2,,or maybe 3,,,,there is an appropriate scene in it .
    Rip torn walks into the boardroom and ask the board members what do they all think .
    They turn to the camera,,,,( all are kids),,,,and yell,,,,Screw em !
    Nothing against Corvettes,,,,,just don’t like seeing anyone ganged up on .

Tommy

dirty old man, mad mikey and loudbang like this.