Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects NOT THE TYPICAL '30 ROADSTER BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roll of the dices, Jan 1, 2019.

1. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

imo... you should have no problem not running a front plate ...
    but i would keep it in the trunk with the current stickers attached...
    also in ME. they had smaller plates for lower #s... i have one that starts with a zero...
    #02-xxxx ... 1930, ME.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  2. Thank you Bread!

loudbang likes this.
  3. I will be taking a few things to chrome next week, so I figure I try and remove a few dings from the fog light ring.
    I am not good at removing dents on a body panels, so this is something I was avoiding as much as possible; hell, I even tried finding a new replacement to buy but I was out of luck. I was so afraid to bang this thin noodle out of shape....

So I took my time....Lots of sanding, small taps with the body hammer and a wood form, permanent marker as guide coat...one ding at time and no rush
    thumbnail_IMG_6898.jpg

It started to look better and not deformed :)
    thumbnail_IMG_6901.jpg
    More permanent marker, more cross sanding, more little taps....

thumbnail_IMG_6900.jpg

Looks good!!! No more dings....almost ready for chrome
    I am now ready to climb the Everest! Well, I might wait until I finish the headlight rings :)

oliver westlund, Tim, brEad and 4 others like this.
  4. Not a bad idea. I can keep bracket and all in the trunk. Should be easy to mount in a pinch with a bolt and butterfly wing nut.
    Love YOM plates and '30 CA plates are my 2nd favorites. 1940's with the round corners are my favorites.
    I like the Yellow background/black letters...subtle but they pop!

plates.jpg

5. Jeff34

Jeff34

Great work! I put my front plate between the grill and radiator. You can still read it, but not sure if it’s completely “legal”.

View attachment 4937146

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  6. A few years back I kept seeing plates mounted on the front spreader bar but in a horizontal position between the bar and the radiator. Difficult to see when viewing from the front until you walked up on the vehicle. Perhaps in those states the DMV law only read "plates must be mounted front and rear". Never asked so I do not know the answer.
    Plate in the trunk could result in a citation but plate mounted flat in front is at least mounted in the front albeit not terribly visible. Could always blame the wind for pushing it into a horizontal position:rolleyes::):)

loudbang likes this.
  7. Thanks Jeff, that is not a bad option. Might have to fold the plate some since YOM plates are long.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Interesting! I hadn't thought of that. That sounds good!

loudbang likes this.
  9. The perfect day!
    I opened my mailbox and they were there just waiting for me....

thumbnail_IMG_6905.jpg

I broke perhaps the #1 rule....don't start working on your project; unless, it is fully registered.
    Well, I did it, I spent over 2 years and a lot of $$$ before getting it registered. No special reason other than procrastination. Me just being done, I had an to of state title, clear YOM plates and someone to verify the car.
    I had registered my '29 Model A before, my '36 truck before that, and my '51 chevy before that, so i thought it was going to be just as easy....Wrong!

Don't want to turn this post into a how to register your car....However, when I went to register mine, the person that I had used in the past for Vin Verification was no longer doing it, DMV had no appointments available only walk-ins, because of COVID, and those lines are huge too long...and my car, well, it was sitting in pieces and far from finished. Most Vin Verifiers I called didn't appreciate the stage of my roadster for verification.
    My Missouri title was not making things easier...Something about needing to be notarized at time of the sell.

After knocking on a few doors and a few phone calls later, I found a company that specializes in old car's Vin Verification -pre 1978-. They do the complete process and the best part is that they do it super fast. In my case, I had my plates and registration within 24 hrs. A bit pricey but worth every penny and beats standing on line at the DMV.

They don't do the YOM plates process but I can handle that one myself and will do once DMV's madness becomes easier to deal with.

Moral of the story....don't wait! Get it registered and in the system asap before you start working on it.

10. 33Doll

33Doll

It’s been a year and I still haven’t the 33’ transferred in my name due to stupid Ca. DMV and Covid!
    Took nine months to get the personal plates I ordered LAST February.
    All because I wanted to keep the 33’ doll plates! My Pops got rid of!
    You have to have them in order to get off it “ off”non-op in order to transfer the car in my name and then put it back on “on”
    non-op!....stupid!! Screw them and their front plate law also!

(Can you tell I hate this state!That me, Pops, and Gramps were born in!)
    Sorry for the Vent! Ca. Gov’t is a real sour subject with me!

