Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ceramic wax spray coatings. Any good? Your results?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Jan 16, 2021.

1. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Out in Youtube land is a guy that did a test of these waxes. He did all kinds of destructive testing to several ceramic waxes. The Turtle Wax stuff won the show by a large margin.
    I don't have the link, but you should be able to search Google under something like Ceramic Wax test, etc...

VR&C.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and fauj like this.
  2. The ceramic spray detailing spray is pretty good stuff. But the multi step process works wonders. A word to the wise, its not for inexperienced paint finish people. I applied it to my silver 63 Vette and it really makes it literally look wet.

I put two coats on it. Took about 30 hours total time. Compared to the detail spray, it is relatively expensive, but in my opinion it was worth it.

Sent from my SM-F900U1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  3. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

If you won't use any oil but Royal purple you probably use "ceramic" polish and could well have a laptop connected to your ECU on the passsenger seat............... just sayin

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  4. jnaki

jnaki

Hey L,

Nice find on a new product for all surfaces on our cars. It seems like another spray and wipe, like most liquid detailers on the market. But, this one takes the application using water/washing first. Spray on water, then a spray of the ceramic wax, then spray more water for a rinse. Most of the videos from Meguiar's requires a wash, spray, rinse step to get the best results. I have been using some Meguiar's products and like what finish they leave, as well as ease of application. But, after reading about the product and watching the videos, I will have to reevaluate the usefulness of the ceramic coating.
    upload_2021-1-17_4-0-31.png

It is not a spray and wipe product, making upkeep on our seldom used cars less work. It requires a shady spot, water and more water. Then the final drying stage, like we all used to do when water and no pandemic was around. This product and those like it seems good, but with the “less is more” attitude in driving around these days, shouldn't a product make it easier to keep a car clean?

It actually seems like the products they use at the mini automated car washes. Rinse, spray soap, rinse, spray wax, clear rinse, dry… except that we are sitting in our cars watching the whole process. Those places allow us to not doing the actual work outside.

Jnaki

I am all for new products to make detailing and sustaining the nice finishes on our hot rods and cars. But, these days, it needs a product like we have been using, that takes less work and less water usage in our "dry state" to make it worthwhile. Spray detailers make our cars shine and somewhat water repellent, while taking less time in order to relax and keep ourselves healthy. Some days we even feel badly about watering our low maintenance desert style, succulents, let alone using a hose to wash our cars or driveways.

So, in these days of less driving, less work and surviving, less work is the key. It is a nice product, but for us, it takes up too much time and water usage that can be used elsewhere, if at all. (like showers, drinking cold water, flushing, and cooking...)

As little driving that we do, the old spray and detail keeps the cars clean and spiffy. We are ok with that. In 2019, I did a whole car(s) application of solid Carnuba Wax like the old days. The Colonite Wax product has the longest outside weather protection that we have ever used on any car or boat. Then the "whenever" usage of the spray detailers does its job of being quick and easy. No water necessary.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  5. ...Who's Dave?

6. Lothiandave1939 1/2
    Hangs out at the Bingo Hall in Waysons Corner.

7. ...Oh yeah, that Dave.

8. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dave.jpg

reagen, fauj, ct1932ford and 9 others like this.
  9. The biggest slice of the Wash-N-Wax piechart is removing all the nano-nasties from the paint surface before you lather on any magic potions. Washing only gets rid of the loose dust and dirt but that still leaves sun-baked tree sap, rail dust, brake dust, and whatever is in bird poop embedded in the surface. Those micro particles aren't individually detectable but have an overall effect of breaking up the light reflection and dulling the shine. Once you have the paint correction taken care of, almost anything you use to seal the paint is going to look great.
    Years ago when I frequented another car forum, there was a guy, who's name I can't recall, who started out doing car detailing as a side business and he parlayed that into working at Meguiar's as the Chief Of The Waxers. He wasn't one of the chemists but he applied all the new stuff and did the testing, etc. when he wasn't doing customer cars. He was the hands-on, face of Meguirr's at the Mecum and Barrett-Jackson auctions, doing demos as well as prepping a lot of the high-end cars. On that forum, he was a font of information about how to get from A to Z the best way. He would explain everything from using clay bar by hand to buffer speed with which pad is good for what and which will cause damage if not used properly. And of course, why the need for all the products. And........ he taught the Meguair's how-to seminars.
    It was an education that I wish I could have retained better than I did. I've got too many holes in my head and it mostly leaked out. :eek:

fauj, Deuces, Blues4U and 1 other person like this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a detailer friend do my 2020 black high country. It is my daily driver and it cleans up easy for a big, black truck. I use silicone blades and compressed air to dry and always silicone-free spray detailer and micro fiber towels. I love black trucks, but they have to be shiny and no cobwebs.

I am taking delivery on a new black, enclosed car trailer in a week or so. 1st stop is the detailer to have the trailer done. I have to park it outside and I think it will make a big difference in caring for the finish.

BTW, that black vette above...wow. That's nice black paint.

Pats55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. 42merc

42merc

Oops, got my black 40's mixed up .

alanp561 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. ........It's all good. Dave's is the nice one.

13. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

The dealer wanted $2500 to ceramic coat my Mini Cooper, I can’t imagine what a trailer would cost!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lothiandon1940 and Bandit Billy like this.
  14. Holy Crap! You guys are freakin crazy. Or I’m just a poor guy with a bucket of water, soap and some paste wax.

15. Disregard that last post, my phone is messing up. I think I was misdirected to the Peble Beach forum by mistake. ;)

fauj, lothianwilly71, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  16. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

cost!

I first saw the multi stage ceramic treatment at a car show and talked at length with the vendor. Done right it is very labor intensive but lasts about five years. We have a Newmar motorhome with very nice well done paint in four different colors. For me to wash and hand wax it takes me two pretty full days. I asked the vendor how much to do the motorhome and he said $5000 which I thought very steep at the time. Further checking on motorhome forums proved he was right on target with other detailers. He did say the ceramic coating is very hard, resists scratch’s from tree branches and makes it much easier to wash because it is so smooth. Would like to have it done just trying to justify cost.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

Unless you are a "paintless dent repair" place, anything bent needs to be knocked out, sanded, etc. Bet the wax won't care;)

18. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

A friend had his Porsche treated with the ceramic process. Once you see the finish up close you will be able to spot cars and trucks so treated on the street. The look is unique and attractive.

lothiandon1940 and Bandit Billy like this.
  19. Oldb

Oldb

I have been using a product called Torque Detail spray wax with good results. I do not think it is a ceramic.
    What I wish I could still get was a product called Astro Shield. No kidding that was the name. I really liked that stuff. Can't find it anymore. And painters hated it as it was hard to remove and caused problems.
    B astro shield.jpg

Deuces, slowmotion and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. slowmotion

slowmotion

My limited experience is, this stuff is pretty freakin' amazing. Especially in the case of DD's, where real world dirt, road grime, brake dust, tree sap, bird shit, etc, are the norm. I've used it on the missus new ride, & my 12yr old truck. Clay barred, paint corrected first. The results were a serious 'Whoa...' moment. Is it all that, and a bag of chips? Give it a try....
    I used the same stuff Junie used.

[​IMG]

fauj, wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I guess Ill chime in.

The ceramics are the latest in protectant and shine stuff... They have their place for sure in the sealant and coatings. I have to say honest reviews, the Meguiars Ceramic Wax shown above is ok. For alot less money Seal and shine is pretty dang hard to beat, gives a nice coating and protects from staining single stage paints for sure. Upkeep is easier on a car that has this on it if you drive it.

I am playing with a new thing from Aerospace 303 called Graphine coating, the overall performace is so far so good. Easy to keep clean and looks stunning still.

Flat black, satin colors etc, you can put the seal and shine on and make those paints less prone to water spots etc, my truck is coated in seal and shine and works great in the wet since I drive this thing alot. This is after 2 years on one application, still beads, just needs to be re applied.

Wax, coatings, protectants, sealants, they all do the same thing, wax only stays so long, so most folks go to these coatings for longevity and laziness.

Attached Files:

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. Wiping with Kerosene was an Old Time "Used Car Dealer Trick" I did it once on a 39 Olds I had in the 50's and made the dull paint look like new. However, the dust would stick to it.

23. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I've been using a Ceram-X CSI polish. man it works nice!
    1 product can cut and polish your car, just change pads. A little learning curve but man it leaves things SLLLIIIICK and shiny! water beads right off.

Using it on new finishes, and using it on my daily driver. I haven't played with other ceramics, but this one works well for me

https://tamcopaint.com/collections/finishing-products/products/ceram-x-polish-kit

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  24. Gman0046

Gman0046

When we bought my wife's Lexus GX 460 SUV new, my friend who is the sales manager suggested we get the ceramic treatment for $600. It comes with a warranty for both the exterior and interior. Figured it was a rip off but said what the Hell. The vehicle is black and stays clean forever. I haven't had the nerve to use the stuff on my collector vehicles shiny paint yet.

25. It will but you are gonna need to buff it first. :D

@lothiandon1940 my neighbor spritzed my bike with some of that stuff when I first rolled it home about 10 or so years back. Now I am not a show car type and unless it got spritzed again while I was asleep it never got spritzed again. Rain, snow, sun, hail (I don't wanna talk about it) it was still shedding water last year when we removed the paint for a different look. So I guess it works well enough.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  26. Be forewarned although these products are extremely hard they will scratch and once scratched the only way to fix is to remove the coating which is another labour intensive expensive process. They cannot be buffed back.

27. jaw22w and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. spanners

spanners

Baking soda was mentioned earlier. The spray painter I worked with did custom spray jobs on motorbike tanks. He only used acrylic lacquer and after cut and buffing he would mix baking soda with water as a cutting compound and finish with talcum powder and water.

29. Another trick for the paste wax aficionados is to sprinkle corn starch on the dried wax then buff it clean.

fauj, wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. 42merc

42merc

Back in the lacquer days the final buff was with corn starch to get rid of the swirl marks.