Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1957 Plymouth dual quad set-up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carbking, Jan 17, 2021.

1. carbking

carbking

A few weeks ago there was a thread (and I cannot find it) about a Plymouth 318 dual quad; with discussion of placement of fuel filter, fuel lines, and the manifold heat tube.

The hole for the heat tube (still haven't had time to fabricate one, even though I now have the tooling to do so) is visiable bottom center of the photo.

Finally got to where I could take a picture of my 1957 (you wouldn't believe how much "stuff" is in front of "stuff" in turn in front of more "stuff" here in the shop)[​IMG]

2. 73RR

73RR

Hey! that is the same color as my manifold.....:p obviously, gold paint is the key to HP........

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Turn your camera and take both sides. Thanks

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  4. carbking

carbking

Jimmy - I am technologically challenged when it comes to posting pictures. ALL of these pictures display correctly on my computer!

Maybe turn your computer??? ;)

Sorry!

They are all high resolution. Save an image to your computer and photoshop it in the proper araignment.

Here are the side shots:

Jon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Deuces

Deuces

Nice!....:)

loudbang likes this.
  6. Is this the same setup used on "Christine" in the movie?

Deuces, loudbang and jimmy six like this.
  7. Very nice! Thanks for the pics. I can use them for my 330 Desoto’s dual quad setup.

p.s. Any chance you have an extra choke link rod and lever?

loudbang likes this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Choke rods and levers are pretty much the same on WCFB’s my 2 1953 Olds look like the rear carbs. The slider on the front carb means progressive but by the photo the front rod looks to be on the same level as the rear. Do both fully open?
    Small base but you can see in this photo the front has a shorter throw than the rear if you expand the photo on the links. 08BF3D66-6B18-43A5-A0CC-D4C935BCBEB2.jpeg

Deuces, loudbang and AHotRod like this.
  9. Thanks, Jimmy.
    I’m too cheap to buy a whole parts carb for the little rod. I’ll keep an eye out.
    BTW, what’s the story on the air cleaners? They’re perfect.
    Apologies for drifting off course, back to Carbking’s post.

loudbang likes this.
  10. That last pic is of the Australian version, right Jon? :D

Deuces, mgtstumpy and Blues4U like this.
  11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2021-1-18_13-34-46.png

upload_2021-1-18_13-33-1.png

upload_2021-1-18_13-37-16.png

Here goes, I know about that technology challenge and sometimes struggle myself. I get by and am still learning.;)

12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I had a setup just like that but without the wooden heads. lol

Deuces, stillrunners and loudbang like this.
  13. ^^^^^^^ Thank you MGTSTUMPY.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The bottom or ring that sits on the carb top came from Charlie Price Vintage Speed in Fla. he’s the only guy I found that had the smaller tops. The air filters are Empi VW and the tops are aluminum sauce pan lids from a kitchen supply warehouse near me. I’ve also seem Dominator carb covers used. Summit has them; almost a perfect match to my lids. Both come with center holes. Stainless cake covers are great for a single quad you want to cover.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    hotrodA, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  15. carbking

carbking

X2 on the thanks.

Have had this happen before. I take pictures, and the pictures display correctly before placing them on this forum. I have even tried to turn them and found they display needing to turn clockwise, which I do, and post, and then find they need turning back the way they were???

I seem to bring out the worst in newer computers. :( Maybe that is why I have had so much trouble with electronic ignitions, which seem to average about 35k miles before total failure.

As to the linkage rods: they are not difficult to fabricate (MUCH easier than getting a picture to post correctly)!

Jon

Deuces and warhorseracing like this.
  16. carbking

carbking

Started using the "wooden heads" on stuff in the shop almost 50 years ago. Keeps things from moving around, and prevents paint from rubbing off the bottom of the manifold.

When shipping, used to place a piece of 1 inch plywood in the bottom of the container, and use wood screws to affix the "wooden heads" to the plywood. Keeps the unit centered, and also prevents bottom damage. Have also used 1/8 inch paneling scraps to reinforce the sides of the shipping container. The last thing anyone wants when they order expensive parts is to have them damaged in shipment.

Jon.

17. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had issues with photos being rotated or even upside down in the past when posting directly from my phone. What I now do is email them to myself and place them on my lap top and rotate them to the correct orientation and them save them. I then post the newly saved photos and that seems to solve the problem. Don't know if this will help you or not.

Deuces likes this.
  18. Would you please share the carb numbers with us? They look like 2361S ?

Oldmics

Deuces likes this.
  19. carbking

carbking

Front is 2361s, rear is 2362s. (WRONG - see two lines down!).

EDIT: When you get old you transpose numbers:mad:

Should read Front is 2631s rear is 2632s.

Note the DeSoto and Dodge carbs are all in line with the Plymouth numbers.

As the kiddies say, my bad.

2361s was used only on Mercury.

Anytime you are looking for original carb number documentation before 1975, my website is available.

Plymouth, DeSoto, and Dodge ALL used different numbered carbs on their dual quads in 1957. The Dodge versions were 2633s and 2634s; the DeSoto versions were 2635s and 2636s.

As far as the pictures go, I use Photoshop to edit (border, size, orientation, etc.) and save them to my hard drive. From there, post, and the orientation seems to be random.

Jon.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  20. I find it interesting that those 2361 units were used on so many different engines and such a variety of the auto manufactures . Buick, Mercury,and now Plymouth.

With such varied engine displacements my question would be how did all these differing engines manage to use the same carb???

Oldmics

And Jon - thank you for your informative web site.I am there often seeking info.
    Now if I could just get that Ford EDB blower carb specs from you !

21. George

George

Movie had was a 350 big block.

22. carbking

carbking

Oldmics - sorry about the Holley information, I simply do not have authority to release it. And I got it from a friend at Holley who is no longer there; it is "in-house" only documentation.

Long ago, I acquired written permission from Carter and Rochester to reproduce documentation, and of course, I own what survives of the Stromberg documentation, so I don't need permission.

But Holley ignored my requests. They didn't even bother to refuse! I had really good relations with some of the customer service folks, but not the attorneys.

If you can get me a notarized letter from Holley allowing me to reproduce it, I would be happy to do so.

Jon.

23. Thanks, Jimmy x2