Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Intermediate starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldoginMd, Jan 16, 2021.

1. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

You Rock !
    Carb fixed......check
    TDC fixed .....check
    Now Starter problem ....

When the (project) car sits for a day starter will roll over with the key a couple of times then nothing
    The same thing happens with the remote push button hooked directly to the starter posts.
    It will ALWAYS turn over when posts are crossed with a screwdriver.
    Engine is not hot or warm
    Battery is unhooked between tries

What should I be looking at for the fix ?

Thanks Dan

Can not delete so link ?

TDC thread

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tdc.1217443/#post-13902409

Carb thread

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...problem-no-squirt.496401/page-2#post-13891142

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  2. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

Couldn’t figure delete 1940

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

(Battery unhooked between tries )
    Have your battery and charging system checked.
    Sound like an easy voltage/amperage issue.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

Seems like a weak solenoid. But clean all battery cable connections first, both positive and ground

5. squirrel

squirrel

title of the thread

Intermediate

I think he means "intermittent"

you can start replacing parts, or you can do some voltage checking....

jaracer, Petejoe, X38 and 4 others like this.
  6. How is the starter trigger circuit wired? Does it have a neutral safety switch? Clutch safety switch? This problem could easily be tracked down by checking for power to and then through each switch and relay. Is it a GM type starter with a mounted solenoid? Ford type with a moveable pole shoe? Remote mounted solenoid? Use a headlight with one lead connected to ground, the other on the trigger wire at the solenoid, then activate the starter. I say headlight because bad connections will light a test light, but not pass enough amps to activate the solenoid. A headlight draws enough amps, if you have a bright headlight when trying to start, no starter action, (assuming a GM type starter), then the starter and/or mounted solenoid are the culprit. No headlight, this indicates problems between starter and key.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

:p

8. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

A few quick measurements should tell you exactly how far you have correct voltage, and that in turn tells you where the problem lies. I'd guess the solenoid (assuming the control voltage to it is good) as bypassing it always works.

9. goldmountain

goldmountain

Since you are disconnecting the battery all the time, check your battery connections.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll add on both ends of the cables.
    The ground cable to the engine needs CLEAN BARE SHINY METAL to make decent contact and carry current and paint is a great insulator. I've gone out to look at more than one "just got it together and can't get it to crank good" engine that had so much paint under the ground strap that it wouldn't carry current good.

11. jaracer

jaracer

What is the voltage at the sol terminal when the starter switch is engaged and the engine won't crank? That will give you an idea of where your trouble lies.
    Battery voltage; the trouble is in the solenoid or the connections at the solenoid.
    Substantially less than battery voltage; the problem is in the wiring between the starter switch and the sol terminal. It could even be the switch or the power feed to the switch. You can verify that by checking voltage at the both sides of the switch when the switch is turned on and the starter won't turn.