11. Glad you got your registration squared away. That is always a great obstacle to clear!!

loudbang likes this.
  12. I am with you. There is a lot of red tape here in CA
    I am always jealous when I hear how easy it is in others states to sell transfer or add plates to a car.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Amen to that! Lately, it was keeping me up night.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Today was another good day! Drove by DMV and the line was super short, only a half a dozen folks in line. Inside the building was another story.
    I lined up and got my YOM plates application in. Funny, right after I got in line, the line started getting longer and longer...meant to be!
    By the time I was out, there was maybe 50 people waiting in line. Took me 1.5 hours, in and out.

I had the lady at the counter give me a copy of the completed application....She was having such a hard time completing the process and her Supervisor was just as lost as she was. They pulled the large book and still couldn't figure it out.
    I am sure Sacramento is a going to send it back and I will have to do another trip to the DMV office but at least is the ball is rolling.
    Good thing my plates were still clear....I bought them cleared over 2 years ago and I was afraid the number could be taken by now.

Fingers crossed...maybe in a few months I can have my '30 plates on.

15. M42

M42

This is how mine went and I feared the worst, but the tags eventually came in the mail.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Before I moved 10 years ago, l lived in small town. Same town I grew up in. Tax Assessor ( department that issues plates in Tx) had a annex in our town. There is only two towns in the county and we were not the county seat. Only one woman worked the annex, so she was pretty good at knowing all the laws even on odd stuff like YOM plates and rebuilder titles. I went to school with her husband and my brother went to school with her. So when I came in, we were on a first name basis. Registering cars was pretty easy then. I miss Monica, all government agencies should perform this smooth.

17. @M42 Putting the faith back me. Thank you!
    Let's hope that is the case with mine

loudbang likes this.
  18. Agree. Unfortunately, customer service at most government agencies seems to keep going down hill at a very fast pace. It is a shame because their job seems easy enough for the most part and the pay is always good.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Crossing things out of the do list before taking frame fully apart.
    Today was about getting the parking brake cables located and measured so I can order them. I will be using Control Cables Inc.

Started by mounting the junction bracket to the side the transmission. Used a aluminum block to aligned the parking brake to the junction block and keep the cable working level. Not sure if necessary but don't want the cable binding.

thumbnail_IMG_6940.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6939.jpg

Passenger side will be an easy run. cable will be secured to X-frame with line clamps.
    I a, going to drill and tap those holes now.
    thumbnail_IMG_6935.jpg

The driver side will go over the driveshaft, secured to the body's cross member and secured again to the X-frame.
    thumbnail_IMG_6937.jpg
    Looks like it should work.
    I will take a trip tomorrow to Control Cables and get them ordered.
    Another one crossed off the list.

brEad, loudbang, 33Doll and 1 other person like this.
  20. 33Doll

33Doll

Thanks for the visual! That’s exactly how I was gonna do it! I want to have the complete chassis, together and done before I mount the body. I have a similar cable kit. But I am going to hook it up to the stock hand brake. Then mount the cable crossing over the drive line to the bracing on the floor of the body when I put it on for good!
    I want all the brakes plumbed, bled, and working first. And gas tank lines, fuel pump all running to the front.
    Lot easier to work on with the body off!

loudbang likes this.
  21. That's my plan too. I want to get everything ready and going before putting on the body.
    A lot easier to deal with things having the body off.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    oliver westlund and loudbang like this.
  22. One of those days...I decided I would build a bracket to support the parking cable in front of the handbrake before the junction block. Just the way Lokar does it.
    As always traced on cardboard, measured twice, cut once, and weld once. thumbnail_IMG_6944.jpg

Once spot welded I was excited to test it...Crap! I never cycled the handbrake. It would have worked perfectly if I had no plans to ever release the handbrake. Too short!

Round 2, traced, measured twice, cut once, weld once
    thumbnail_IMG_6948.jpg

Much better but now it was close to 1pm and I still wanted to drop off my parts so the cables can be made and the driveshaft cut.

thumbnail_IMG_6949.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6950.png
    The driveshaft....I figured I could remove one end of the driveshaft by grinding down the weld and tapping it out. I could cut it to size re-insert the end again and let the driveshaft shop weld it and balance it. Damn, was I wrong!
    I grind and grind and grind some more...the seam was never noticeable, I never cut across, it was fused solid. WTF! Yes, I disfigured the end and still was not able to cut it open.
    Round two, cut it about six inches in, so the driveshaft shop could still size it and put a new end to it.

