Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Route 66 TV Series

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I liked the two episodes they did in Pittsburgh. They really show a lot. They even put the Vette on the South Side car lift... Climbing that hill was too much for those old trucks fully loaded.. Pittsburgh has the steepest roads in the country..

seb fontana likes this.
  2. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

This Photo was taken while Filming in Carlisle Pa
    It was at the Westminster garage on Rt. 641.
    Kind if a big deal for little Carlisle at the time.
    Dave

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

bchctybob, wraymen and Ford52PU like this.
  3. lowrd

lowrd

Was the truck a camera/equipment vehicle? Older GMC maybe.

4. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

Bobby Troup did the vocal "Going to get my kicks on Route 66".

5. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

Sorry. I see someone beat me to it.

6. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ooh, Bobby Troup... Dr. Joe Early on Emergency! and in real life married to “Dixie” (Julie London). Dixie was hot.

Troup wrote the song “Route 66”.

john

SS327 likes this.
  7. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I was thinking earlier this week about TV shows from the era we espouse here. I'm not even that old and I grew up on a lot of these shows. I've never seen route 66, but leave it to beaver was something I watched a lot as a kid. Andy Griffith as well. What other shows were popular in the era?

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Other TV series?

Father Knows Best
    Patty Duke
    Combat
    The Munsters
    The Addams Family
    The Real McCoys
    Lassie
    Stoney Burke
    Man from Uncle
    Time Tunnel
    It's About Space
    My Mother the Car
    The Fugitive
    Rawhide
    The Big Valley
    Bonanza
    Q. T. Hush
    Astro Boy

Lots more

williebill and perk03 like this.
  9. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

They came to our small town and filmed, a couple guys with Corvettes went to the film shoot location and watched. 1963 I think

10. In the first season, my buddy and I watched every episode, but by year three, we were too interested in our projects to watch much TV at all. The way I remember it at the time, George Maharis was more popular than Milner. George had a couple of records that did pretty well at the time.
    Bob

11. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

This was the first show to feature "on location" shooting and a travelling crew to do pick up shots for the production. Later this became very common. Made it much cheaper to create vivid realism. Love Route 66 and Martin Milner.

stillrunners likes this.
  12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Was Milner the brother of John Milner? LOL

Andamo and stillrunners like this.
  13. I watched it when I was
    LOL they got streets in San Francisco that they have stairs. :D

Elcohaulic likes this.
  14. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

as a kid it was a cool show, but now i view "those boys" as a couple of odd ducks with too much money and time on their hands. perhaps their families paid them to stay away from home to save further embarrassment?

15. perk03

perk03
    from VA

16. toml24

toml24

About Route 66, I remember the episode on Catalina Island, with someone getting their foot stuck between some rocks with the tide coming in, and later, another episode when Martin Milner was thrown/fell off a very tall bridge, and showed up later just slightly water logged. Very intense, high drama stuff for a very young viewer as I was.

seb fontana likes this.
  17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well I'm diggin it. Reminds me a little of The Fugitive, one of my favorites. Different location/job/plot every episode. If I run out of youtube freebies I may have to find a DVD or something.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  18. Watched it as a kid growing up and it was sooo cool compared to what the parents regularly watched....think my mom was the California influence with her brother my Uncle Lawrence with his Vette's she was trying to show us here in Texas. Yep might have been cheezie - but they came long before the other TV car focused shows.

19. David - one of the neighborhood Henderson boys - went against the family FoMoCo only rule - and bought a used Vette this same color in the early 70's and sold it a little later - you can always hear him kicking his rear when we all get together.

20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Tonight's episode was quite a surprise, starring none other than Lon Cheney, Peter Lorre and Boris Karloff all working together! Wow! And, not to mention, the Executive Secretaries of the Midwest (all piling out of a Corvair van). Cornball? Maybe, but at least upbeat for a change, and worth a look just for those three screen icons. Here is the episode:

rusty valley, alfin32 and cad-lasalle like this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great theme song. The orchestration overlay sounds like the same theme music they used in Silver Streak with Gene Wilder, the piano is obviously a rendition of Nat King Cole's version of Route 66. I could listen to that all day.

5window and williebill like this.
  22. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Betcha didn't know the theme had lyrics - Sultry jazz singer Teri Thornton took it on:

23. You left off the “good” westerns.
    Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, Have Gun Will Travel, Laramie, Tales of Wells Fargo, The Virginian, Maverick, The High Chaparral, Wanted Dead or Alive, Cheyenne ...and if you go way back Cisco Kid and Hopalong Cassidy.
    Rawhide was good too. Look up Eric Fleming, interesting story.

24. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

My dad has me hooked on a show called baa baa black sheep, fighter planes show. Really good.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

That Route 66 show captivated all of us during that time. It was the freedom to go where you wanted and to be able to drive a cool car while traveling. As teens, that freedom feeling was one reason to learn to drive and drive well. The open road for us was driving to Bixby Knolls, our local high school and plenty of miles down the coastline in search of those elusive waves. Shows like Route 66 just made it possible in our minds.

During this time, my mom was trying to learn to drive. I had the job of teaching her to drive the 58 Impala with the 3 speed. My brother would not touch that job with a 10 foot pole, so it fell on me. My mom was determined to get a car for herself and become more independent. Despite what the housewives did back then during these classic times, she wanted to be independent and learning to drive was important. The Route 66 show was an impetus to get the ball rolling. She had no idea of what a Corvette was, as she had never seen one in her life, in real time. But, learning to drive was the first step, and I was the chosen one. Great, so now 4 cars with a two car garage…

Jnaki

She learned how to get going in the 3 speed Impala, shift when it was time and control the non power steering wheel. She learned to not jam on the brakes, but to use a soft pre-emptive touch so as to not scare the guy behind us. But, stepping in and keeping that heavy duty clutch was a chore for a 5’2” lady. Some starts were bucking bronco starts, but the shifts were nice. After several weeks of driving all over Long Beach, she decided that it was too much.

So, she agreed to pay to make the 58 Impala from a stick shift to an automatic as fast as possible. WHAT??? No more stick shift? No more speed shifting on the column? Just when we were getting good at doing those fast shifts, too. But a new C&O Stick Hydro was an automatic, wasn’t it? One week later, the 58 Impala was faster as the “automatic” transmission made it that much quicker off of the starting line, thanks to my mom. For her, it was driving in “D” all of the time.

The next thing after getting good at driving the 58 Impala all over was to get her own car. The Route 66 gave her the idea that a smaller car would be easier to handle and park in the garage. So, she remembered the Route 66 Corvette and wanted to go look at them. A 60s mom driving a Corvette was going to be a classic photograph for sure. If she could pry the Corvette away from her youngest son.

She liked the TV show and the times on the road. But, in real life, the top was too confining and without the top, women had to wear a bandana to keep their hair styles in place. So, she realized a Corvette was out of the picture, but she continued to watch that TV show until it was cancelled. There went our teenage Corvette escapades and road trips, too… She took over the 58 Impala two times a week for weekly groceries and shopping with her friends. What a sight, 4 older moms cruising around in a sleek black 58 Impala with a powerful engine and a C&O Stick Hydro. Yikes…

But, that fleeting memory of a possible Corvette for the teenage brothers was nice while it lasted.

26. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

There is one of these CEO's located in Warsaw, VA. Looks like someone is working on it, same cab but with a flatbed.

27. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

COE, I can type and I can spell, just cannot do both at the same time!

28. I wasn't aware they actually had crew cabs that today alot of guys are building.

29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Love Rawhide. Actually all those Westerns. Didn't know about Fleming, tough life. Thanks.

wraymen likes this.
  30. I don't have a Route 66 story to tell but I do have a Corvette experience.
    In 1962, my brother and I took a road trip in his '59 Corvette from Chicago to Florida, looping both coasts. So it pre-dates Route 66 TV by a couple of years.
    We relay drive 20 hours straight on the state roads (no 'interstate') for our first tag-up in Florida proper-
    We sleep in the Corvette maybe a half dozen times and get a motel room maybe 3 times-
    We make our bankrolls of $120-ish each last for 9 days-
    We drive on "The Beach" at Daytona Beach-
    I can't recall what Florida town, but we meet 2 young gals at a beach and they ask us to drive them somewhere in town. So my brother is driving and the girls are sitting on various parts of me in the top-down Corvette. Plus they invite us to a house party later that night-
    Along the way, we stop at a tourist trap and drink all the orange juice we can for 10 cents-
    And more tourist traps to see alligators, monkeys, and where Sea Hunt TV and old-time Tarzan movies were filmed-
    We stop to top off for 19.9 cents a gallon more than once, not in Florida but in the boonies getting there and back-
    The Atlantic surf will knock you down but the Gulf will lap at your ankles-
    The Everglades is a very exotic drive for an hour but a few hours later it's pretty boring-
    But we did stop in the 'Glades to see a Seminole guy wrassle 'Gators-
    Corvettes attract police in Florida just like back home, but we were blessed with "slow down" grace and no tickets-

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    55 Ford Gasser likes this.