Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Hoodless daily-driver? "Yes" or "heck no"...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flynn's_57, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

I saved my '57 Ford customized front-end after "the 2018 fire" because it wasn't completely destroyed.
    But, my '58 hood warped with more waves than a flag on a windy day (SUCKS!)
    (^exaggeration^ to illustrate a point,)

I'm sick of flavorless new shit, so I'd like to drive my '58 daily
    (IN THEORY,).

Inline 6, dual carbs.
    That's cool, I want to show it's guts off.
    Remind people we USED to drive cars worth remembering,

Cars that didn't "beep" about every stupid thing on the road, or every stupid thing to be remembered.

But, weather, creeps, the elements & other things got me SCARED of running nekkid.

Running hoodless must mean "more problems",,,,,,,

Is it worth it?

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ahh, the fast-track to everything getting stolen, vandalized, or both.

3. atch

atch

Skiñy fendered rod do whatever you want. After mid 30's they just don't look right.

Daily or trailer queen; doesn't matter. Regardless of other concerns.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  4. Years back I drove a OT Nova hoodless (blower, dual quads) as my daily for a couple years. In all that time I only had to fire three warning shots....

5. I have never really run completely without a hood, but did have a big hole in one with a couple carburetors sticking through it. It was my daily at the time, and I know I stayed nervous about someone either stealing stuff off it since it was just too tempting, or someone dropping something in a carburetor. As long as you don't have to leave it parked places that you would have to be concerned, might not be a problem. Well, other than stuff like rain. I do have a good friend that has been driving his 46 Ford hoodless daily for years and doesn't seem to have enough issues to want to put a hood on it...

Photo credit to Travis "Royboy" Scanlan.

SteveCook3.JPG

6. 81C737E1-1062-4A18-BF7B-2F17AE3A1D06.jpeg E1BCA0FF-46D8-44FD-AEC7-B80176B9D630.jpeg 47C5BE10-BDC0-4E87-A1D1-2F314F20C2AB.jpeg 81C737E1-1062-4A18-BF7B-2F17AE3A1D06.jpeg E1BCA0FF-46D8-44FD-AEC7-B80176B9D630.jpeg 47C5BE10-BDC0-4E87-A1D1-2F314F20C2AB.jpeg Have run no hood for years. Car is driven often year round cause weather in s Texas is pretty mild overall. Enjoy “showing” a gr8 looking Flatmotor to the masses,especially the younger crowd. Try to “school” younger crowd to think of a Flatmotor as 8 cylinder lawnmower/Head is merely a cover for the engine—-valves are in the block.

7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was my daily for 18 years, I even drove it through a tropical storm coming back from the HAMB Drags one year. Mushroom air cleaners keep the water out, other than that, let her fly.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

8. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

This is a highly subjective topic, like many in the hobby. If you like the no hood, rock it. I personally think full fendered cars look funny without a hood. A's and the like are a different story. But I can't imagine driving my shoebox around without a hood on it....

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I agree. 35 and earlier, OK. 36 and later, not so much. I have seen a few exceptions, but not many.

10. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'd be hunting for another hood, don't think a 57 Ford would look good without a hood unless it was a gasser styled car. Definitely not right on a mild custom.

Flynn's_57 and guthriesmith like this.
  11. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have every chrome part that I could find for my engine, but I'm still going to have a hood on my T.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Flynn's_57 and guthriesmith like this.
  12. j hansen

j hansen

Skärmavbild 2021-01-15 kl. 19.56.26.png Saw this 2016 ,,,,,thought it was a funny. IMG_7954.jpeg

wicarnut likes this.
  13. Well I lived in Redding Calif for about a year. it rains there sometimes. I was driving a hoodless model A that was not only hoodless but it also had louvres on the roof and deck lid.

Just drive it.

wicarnut and Flynn's_57 like this.
  14. Nope. No way. Not happening. Too many sticky fingers or just plain ah soles out there. Hood for me thanks.

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  15. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

I don't run a hood on my '50 Ford F1 because it is a Tow Mater "look-a-like". And Mater doesn't have a hood. I am running a 302 and used a very large cake pan for the air filter top. I have been in rain so hard that I had to pull over, but the engine never missed a lick; the air filter top covers the distributor. Since the truck always sits out, I would set a hood on it only if there was a chance of snow or if I wasn't going to drive it for awhile. Up to a couple of years ago, I drove it nearly everyday, rain or shine. Ron

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  16. inaford30

inaford30

I ran a 72 Nova hoodless as my daily driver here in midwest rain or shine. Was problematic with points distributor but not with HEI, also wanted to overheat on hot days. I figured out hoodless messed with airflow across the radiator.

Sent from my SM-J7008 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

porknbeaner and Flynn's_57 like this.
  17. << I like mine with the hood top on and the sides off. It does get wet once in a while and I have to spray out the distributor cap and plug wires. Been driving it that way for 13 years.

On a big car like yours probably not...

wicarnut likes this.
  18. mike bowling

mike bowling

wicarnut likes this.
  19. depends on the car .. Myself .. I'm a hood guy.

20. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Lift the rear of the hood a few inches like they used to do on the drag strip...

21. clem

clem

A picture without a thread is hopeless, - a thread without pictures even more so .........:)
    to OP, - maybe post some photos of what you have would help us to decide for you............?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    guthriesmith likes this.
  22. His hood is rumpled. It is more out of necessity then for style

23. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

This is the front-end (not the car). It's going on a '58 Edsel w/a big Ford inline 6 and dual-carbs
    [​IMG] Camp-Fire-Justins-4905 (2).jpg
    ('58 Edsels only had V-8's)

Also, I love strait-sixes in '50's & early '60's cars, and multiple carbs look killer.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  24. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

[​IMG]
    If I decide to run hoodless I'll pull the latch & hinges also,

25. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got a picture of the hood?I may have one.

26. 34Phil

34Phil

[​IMG] I was looking at tri-groove nuts for my hoodless build with a dragster scoop.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  27. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

[​IMG]
    This is the front-end I'll be using- I might just sling a heavy coat of Bondo on that '58 hood & not worry about sprucing up the engine bay... Or I might try searching out a '57 hood also...

28. gene-koning

gene-koning

My 1st hot rod was a 35 Dodge 2 door sedan. I'd just got it together, it had the hood top, but no sides. We drove the car to a show 1200 miles from home, while it was still in primer. Someone at the show pulled the plug wires off the driver side of the motor. I was only able to find 3 of the 4, and ended up driving to a local auto parts store to buy a set of wires and a plug. That was in 1995.
    That was the last car I had without a fully enclosed hood.
    Bondo up the one you have. Gene