Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How did your 401 nailhead fit ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wood remover, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Hey Bangingoldtin .
    Thanks for the look for the yoke , must have missed counted though the yoke are 25,28 and 31 splined , a 25 spline toploader my be a little weak for the torque of the nailhead anyway .
    An all original 64 65 mustang guy looking for correct # will be happy to have it .
    This thread has been a great source of information , just wish I could move along as quickly getting things done , but I am cross boarding shopping .LOL

2. 270ci

270ci

Looking at your frame, is that a Standard coupe you have, or has someone modified it? My 33 Master frame is factory boxed in that area with inner rails riveted inside the outer rails, just like the one pictured in post #3 of your frame thread.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  3. No It is a master , it is actually a 4 door car I am wrecking , but using the chassis for my coupe 20181008_112428.jpg 20150811_215417.jpg

4. 270ci

270ci

So was the frame unboxed at some point? Like I mentioned, I'm surprised it doesn't look like the frame pictured in your other thread.
    Shame you're wrecking the 4 dr....it looks real decent.
    I wonder if those sedan front doors are the same as a 5 window coupe.
    I just happen to be looking for a drivers side (5w) coupe door.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  5. Might be a Canadian thing , don't think the frame has been molested in anyway .
    Frame under the 3 window is cut up badly .
    I do have others but his one is all restored .
    The 4 door is a very solid car , all wood is good through out the car ,floors are good decent fenders ,nice hood and grille , shame to wreck it , but buyers think I should give it away because it's just a 4 door
    Bought it sight unseen as a parts car , so that is what it will become !! The doors measure
    31 3/8 across the lower body line and 44 1/4 top to bottom at the rear of doors .
    20180216_205622.jpg 20180217_001050.jpg 20180217_001045.jpg 20180216_205632.jpg 20180216_205609.jpg 20180216_205642.jpg 20180216_205718.jpg 20180216_205618.jpg 20180216_205646.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    270ci likes this.
  6. The complete car is here , seat ,seat springs all windows and garnishes only missing motor and transmission

7. Canuck

Canuck

In a Model A so a little tighter, but a visual. 425 with SP400. Motor mounts home made using a Ford bisquit cushion. Steering box is Saginaw 525 with cross steer, intermediate shaft is GM Astro van with 3 u-joints and vibration damper/slide joint. Steering column is early 70 GM Van tilt with shortened outer housing.
    Headers are Sanderson. Starter is standard. It is tight. Could be a real problem with the Chevy steering box mount.
    upload_2021-1-13_20-26-47.png

8. Nice clean looking install,motor looks great in painted trim, Very nice Canuck !!!
    Did you make your own alternator mount or is it something that is readilly available ??

9. Canuck

Canuck

This car entirely built at home. Alt bracket was set to clear hood and valve cover while giving max belt adjustment. Alt fan guard idea came from industrial equip and a cover on a asian car with a bit of welding. Air cleaner started as a 4 brl Mopar oil bath unit that had a new base installed out of a Riv, to drop it down and cover carb. Frame doesn't need boxing, made out of 2x5 rectangular tube, 1/4" reinforced plate for steering box mount welded on. Just a retired IT guy that wanted something to do so tried recreating the car I dreamed of at 14. (PS if the lower rad hose would fit yours, I think I still have the number)

10. To early to tell which hose would be required at this point . You did a beautiful job on your car . Can only hope mine comes out as nice .
    I do try to do most things myself but sometimes it quicker to break down and buy stuff .Have a few cars on the go and a few cars finished .building,maintaining, and a 100 yr old house sure eats up time .

11. Building this 34 chev pick up , 3rd engine in it now , originally put the nailhead in it and then my wife wanted it. Out it came and put in a 250 chev , then found a 230 pontiac overhead cam and out came the 250. 20190308_131527.jpg 20170929_213104.jpg

12. If you find a 25-spline yoke to match your transmission, I wouldn't hesitate to run it. As I said previously, you'll break the tires loose before you break an output shaft or yoke.

13. cshades

cshades
    from wi

what did you use for paint on the motor?

