Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods No one has scooped this one up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roderick Hazen, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

Price is relative to who is looking at it and how much money they can spend.The really great deals seldom are and most don't have the balls to admit that #1 they would like one but for whatever reason they cant have one or #2 they buy one in their price range and then don't have the time or money or expertise to get it done.I still live by if you don't have anything good to say or add to the conversation MOVE ON.Try and find a buildable 32 anything,all the parts,the place to build it and the TIME and the extra money these days..You can't even get a glass one built for 50,000.Seems there are a lot of opinions about this but you no what they say about opinions.

2. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dunno HRP, I think you just gave ammo to the "Deuce/Stupid Money" camp.
    Other than aesthetics, there is NO REASON to want a 25 louver hood over a 20 louver UNLESS you are a restorer with a late serial # and need the correct hood.
    Both hoods look good and perform basically the same function...but because of rarity, is it REALLY worth 5 or 6 times the money, especially on a car (hot rod) that late serial #s don't matter? It seems like "stupid money" for (bragging rights) aesthetics to me. JMO

3. 6inarow

6inarow

Ah, its listed as a 2 door/5 window coupe. Im waiting for the more rare 4 door/5 window coupe

chopped and X38 like this.
  4. Original and a hot rod?
    What does that mean?

Irish Mike likes this.
  5. They are like the Native American in the old country song, "too many dollars not enough sense" LOL

Funny this is OT but it kind of works. In the '90s the wife and me were at a garage sale in KCMO. As we were looking at old stuff the old guy pushed a pink all original hemi cuda vert out of the garage. he had a 250.00 price tag on it and while I was asking him if he didn't make a mistake this other guy walked up and handed his wife 250 dollars. he had made a mistake when he priced it but that was all he wanted for it.

No one went on the web trying to find out the value they guy knew that the dash knobs were worth that much. If you are gonna buy anything know the value, it takes time to learn I guess but if its a deal it will fly while you are trying to find out.

6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I did a search and found the 2011 thread I referred to earlier. The car had a $30k price tag and there many wondering why it hadn’t sold yet. It was complete with fenders though.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

7. So what you are trying to say is that if someone does not have enough money to buy a political office or agree with you they have no right to say anything. Yep I can smell what you are cookin, you're not The Rock but I can still smell what you are cookin.

warbird1 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  8. You don't know Jack! :D sorry I had to say that.

I don't profess to be a restorer but I do like the idea of my sedan being all original Henry Ford steel.

It's what I like and there is a reason why Henry Ford started stamping out 25 louver hoods because the 20 louver hoods were not doing the job of keeping the car cool in Southern climates.

With me It's primarily about the job it does but also the aesthetics , to me it just looks better and to be honest, If I didn't have one I could never afford one. HRP

[​IMG]

Look at the photo of my sedan, notice you can see the engine, the 25 louvers are turned out at a greater angle than the 20 louver
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    hotrodjack33 likes this.
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

This one that was for sale on FB marketplace here in Alberta was way more appealing to me than the one posted earlier.
    As much as I love full fenders I really liked this Deuce hi boy.
    The asking price was $65,000 Canadian and apparently it has been sold.

I was tempted to go look at it and see what the best price would be for a serious buyer but I didn’t bother being preoccupied with other stuff this past summer.

As we know asking price is quite often different than what the selling price will be.

This car with the 392 Hemi definitely pushed my buttons :cool::D
    9F343794-3E68-485E-AD57-C35D008D70FC.png
    726ED05A-1583-4F97-88B7-1AEE9031D31C.png
    1A781F98-A407-4571-AA2A-EE300AF5B1F1.png
    91850665-B7D9-4667-8A9A-2A33ECB93B25.png
    A2F2C556-844C-4528-A4C7-8492DC357EF4.png
    D3468D0C-7146-4607-AFCA-2762682DDFC1.png

10. grumpy65

grumpy65

Here is what I think is a reasonable response................:D:D:D

Nice enough car. Not exactly my taste, and way outside my budget, so I will just pass, and not criticize.
    I am sure that it will find a good home.

11. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

Not cookin anything,just saying that if I can't aford a certain car or house it's not the guy's fault that has it for sale,I just move on.Only you or me know what we can aford ,our opinion does.nt change what they are asking for THEIR posession,don't get your undies in a bunch over a car that is for sale.

12. My undies in a bunch? really? because your opinion is that mush more important than mine? Or are you just being negative about my opinion? Well surely you are not because if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything, right?

