Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old cars and old tools

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boones, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

We all have old cars or at least an interest in them and we build those cars with tools. Today I had my oldest tool crap out. When I turned 16 I got a basic socket and wrench tool kit for my birthday as well as few hand me downs like a hammer, hacksaw and an old 4" grinder from Montgomery Wards that my Dad had bought back in the late 60 or early 70s. Over the years I have used it on just about ever project I have owned and though not very powerful it got the job done. Guess its time to go buy a replacement, hope it last as long. Now what to replace it with.........

What is your oldest tool you bought or was given.

grinder.jpg

stillrunners and williebill like this.
  2. Have you checked the brushes?

Sandgroper and Wanderlust like this.
  3. My oldest set of wrenches are Glodemaster (made in Japan), I bought at a military surplus store, when I was a young teenager. The set is somewhere on my dad's farm, lost in the hoard of farm repair parts and his collection of tools. I have purchased a replacement set of Globemaster (made in Japan marked) wrenches recently from that electronic auction site. Globemaster tools are also marked with different country origination, such as Italy, Germany, or India. As a young teenager in the 60's, I thought it was goofy to own those wrenches. My brothers and I still laugh about those cheapo looking wrenches. Good times!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1/2 drive set of Craftsman sockets (7/16 thru 3/4), breaker bar, and ratchet in 1964 or 1965 when I was in Jr. High. Engraved my initials on the sockets when I was in the Army in 1972 using an engraver at the post hobby shop. Still have them. I got a Sprunger floor drill press for Christmas a bit later but before we moved to CA in July 1966. Still going strong.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

519E2BD5-757F-4C6B-AFCC-AD7D833773D1.jpeg DBA88366-E196-42CA-8B49-D2AD50EFB11F.jpeg 20181600-33C1-4357-92AF-45E3C559A2EC.jpeg My oldest are Ford stamped Model T wrenches ,1926 bottle jack and these tools. 02BD939A-AA21-41EA-92B3-747EBC5B93F5.jpeg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I have a pair of Sioux buffers from the 60s that were the standard for years. Parts availability finally forced me to look at the newer versions and I haven't looked back.

7. Svenski

Svenski

I have a mostly complete S-K 1/4" socket set my Dad bought new in the '50's as a car mechanic in Lincoln, Nebraska. It's in the original green wrinkle box.

stillrunners likes this.
  8. scotts52

scotts52

Pull the motor. Might cost more than a new one but I'm willing to bet someone can rebuild it or find you a replacement. I guess it depends on how sentimental it is to you.

VANDENPLAS and williebill like this.
  9. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

The Christmas I was 13 (1967) my parents gave me a small Husky 3/8” drive ratchet and socket set in a little plastic case. Within a year I lost the 1/2” socket. About 10 years ago the ratchet wore out. Still have everything else.
    I already owned my first car, a 40 Chevy, at the time and Dad was tired of hunting for his tools.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. Bugguts

Bugguts

I have a small air compressor my father-in-law gave me when I was in high school.
    He remembered his father buying it in 1940’s at the local Farm and Home store. I tried to use it to paint my 1st car. Wasn’t very successful at spraying paint, but it will blow up a low tire.

11. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I would have a look at the brushes, probably nothing wrong with it otherwise

Boones likes this.
  12. This is one that came out of the four for a buck box at a local flea market, a bunch of years ago- 20’s Indian motorcycles.

Attached Files:

williebill likes this.
  13. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

As 36 roadster said please check the brushes, you will probably not find anything that will last as long. Your unit has easily replaceable brushes. If you can’t find exact replacement, im sure you can find something close that can be modified.

14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Ford hub puller from I think the 30's.... IMG_2024.jpg

Binger and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

I got a Monky Wards socket set from Dad in 1974, I still have some of the sockets, and the box. The first power tool I bought with my own money (earned working at the junkyard part time), is a 7" grinder I bought in 1979 from Sears. It still works fine, although I don't use it very often, as I've bought a lot of other sizes of grinders since then.

toolbox.jpg

Sorry to hear about your grinder, hopefully you can bring it back to life.

16. williebill

williebill

Fix it. It belongs in your hands every now and then.

17. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Several old black colored wrenches, multiple hammers and an anvil that my grandfather had and used then gave to my Dad. Now I'm the 3rd generation to use them.

18. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I bought a '60 Imperial last month. While digging through the 100's of Generator brushes in the trunk I found this. Snap-on 1/2 drive. Made in 1945. Others are Plumb, Walden, Vlchek

Attached Files:

• 042.JPG
      042.JPG
      File size:
      78.3 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      79.9 KB
      Views:
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  19. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Got some of the Model T open enders, an old single speed black and decker silver drill and some woodworking tools my father in law had as an apprentice. :)

20. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I have no idea how old this ratchet and socket set is. My Grandpa gave me these 60 years ago when I was 10. They were old when I got them. Says Walden Worchester, pat pending 1930. IMG_0745.JPG

Beanscoot, ss34coupe, fauj and 2 others like this.
  21. cfmvw

cfmvw

I have a very old Craftsman socket that isn't chrome plated, and still have the Craftsman torque wrench my Dad gave me when I was 17. Can't use it now as the ratchet head cracked, but I can't bear to get rid of it. And I still have most of the Craftsman sockets and wrenches I bought when I was building bicycles as a kid. Dad used to give me a hard time about that until I got into cars, then he decided that bikes probably weren't so bad!

Happydaze likes this.
  22. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the chrome plating issue, is there a line in the sands of time somewhere when chrome plating became the norm? I'm particularly curious as about a year ago when at the dump I noted a couple dumping an assortment of old looking tools into the steel scrap. I guessed they were clearing grandfathers tool shed or something like that - how terrible! I'm not a hoarder or skip diver but this seemed wrong to me but its also illegal here to remove other people's waste from the dump. Green society I don't think! Anyway, when they struggled to manhandle a cantilever toolbox into the huge dumpster I thought I'm having that!!! Thankfully it rested near the top and I was able to snag it, after checking for the tip wardens. The contents comprised a number of old, heavy spanners and about 30 new hacksaw blades. And amongst it all were 2 Snap On open ended wrenches 1/2 and 7/16 which are an absolute joy to use! They're beautifully slender and not chromed, hence my curiosity as to likely age.

Chris

Sent from my SM-T515 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. wicarnut

wicarnut

Starting at around 1960 when I was 12 years old my parents started buying me Craftsman tools for my birthday, christmas, etc. I still have these tools and the beam torque wrench still gets used on occasion to double check by clicker torque wrench, also have my Dad's tools, some Snapon from when he owned a service station early 50's. I've always been the guy that if I needed a tool I purchased it, have quite a lifetime collection. I have some of the old model T Ford and some I don't know what they are, again some from my Dad, some I just acquired as they found me. Craftsman Tool owners, For FYI, I recently exchanged some worn out ratchets, broken wrenches, screwdrivers, Still free replacement. no questions asked. Only 1 time when returning a broken breaker bar, I twisted out the square using a 4' pipe, the man stated I must be pretty strong, smiled and gave me a new one. I believe their tools are the only lifetime warranty that I ever used that in fact was good.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    fauj and knucklenutz like this.
  24. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

Graduated High School in '65. Parents asked my if I wanted a class ring. I said no, I wanted a set of tools. Got a craftsman socket set, box ends, and craftsman tool box. Still use them almost everyday. Thanks Mom & Dad!

25. big john d

big john d
    from ma

snap on tools have a date code stamped on them look up snapon date code marks

26. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Having a couple of brass era cars and several in the 20s and into the 30s, I have a pretty good collection of early tools. I have a 2 rim splitters like the one above that every so often I need. I also have several car specific hub pullers, some square sockets and a few specific pullers for gears and such. Also in my pile of stuff there are several display boards lined with old tools my Grandfather put together. As far as everyday tools I have been using the same socket set and other things since I was able to pick up tools back in the late 70s. However I don't consider those tools to be very old since there were fairly new when I started using over 40 years ago. I guess since I put it that way I use many old tools.

27. The oldest tools I have are some flathead Ford engine tools that came with my old 34 truck, but the oldest tool I have ever owned is some open end wrenches my dad gave me which he owned since the 50s. Oldest power tool I have is still a good working ½ inch Craftsman drill I bought new about 1972 or so.

28. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I posted this and didn't think to ask. When did our modern style ratchets and sockets come about? Is the pictured set an example of early junk tools?

29. I have numerous old tools that I inherited from my dad. I used them as a kid, still using some of them now. My dad loved anything with a piston, from hot rods to motorcycles, outboards, hit and miss gas engines, tractors, you name it...

30. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My HS graduation gift in '69 from my parents was a Hurst 3 speed shifter for my '65 Falcon 2 dr. wagon.