Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Things that go bump on the elbow

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Artworx, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Artworx

Artworx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a mid century GM vehicle of the 10 variety which I won't identify so that you'll read this whole string. It is in very good shape and I'm working through the drivetrain stuff a little at a time while keeping it drive-able. BUT I have issue with the door mechanisms and the window cranks. I know I could prevail on our little brothers of the east for reproductions with newer orifices and serrated or spliney handles, but I'm not sure that their work is any better than what I've got now. I replaced the lock sets and if anything, its worse. My dad worked in aircraft and he taught me much tighter tolerances. Is there an approach to rebuilding the moving points with shim metal to tighten them up? Where would I find information on this? I've tried C-10 forums but there don't seem to be any smart old guys there.

2. squirrel

squirrel

what specific problem does it have?

It's pretty common for the 73-up trucks to have worn hinge bushings, that allow the door to "sag", and this is really hard on the latch mechanism and striker pin. And the window regulators wear out because they don't get lubrication every decade like they need.

but your post is so vague, that we can only guess.....

3. indyjps

indyjps

Put the flat shiny thingy in between the round thinga mabob with pokey-outies, then install the winder upper with the spinny knobber, make sure to use the skinny round clipper doodle, see if it still goes shakey shakey.

4. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In what universe does replacing the lock sets improve the window mechanism? that's like cutting your toe nails because your elbow hurts. Take apart, straighten if needed, replace worn if needed, lubricate, re-install. window guide channel felts might need love too.