I hit the road, 2pm. 45 miles away in LA traffic...maybe an 1hr and 30 mins. Place closes at 4:30pm....No problem, I got this. Wrong again!
    Bumper to bumper traffic. GPS says 2 hrs....I am determine, so I keep going. At 3:45pm I called the place and they tell me they are closing 4pm, due to Covid, but they will way a few minutes.
    I get to Cable Control at 3:57pm, with 3 minutes to spare.
    The people there are so cool. They look at all my parts, the layout, and said, no problem...but....you don't need that bracket. It looks cool...you could used it...they said, but you don't really need it.
    Yes, the bracket I spent half my morning making...I heard, less part, less chance of failure. Let's get rid of the bracket!

Cool! I will have the new cables by Tuesday/Wednesday. It is now 4:10pm...Hit the road!

Now on my way to the driveshaft shop with 10 minute drive and they close at 5pm....I got this! Wrong, yet again!
    Accident on the freeway, an 18 wheeler blocking a few lanes and the very next exit seems hours away...just crawling my way as slowly as possible.....
    Reached the driveshaft shop with 10 minutes to spare!

Super cool guys! Looked at my driveshaft with the end cut off and didn't even blink. Check the size I wanted, ordered the end I need and it will be ready by Wednesday of next week.

Hit the road back home! So happy knowing very cold beers...many beers... are waiting for me....
    Crossing off two more things from the list and one step closer.

I am really enjoying and learning a ton with this build, wouldn't change a thing.

23. bubba55

bubba55

Omar you've come so far with this build and done so well - thanks for sharing - I'm still working on my 30 Coupe still and can relate that this hobby is a great therapy and a money pit to boot - keep up the good work
    Bubba

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Jrs50 and loudbang like this.
  24. Thank you Bubba! I appreciate the kind words. How's the '30 coming along?

loudbang likes this.
  25. thumbnail_IMG_6965.jpg

Parts all over the place...frame is fully apart again.
    Got my powder from All Powder Paints and I am getting ready to take a trip to powder coater...

oliver westlund, loudbang and Jrs50 like this.
  26. bubba55

bubba55

Morning Omar - well lets say that I've never put on and taken off fenders so many times - one of my friends said - you're a wuss if you have fenders - I say you're a wuss for not cause they are a PITA - me 30's coming along getting it closer together for the first time - stay safe and take care

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

TigerFan, brEad and loudbang like this.
  27. Lately, I've been noticing some nice 30-31's with fenders and I got to admit they look good...big and littles tuck really nice inside those fenders.

oliver westlund, brEad and loudbang like this.
  28. Dropped off all the parts for powder coating. Next time I see them, they should be Argent Silver with a coat of clear.
    Anyone with powder coating experience...how may pounds of powder would I need to the parts below?

I might detail the front axle and wishbones with some pinstriping....Wondering if I can learn to run a few lines or should I let someone that knows what they are doing do it for me?

Any one doing pinstriping in LA/SFV. Any recommendations?

thumbnail_IMG_6966.jpg

29. I got my parking cables and driveshaft back.
    Both, Driveshaftpro and Control Cables did a great job. I would recommend them on heartbeat. Did exactly what they said in the time they said. I really enjoy working with people like that.

thumbnail_IMG_6972.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6973.jpg

Yes, I couldn't resist giving the driveshaft just a little polish and get rid of the sticker. Hopefully, it doesn't;t make it look too much like a street rod.
    Driveshaft is already balanced so noting to abrasive, just some elbow grease and bit of Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish.
    That Mother's stuff is some good stuff. I was impressed with how easy it polishes.
    thumbnail_IMG_6974.jpg
    A little Before...

thumbnail_IMG_6976.jpg
    ...and After

thumbnail_IMG_6975.jpg
    It should contrast very nicely with the Washington Blue and the polish break lines...

30. 33Doll

33Doll

Looks Awesome!
    This my favorite polish! Years ago at the state fair inside demo-gimmick section. I said ill try it!
    15 years later.....!
    Polishes everything! Even plastic headlights!
    IMG_1051.JPG