Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How I hate a welding helmet..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by verde742, Apr 9, 2020.

1. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I had no luck with YesWelder helmets. Bought via Amazon, the helmet itself seemed nice enough, but the shipping box is too small and smooshed the helmet. It was too narrow across the temples, and hurt to wear.

After exchange, and the same problem, I returned it and went with one from Dekopro. Seems to be basically the same helmet, the controls are slightly different. Comes in what looks like the same box. Probably made in the same factory. The important difference is that the YesWelder helmet ships with the headgear installed, so it doesn’t fit in the box correctly. The Dekopro ships with the headgear in a bag, so it doesn’t get screwed up by the box.

[​IMG]

The larger viewscreen is nice. It auto darkens quickly. The headgear is kinda cheap, but you can reportedly swap better headgear in from one of the big brands.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I haven’t had that problem. Possibly you could swap to better headgear. What helmet are you using?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. 6sally6

6sally6

Come on Bones..........you ain't gotta crank-it-down until you cut off the circulation to your brain!
    I mean....you ain't flipping it up & down anymore! Set it on your head and just gently tighten it down SOME!!!
    If you are under a car or hanging over the side just steady it with your free hand (unless UR tig welding them you're on your own);)
    6sally6

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Dave, not real sure, I don’t do much welding anymore. I have several out in the shop. While we were on vacation with friends, his motor home broke a hydraulic fan mount, but he knew there was a problem and brought a 110 Lincoln mig. I used his helmet, but it sucked, don’t know what brand it was. I was reaching out at arms length to fix this thing. Finally took the lens out and held that!
    Then my son wanted me to weld on his trailer, he had a helmet that had a rubber strap holding the head gear, that my professional welder brother in law gave him. I was ready to throw that thing before I was done, but the other helmet was way too bright for me.
    I know I have had Huntsman head gear before.
    Maybe it’s my head! There I beat you guys to that one! Lol

Bones

5. leon bee

leon bee

A week ago I was browsing the same amazon pages as David above. I don't like amazon, but don't like driving 75 miles to find something, either. Anyway, I bought the black helmet says Lincoln on it. Just has the small window. Got here in 2 days and it's by far the best helmet I ever looked through. Cost about $90 to my door, we'll see how it lasts.

6. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After years of using Harbor Freight junk helmets I broke down last week and bought a Miller Elite auto-darkening helmet. The head band is different than anything I've seen before and actually fits comfortably around my oddly-shaped melon, and the large lens is fantastic, I can see!!

7. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I seem to be different from most of the guys posting here. My first auto darkening helmet was a very expensive Swiss made Optrel, but the rechargeable battery inside eventually failed. This battery was potted into the lens block and I ruined the assembly trying to excavate the stupid battery.
    Now I have a really cheap "good enough" unit, I won't feel so bad when I have to throw it away.

The sellers rarely mention that the "Solar powered" helmets actually have a rechargeable battery inside, and when that battery eventually fails, it better be possible to change it or the helmet becomes trash.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Your all weird. :D

seb fontana likes this.
  9. WalterVandervort

WalterVandervort

Because my budget was small, I went to Tekware auto darkening welding helmet. I really like the viewing area of it, automatically darkens quickly

10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In regard to your original post, I have used a leather cape hood for welding in some damned near impossible places to get into. They're not really good for anything else.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. wicarnut

wicarnut

Buy yourself a good auto darkening helmet with changeable corrective lenses as needed, not that expensive today IMO. Many Years Ago I bought one of the first auto darkening helmet, very expensive, I always seem to flash myself striking arc and flipping shield down, too uncoordinated I guess. All good for a while, then gave myself the worst flash/burn of my life, the batteries were going away which slows auto feature, never felt anything for a few hours, but then a trip to ER. I called the manufacture, big name brand and their answer, always put new batteries every 8 hours of use or after sitting for awhile, what a Croc. not anywhere in directions or from sales when purchased, but I did use it that way and eventually replaced with a new one when prices came down, welding was not my business and the equipment sat around majority of time. Will say I do not weld anymore but even with a new helmet back then I still replaced batteries often, One big time flash burn was enough for me.

12. unfinished

unfinished

Yes and I also enjoy the shows that paint the car overnight an go right into assembling it the next day. Heck the fumes would be overwhelming

chryslerfan55 and wicarnut like this.
  13. Koz

Koz

I have a notoriously bad habit of tacking without a hood. To save a few seconds dropping my hood I have pretty much ruined my eyes and just yesterday I had a potential Melanoma removed from my face. Just ain't worth it to save a client a few cents. I have a good hood and I just need to get used to having it on all the time.

14. This hood is auto and works well it tight places.
    IMG_0120.JPG IMG_0121.JPG

15. verde742

verde742

what brand is it ?

16. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I’ve learned to spot my work with a bright lcd flash light. Works well for me

17. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

I guess I’m an old weirdo. Never had or wanted an auto dark helmet. My helmet shade 11 is older than my last 4 dogs ages added together. I always felt if you can touch your nose or your toes in the dark you shouldn’t need a auto dark helmet.

18. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You don't know what you're missing out on until you use one!

19. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Just bought myself a new autodark, when the old one crapped out. It's a bargain at under 100$, Yeswelder brand. It had a wide view area, though the sides don't darken, and has "Clear View" which REALLY makes a difference!

20. @1956 F100, where did you get the shield you posted? One thing I'd watch for if welding too long with it, is the potential for sunburn on the forehead.

21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Its funny how many problems people have with their welding helmets but won't spend a reasonable amount to get a decent one. Clearview is a big improvement. A decent headgear is actually comfortable. Lightweight is nice and replaceable batteries should be a must. You can get a Lincoln Viking 3350 on line for about $220........I'm tellin ya,yer gonna love it!
    https://www.weldingstore.com/produc...cTG783xIPTnSuP01gNvnj9S5N2e8aS9caAnMqEALw_wcB

22. Algoma56 Typically we us a welders cap under it. It works great when working in tight places such as under the car. It came from Yeswelder.com

23. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

$100 bucks or so!