Perhaps take your own advice, scroll on by and don't say a thing. Truth is you don't know what any of us can afford and maybe we are correct this is not a scoop it up price.

warbird1 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  13. I was scheduled to go look at that coupe when my friend decided to sell me back my old five window. The owner seemed like he wanted to get rid of it before putting it in storage for the Winter. The only thing I did not like was the automatic.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Danny, and don't ever say "hi" to me at the airport (hi Jack):eek:
    I understand Henry's switch to 25 louvers, and you are fortunate that your Sedan was a late 32. I guess if I was in that 20 louver situation, I'd just get the hood top punched full of louvers...and still have 5K in my pocket;)

15. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

your right,and good luck in your car building

16. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

I have a block plate for a small block chevy by the way.

17. My late friend and fellow Hamber, Randy Nash was a walking,talking encyclopedia when it came to all the subtle nuances relating to the 1932 Ford, let's just say he was anal about them and he was going to have exactly what he wanted regardless of the price, he sold his 3 window shortly before he passed away and he got a health 3 digit return to the money spent.

Any car built right and attention to detail will sell, there is a seat for every arse. HRP

Budget36, Blue One and hotrodjack33 like this.
  18. Well I don't dislike you and could use the plate. Shoot me a message if you want.

19. Budget36

Budget36

Cant fault someone asking a higher price than what you(third person) would pay. I mean it takes a real asshole to ask 20k for a car, turn it down and say, I’d rather take 25k, and so on.

20. It takes all kinds. I'm sure they're losing money at that price if they paid other people to build it. My thing is i enjoy building my junk as much as i enjoy driving them. And i don't spend nowhere near that much money. But some do. Like i said, it takes all kinds. I smile just as much driving my junk as the guys that drop $100k

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  21. I think that selling is the operative word here.

A lot of us would not consider a turn key because they would not fit our arse perfectly. Perhaps that is what makes most turnkeys not worth the asking. In my time on the HAMB I have seen a lot of cars that i liked well enough. my mind turns to what I would change. I won't name the car but since I have been on the HAMB there has only been one car that I would not change if I owned it. Sad thing is that while is was perfect in every way it would have been a shame for someone like me to own it. It would not have looked nearly as nice after I drove it for a year or two. ;)

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  22. grumpy65

grumpy65

We have to accept that there are two distinct camps here.
    A) The build a hot rod guys.
    B) The buy a hot rod guys.
    Strange thing, we are all here because we want a hot rod, whether it is A) or B). Room for all.

I am in the 'build a hot rod' tribe. For me, it needs to be personal. Just doesn't really feel like "mine" if I haven't truly made it mine. Like @porknbeaner says above, mine specifically need to 'fit my arse'. That just can't happen if someone else builds it.

Budget36 likes this.
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]The Hemmings guy needs to give someone $200.00 to install his hood.

[​IMG]

Hoodless cars look broken. Bob

24. Kind of thinks back to the muscle car era MoPars. The Road Runner for example was a turn key plane jane when they first came out. part of that was so you could do your own thing when it came to wheels and the like.

Just a side trip, some of us in the '90s when we were building a car to peddle would do it all in primer. Mechanically complete. Dial the price of paint and wheels n tires into the price. Then let the people decide on paint color and wheel tire combos. You could ride it and drive it and in a week you could get your car your way (more or less).

Its a little harder when you are building a trad car I guess because so many of the pieces are unobtainium. But maybe that is because we are not building them to sell.

One thing that is hard for me is to keep the mind frame that not everyone is a builder. I guess I should be glad that not everyone is. I have paid the bills a time or two because not everyone can wrench a car or a bike.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  25. Really? Would you hide this 21 stud?
    IMG_6786 (2).JPG

26. grumpy65

grumpy65

And that right there is one of the major changes that has come over time.
    "Traditionally", 30's / 40's / 50's cars were usually modded by amateur owners. Things were a lot more 'hands on'.
    The cool factor of hot rodding has attracted a new breed who, for whatever reason, just want to 'buy in' and drive.
    It has all evolved into today's version, like it or not. Still plenty of room for each to stick to his own plan.

27. I would. :D :D :D

Sorry I just could not pass that one up. We put a 21 Stud in Austin's A sedan. I got s soft spot for them and was really pleased when he found a good one to use.

ct1932ford likes this.
  28. Magfiend

Magfiend

I don't know - I like it, other than the interior, pinstriping and wheels/tires. $52,000 asking could mean $40,000 when you flash the cash...
    Oh, and I'd tuck the generator in somehow so I could run hood sides...

The37Kid likes this.
  29. -Brent-

-Brent-

A complete paint correction would be the best investment to get it sold. A nice correction and polish would make it look worth more.

Right now, it's a bad distraction. Laziness is going to cost the seller 10k+.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. clem

clem

.........lot of things I don’t understand, - including the term “Sosch”.
    Appears that I am not alone, - google doesn’t even understand that one either..........

......(also don’t understand all the negativity on this thread).....:(
    Kind of feel sorry for the new guy that posted, only been here 3 weeks, and only his 9th post.

hotrodlane likes this.