Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tri-Power Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hd1084, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Anyone running a Vintage Speed Tri-Power set up on a SBC 4 bbl intake ?
    And if so any issues ??

Elcohaulic and Deuces like this.
  2. BJR

BJR

Just buy a real tri power manifold. That other crap never works right, and looks like ass.

19Eddy30, Avgas, swade41 and 11 others like this.
  3. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Wow another guy looking for help acting like an ass.
    Good luck with the attitude.
    Both the guys who have replied have given you good solid advice not opinions.

It’s on you if you don’t listen.

Just don’t come back later asking how do I tune this thing.

5. Blake 27

Blake 27

Judging from your aviator, looking like ass, makes me wonder about your thinking.

6. Deuces

Deuces

Yo fellas!!!!!.... How's about them Lions this year????.... Yeah I think they suck also.... :rolleyes:

7. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

hd -

While I don't have any knowledge of the actual part...I do have a bit of knowledge of airflow.
    Per your second, mostly snarky post - which included this piece of a sentence, (or knowledge on this product.)
    Airflow knowledge fits the bill..!

Make the center carburetor work, leave the outer carburetors as non-working.

I won't go into any of the particulars since you didn't ask for them. I'd imagine that if I did comment further...I'd open myself for further ridicule as others have, despite my knowledge of airflow..!

Mike

9. bchctybob

bchctybob

Common sense will tell you that three carburetors feeding through a single 4 bbl manifold should give you three times the set up, tuning and maintenance headaches but the same or less airflow than a good single 4 bbl. What everyone is try to say is that if you want a good working 3 twos set up, spring for a decent 3x2 intake manifold, if you don’t care how many work, run the adapter with just the center carb working. Those adapters are kinda considered hokey, poser stuff better suited to rat rods and show cars. No offense intended, just an observation.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mad mikey, 302GMC, 40FORDPU and 7 others like this.
  10. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

i had never heard of the thing . cant believe anyone would go through the trouble to build . but im no gynacologist for sure . cant spell either

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve quite a few with the 2 carb set up to look old but not a three mostly on r** r**s. In general I feel they would work as well as an Offenhauser which was a poor design when compared to other manufacturers. The good thing is you can choose the 3 or 4 carb bases and the base intake. I would get divided dual plane for the street.
    Do what you want. Once you have the system working you could always swap it to a traditional 3-2 manifold along with the linkage.

hd1084 and Deuces like this.
  12. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

they look better than i pictured . and if ya cant think of anything good to say

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Lets see, lets compare this :
    IMG_2538.JPG
    To this :
    673DEF56-2518-4393-87B2-16A698D80753.jpeg
    67B1E128-E01E-4D90-A3CB-A1BBCBCDB60A.jpeg

Which one would you pick ? And which one do you think will perform better ?

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Other than for a "trailer queen" I see no reason whatsoever to try this setup even if somebody gave it to me!:confused:
    Three 2 bbls have less airflow capacity than most modern SINGLE 4bbls:eek:

15. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You forgot to figure in the "gee whiz" factor of 3 x 2s. You are correct about the airflow capacity but that does not matter to me very much. Larry  (9).jpg

The round shiny object at the right front helps keep the noise down in the car.

16. You can find a real 3x2 intake for $150, the rest of your items are all the same, I would just save a little more cabbage to spring for a real 3x2 intake, then you know everything is going to work together as one harmoniously unit.

17. Took your advise and bought this set up. Just arrived today. Thanks

thumbnail_IMG_0153.jpg

18. BJR

BJR

Good move, I am sure you will be much happier with what you bought than the fake set up.

jimmy bruns and Deuces like this.
  19. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Now you are on the right track to Learn
    Triple Tunning , Lost of notes , experimenting.It will pay off Once you get it figure out. It will run Ok !
    A Real try power set up from GM was Designed specifically for certain camshafts , Head's Engine combinations. There was a lot of expensive engineering for tri-power engine combos.

mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  20. I can emphasize with the attitude.
    It can be frustrating.
    In their own way EVERYBODY here is trying to help you.

mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  21. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I played with with 3 carb's set up , On 3 different Motors 2 of them pretty much stock , cam's little over stock. spent many Hrs
    One was a Flat head, (94s)other SBC 327.(2Gs) both Ran Ok!!
    Then I tried 3 2Gs on a 327 10:5-1 Heads, 300-500 cam working off center cab, That where I spent many hrs experimenting, I was not successful to get to run correct, To my standards !!
    I pulled 3 carbs off , tried 4 carb set up 2Gs independent Much easier to accomplish what I was doing

22. Right on, what did you get, Edelbrock 357 B and Rochester's ?
    I still haven't dived into the one I bought that had closed off boogered up end carbs but I will when I catch up on other projects.

23. jimmy bruns

jimmy bruns
    from Chatsworth

Good idea swapping to a real Tri Power intake... As far as the tuning it shouldn't be as hard as everyone makes it out to be. I run 6x2 Progressive on my built 324 olds and was told the same thing all the time "good luck tuning it" its definetly a process but once you got em set up you shouldn't have to fuck with them much..

24. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Ran many 3 X 2 setups on SBC. Love your choice. Yes, you can always run a single 4 barrel and get up to 1100 cfm
    if you want, but a 3 X 2 setup still looks cool. It's your car, do what YOU want. I never had an issue with tuning
    them either, and this was before tools like UniSync were available to help tune multiple carb setups. I just disconnected the progressive linkage on the two outer carbs and then adjusted each carb individually. On a
    factory setup, the two outer carbs had no needle valve adjustments. Once that was done, I reattached the
    progressive linkage, making sure that the two outer carb throttle plates were completely closed at idle. Why
    block off them off? The whole purpose of the setup is to be able to stomp it! Have fun!

mad mikey, X-cpe, Elcohaulic and 4 others like this.
  25. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The quote for the day!

26. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Very nice.
    I’m really looking forward to getting my new air cleaners from Dennis at O’Brien.

Deuces and hd1084 like this.
  28. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

LOL... A/C on a hotrod. "Chainer"

Deuces and hd1084 like this.
  29. High test 63

High test 63

IMG_20201231_121750065~2.jpg just bought one off the classifieds for the new mill I'm building for my roadster. Can't wait to get it all together and start tinkering.

Deuces likes this.