14. Canuck

Canuck

Thanks for the nice words, fell in love with hot rods as a young teenager helping a neighbour that did upholstery when he did a A roadster that later received the title "Canada's Most Beautiful hotrod" so tried to copy that but building to todays standards. Car has since been sold and went west to Saskatoon. Revived my ol 64 Malibu and have been driving the wheels off it for the last couple of years. Looking at your pictures, I see what your problem is, "too many cars ;-). Looks like you are getting a good start on the Chevy. My A had Chevy parts in it, dash out of a 34 Master with a custom gauge insert. All that is left of that is one or two dash trim strips.
    Keep safe

15. Canuck

Canuck

POR-15 engine enamel, 1950's Buick Green

16. Always seem to come to a stand still, on one them waiting for something , but they get done
    Good info on the buick green paint , your right though ,too many cars and to many makes of cars . Too many spare parts kicking around .
    All oddball expensive to rebuild motors as well
    Pontiac ohc
    Ford fe
    Ford v8 60 - 2
    37 flathead
    46 flathead
    All are running
    401 buick - 2
    2 model t 4 cyl.

17. Actually, I miscounted. It was 28 spline. All of my toploader yokes are 28 spline. 25 spline must be an oddball, as I thought all of the toploaders had the same output shaft splines. I know that there are 2 input shaft sizes. And I have to agree with Basement Sweeper- that toploader would be fine in that light of a car. My comment the other day was in reference to a light duty tranny, which would probably not hold up. I did find a driver's side exhaust manifold like the one Hamtown Al pictured today.

18. The 25 spline count piqued my curiosity, so after some research realized it was only used in a 64 or 65 Mustang or Falcon and 260/289 powered. You are right, I don't think I would use that rare of a transmission behind the 401.

19. Not so worried that the transmission is rare as I am about finding a yoke for it comes time to address the driveshaft . Have others though .still kinda leaning towards the 50s 3 speed with cable overdrive .

20. John Heimerl

John Heimerl
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Virginia

Good thread, Al. Thanks!

fegsta likes this.
  21. In case you missed it- the 25 spline yoke is available from CJpony parts and Amazon. A little pricey (approx. $100), but in stock.

22. Good to know , Thanks for the info

23. Going to order the mounts for the 401 buick this week from chassis engineering.

24. Al,
    What inch drop did you use? Checked out the CE/Heidts website, and the saddle is made in 4", 6", and 8" drops. The pictures from your build thread appears to be 4". In thoroughly digesting that thread, it looks like the driver's side manifold was out of a 59-60 LaSabre? I found one, but looking at others as I have more room since my car had a straight 8 in it. Maybe I will check out that Ice Cream Shop this summer on my way back from the Virginia Diner.

25. I have measured my engine according to the ce directions , bottom of oil pan to centerline of crankshaft .
    Six inch is about right maybe a little tight if you wanted to get the oil pan off in the car, but 8 inch may hang a little low and interfere with cross steer components . I have the Sanderson center dump headers so I am hoping they will work ..

26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^I used Heidts part no. AS-0504B engine crossmember with 4" drop. Mike Allen at Heidts was very helpful.
    I also ordered SS-0011 Cushion set, motor mount(pr of old Ford style engine mounts) and a set of engine mounts for 58-64 Buick Nailhead, part no. CS-6519. All that was about $200 as I recall.
    I'm not certain what manifold used was from on either side from my notes but I appreciate your identification of the driver's side as that is the most important.:)
    I'm working on a deal to get a big Nailhead for my pickup to use with the switch pitch trans I already have... some of us just can't leave well enough alone!!:D
    I'm glad my build thread was of some use... that was the plan!
    I'm always available for a meet at the Ice Cream Shop!!:D
    Good luck with your build.
    Al

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. Al and wood remover- I have access to some Buick cars from the late 50's and early 60's that I am going to pull all of the exhaust manifolds off of in the next few weeks. I will post some pictures of them afterwards. I too am working on a deal to get a 401 and switch pitch for this project, but am pulling a 364 out of one of the cars as a plan B. The rest of the cars the engines are too far gone.

lothiandon1940 and Hamtown Al like this.
  28. Too bad you are so far , I have a 65 66 nailhead transmission I won't be using not sure if it is a switch pitch but definitely from a 65 66 Buick . Farthest I can bring it is Niagara Falls any further and I will be sent back LOL

29. 65 and 66 were the only 2 years the switch pitch was made. Hang on to it in case my deal does not pan out. Will post pics of the manifolds soon.

30. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4417 (2).JPG
    A switch pitch transmission has TWO contacts on the kickdown switch. The top one sits flat and the one below it is at a 90 degree angle. ;):)
    Centerville Buick guy has options of how to wire it up. You can hear the change in rpm when I put my foot on the brake... the engine revs higher. I wired mine as suggested and typically leave it set to engage the switch pitch when my foot is on the brake... that way it is not trying to leave at a stoplight!;):D
    Hope this helps.
    Al